Professor Paddle: September Rogue River Trip Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: September Rogue River Trip Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
September Rogue River Trip (Trip Quick View)
Find out more details by Viewing the Trip Page
Rogue  (5. Grave Creek (Galice) to Foster Bar (Agness))   Class III (IV)   Min 1200 cfs    |    Max 20000 cfs   Current 8010 cfs (Reported on 1/31/2017 8:30:00 AM)
Trip Leader : Wiggins
Contact # : 2532556520
Meeting Time : 9/17/2010 10:00:00 AM
Meeting Place : TBA
Paddlers Paddling
rokmnky , Paddledog , pottert , JeffJ , NolanOnTheRiver , Steven M , JayN , up4air
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wiggins Replybullet Topic: September Rogue River Trip Discussion Thread
    Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 3:32am

This is the September Rogue River Trip discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the September Rogue River Trip | Trip Page

I have a Rogue River permit this fall and am looking for people interested in going. Assuming all my strong maybes confirm I will have five open seats on the permit.

Right now I have no rafts going. If I can't find raft support I will take the canoe and hopefully convince someone to paddle my IK's for a little bit of extra gear hauling capability.

Right now I am just trying to compile a list of who is interested in going. It would be a shame to see the permit not get filled completely so chime in if you are game. If space becomes an issue I'll make a final trip list in August to confirm who is going.

Kyle

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Steven M
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Steven M Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 10:39am
Kyle
I would be interested in going.  I have a kayak but I know some one with a raft that might be interested.
Steve McCollough
Steve McCollough
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:32am
Yeah Kyle sounds like a rad trip. How many days do you intend to go? I would be down if the schedule works out. I have no raft though but can guide part time if need be. Let me know.
NolanOnTheRiver
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote NolanOnTheRiver Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 2:13pm
I'm in.  I have a 15' cat and can handle a bunch of gear.  Up to 1300 lbs total or something ridiculous.   

I've already responded as paddling as login name Nolanblake, but for some reason my account never got accepted which was really annoying.  I'll add my name as attending as well so disregard my previous attempt.
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 10:40pm
Is this a creek boat trip or would my play boat be cool. never been on the rogue but definitely very interested on going.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 4:47pm
A play boat would be fine for this run. Most of the river is class II. We are looking at three or four days on the river.

Kyle
I smell bacon
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:43pm
Cool, yeah I am totally game
kebm1979
Paddler
Paddler

Quote kebm1979 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 9:30am
hey kyle,
lucky you got a permit, i'm jealous.  i keep getting skunked.  I grew up down there and have run the rogue 10+ times.  sept is great time for it.
one of my friends who i have run the river with multiple times still lives down there and has 14' self bailer.  let me know if you still need raft support.  although i'm guessing he'd like to take his girlfriend, and i'd like to take mine in IK too.  so that's four peeps stealing your spots so it might only work if have more people drop as i don't want to come in and hog your permit from ya
anyways let me know. if nothing else you might be able to just hook up and invite my friend and his raft. 

have fun.
bests,
kristian
the kayaker, who always wishes he owed a raft so he could do more multiday trips...

Everyday has at least one happy hour
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 2:47am
Here's an update:

Right now I have five confirmed, and I am waiting for the last of my prepost invites to let me know if they are in before I start sending out invites from the list. They said they will have an answer for me Friday night. Unfortunately even if they choose to stay home I can't take everyone on the trip.

On the plus side we do have raft (or rather cataraft) support for the trip.

I underestimated the amount of interest in this trip when I applied for the permit and think it would be great if we could get everyone on the water. I am thinking about teaming up with someone to see if we can get a cancellation permit on the same weekend and join forces to make a big PP trip. Any volunteers to go after the cancellation permit?

Kyle
I smell bacon
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:37am
Kyle,

Post the details. I will go after one. I know my wife would enjoy that trip and now that she has an IK and I have a raft we would be into it!

J
kebm1979
Paddler
Paddler

Quote kebm1979 Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:52am
http://www.wildrogue.com/private-boaters-info.htm
This is the place to check for cancellations for the Rogue.  In the past I have always found it was best to call to get the latest information. However at this point the most likely way to get a cancellation would be ten days before the trip as that is when a lot of people cancel.  It also might be worth checking the day before and after your start date.
One time I little put on the river at 9pm as I had to put on that day, but other issues made me really late to the put in.  I then just paddle down to my friends just downstream of graves creek.  It was a beautiful full moon paddle i'll never forget...

km
Everyday has at least one happy hour
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 1:03am
The trip is full. If anyone wants to try to get a cancellation permit and link up with us let me know and we'll work out the details.

Kyle
I smell bacon
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:41am
So is there a list from PP who is invited?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:00pm
Just an FYI, I paddled the rogue this last weekend so if you want any thoughts or beta let me know. Anyone that wants to go should have no problem picking up cancellations on the open float space part of the blm website. Also, who ever is taking the canoe down needs to have a Go Pro following them through Mule Canyon - I would enjoy that footage 
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:33pm
James,

I am still considering whether or not to take the canoe.

How was the river at that level? I have found a lot of beta on what to expect at 1,200 CFS, and 6,000 CFS, but not a lot for the 2,500-3000 FS range that we are likely to see next week. Was Blossom Bar starting to get pushy? What was Rainey Falls, Tyee Rapids, and Mule Creek Canyon (especially the coffee pot) like? Any other places I should be concerned about as a possible open boater? Is there a lot of surf waves at this level?

Where did you put in and camp, and what would you do differently next time?

Thanks,

Kyle
I smell bacon
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:58am
I would take the canoe if you have a shortage of crafts but I don't think I would load it up with gear for Mule Creek Canyon, your going to want to light boat in there for sure!

Rainie Falls was meaty on the main line, we ran the middle chute and it went ok, the fish ladder looked a bit boney. I would run the main falls in a kayak but in a gear boat alone it seemed like a trip ender at the beginning of the run so we opted for the sneak.

Tyee was almost un-noticible we floated right threw it and then later when we were looking for campsites we realized that we had already passed it... oops!

Mule Creek Canyon is not so much whitewater as it is churning eddies and a super tight canyon. Everyone we camped with gave hours of beta on the coffee pot along with sand diagrams and death stories, scout it and decide if you like. We ended up floating right through it, I smack an oar on the wall just below coffee pot trying to keep the boat straight but it was nothing much, just made me feel a little sloppy. Nothing but scenery down to blossom bar.

NOTE: If you get to Mule Creek camp which is where our photos are from and where we camped on day 2 . If that spot is full everyone will tell you not to go further because there is no camping above blossom from that point. It is not true. There are several more smaller spots and then what I thought was the coolest beach of the whole run, right after mule creek right in that tight little gorge before blossom. Just a thought, it is not perfect sand but it is a sweet beach.

Blossom was scout worthy for rafts. Kayaks could just float through catch the first little eddy and be fine but in a gear raft you have to work for it. I watched several folks pin and wrap in the boulder fence. Not pretty. You can walk around but that was not too pretty either.

Tons of surf waves litter the run, nothing super epic but I saw quite a few I wished I had my playboat for.

Put in graves creek, night 1 just above slim pickins, night 2 mule creek, night 3 tate creek. Take out Foster Bar

Do differently : put sunscreen on my feet, as a kayaker it never really hit me how bad those would get burned. I would also leave a few beers for the drive out that damn coastal route. it was 1.5 hours of twisty slow mountain roads that a beer would have been nice on. Use Galice Resort for the shuttle they are the only bonded and insured company (or thats what aaron at sotar told me) they did a good job.

There is a fire ban so unless something changes plan on no fires.

Hope that helps. Take a ton of pictures oh and let me know if you want to borrow my waterproof run guide. They are 15$ down at galice resort and worth buying so you can ready about history and see maps with rapids / camps.

Have fun, shouldn't be hard.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 11:33am
$15! If you are talking about the Leidecker guide I feel ripped off! Everywhere else in the english speaking world they are $25!

We have two gear boats, so if I run the canoe it should be pretty light with just my personal gear bag. It handles the swirlies and boils better than any boat I own so I am guessing Mule Creek Canyon would not be a huge challenge.

It sounds like you had better weather than we are supposed to get.

Were people jumping at Sports Illustrated Rock?

Thanks for the beta.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 11:45am
Nice pics by the way.

Kyle
I smell bacon
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 12:12pm
Correct they sell it printed in a waterproof version which is what I am talking about. I saw a much more indepth book another group had with charc arrows for every eddy line in mule canyon, seamed a bit overboard to me, but helpful if you were looking for that kind of thing.

I would also recommend checking out Tate Creek that was pretty cool just to hike in the little grotto gorge. The pool is totally packed full of salamanders too.

Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 2:07pm

We are planning on stopping at Tate Creek. It is one of the few things I remember from the when I did the Rogue in the 5th grade. How was the waterslide?

Kyle
I smell bacon
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 11:01am
So I saw all the photos but never heard an update on the trip.

How was it?
Looks like you got some rain down there, was it just one day or the whole trip?
Any bear sightings or problems?

Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 2:50pm
The trip was great, but there were a few things I will change if I get a permit next year.

We camped at the Argo two miles upstream of Grave Creek Thursday night because it was free and we could launch there the next day. There was a lot of room, but if it were busy we would have been pressed for usable campsites. As a launch area it was fantastic. It had a large flat beach with more room than the boat ramp at Grave Creek.

Next time I will definately make this a four day trip. We were late getting on the river Friday and had to pull a 18 mile day on Saturday. The river was beautiful, and just enough witewater to keep things interesting. At Rainey Falls the raft and cat boat ran the meat of the falls as did one kayaker and Rochelle on the riverboard. I led a couple kayakers down the fishladder, and a couple of people ran the dory chute. The dory chute and the main line on the falls looked like good places to destroy the canoe. Mule Creek Canyon was awesome. We hit it around 2400 CFS and some of the boil lines were higher than the gunnels of my canoe, but we did not have any carnage there or at Blossom Bar.

We camped at Wildcat Camp, and Gleason Right Camp for our river nights. Wildcat was great, but I would say that groups should leave a little extra time to put miles behind them after Blossom Bar to get to the better camps downstream of Gleason. The camp itself was ok, but the beach was steep and rocky which made loading and unloading the boats a pain in the ass.

It started raining When we passed Grave Creek on Friday, and rained off and on until we passed Illahe Lodge right before the take out. The worst rain was as we were breaking camp at Wildcat, and in camp the night we stayed at Gleason (I had four inches of water in my canoe in the morning).

I found the rapids were way over rated, and the Leidecker river guide was not always very helpful. The mileages were off, sometimes by wide margins, and some rapids that were much more significant than rapids that had big write ups in the book were not even mentioned.

We had one deer cut us off on the river but other than that we did not have any encounters with the local wildlife. I was sort of dissappointed to because we were ready for whatever may come! We had a bear fence, bear spray, a revolver with blank and live rounds, a pepper spray grenade, and a very alert asain woman who slept under the kitchen tarps because she did not bring a tent.

We stopped at Tate Creek and hit the waterslide. Next time I am bringing a rope ladder so everyone on the trip can enjoy it.

All in all it was a great trip, but I am going to put in for a summer permit next year and pull a cancellation permit in the late season if I don't get one in the lottery.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 2:55pm
We used Galice Resort for our shuttle, but after seeing Bear Camp Rd on the way back I think it would make a great scooter shuttle.

Kyle
I smell bacon
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 3:04pm
I saw some bear poop! It was at one of our many, many potty stops... this one was not a camp site. 
More water, please.
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 10:58am

More water, please.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version