Professor Paddle: Sultan Volunteers Needed (Sat June 19) vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: Sultan Volunteers Needed (Sat June 19) - Event Date: 19 Jun 2010 Post Reply Post New Topic
okeefe
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote okeefe Replybullet Calendar Event: Sultan Volunteers Needed (Sat June 19)
    Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 8:11pm
Need a few volunteers for a Saturday of work on the trail. This is really important in our efforts to get a long-term program of flows for the Sultan River.

We can all go paddle after we put in a few hours--was hoping to do this in August but the Forest Service wants our help with the trail now.

American Whitewater has scheduled a work party with Washington Trails Association for Saturday June 19 from 8:30-3:00 to work on the Sultan River trail into the gorge on the Upper Sultan. Please respond to info@americanwhitewater.org if you can make it.

Details here:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/30748/display/full/

Edited by James - 02 Jun 2010 at 9:09pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 12:39am
I'm in!!!

Come join me.  I think I'll be bringing my gas weed eater...  Guessing that will help clear a trail!

H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 9:35am
I am just throwing a guess out there, but the general theme of this work party seems like trail repair for over usage of the trail that the miner made. I personally doubt that it was over usage in the sense of too many paddlers, more like over usage in the sense of not just the miner. The trail from my memory is going to need gravel and or some type of drainage design. We were sloggin through knee deep mud at times out there so my thought is bring a shovel and a pick !!!

What is also interesting is that the first email which went out made it sound like future flows were contingent upon paddlers repairing and maintaining this trail system. Although that sounds reasonable to me a few folks that I have spoken with don't seem to agree.

See photo above of the Trail Conditions

Edited by James - 02 Jun 2010 at 9:39am
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 2:55pm
Wish I could make it but I'm sure I'll be working that weekend. If that changes, I'll let you know.

If any of you happen to find the drainplug to ( my previous ) Diablo, I'll buy you a 24 pack of your favorite canned beer, or two six packs of your favorite bottled beer, whichever costs more. It got lost on the hike down. But it's black, so I'm sure the wild NW forest has swallowed it up never to be seen again, but I could use a spare, just in case you happen upon it!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
okeefe
Paddler
Paddler

Quote okeefe Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 7:09pm
First of thanks to those who have stepped up!

Theme of the day is to repair a couple of the worst spots on the miner trail. PUD stepped up with some materials, WTA has offered to help coordinate, and USFS has asked for our help. We need to answer the call on this one. The plan is to develop a new trail (USFS has been doing some recon on the route) but they've asked us to help with some repairs on the old trail before they start. Future flows are not entirely contingent on a good volunteer turnout but it will definitely help our cause--i.e. USFS is facing challenging management issues and we enhance our standing by being part of the solution.

If anyone has further questions or concerns please drop me a line.

BTW--Sultan watch for this weekend.

Right now (6 PM on Wednesday), the reservoir is at 1448.5' and the South Fork is flowing at around 900 cfs which puts total inflow into Spada at 4,000 cfs.  It's unlikely the utility will be able to keep ahead of that and Friday's forecast is for rain--in other words it's likely the project will spill (occurs at 1450'). Worth watching for a potential opportunity.
Thomas O'Keefe
PNW Stewardship Director
American Whitewater
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 11:55am
THANK YOU!

If anybody is going, PLEASE call me at

two oh six 931-6486 I'm always down for the Sultan! 
H2O please
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version