Professor Paddle: Refinishing a paddle. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Refinishing a paddle. Post Reply Post New Topic
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wiggins Replybullet Topic: Refinishing a paddle.
    Posted: 27 May 2010 at 11:29pm
I got my lost paddle back, but two weeks in the river were not kind to it. The finish that Werner puts on it's paddles was worn away completely down to glass in a couple of places on the shaft and the blades. Structurally the paddle seems fine. I put a lot of weight on it, and later I tried to focus pressure on the affected areas; it seemed as sound as my other Werners. I would like to keep it that way.

Does anyone have any advice on what varnish, resin, goo, etc. to put on it to protect the fibers?

Kyle
I smell bacon
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Shaun
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Shaun Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2010 at 12:40am
I would find a good Epoxy resin, thinned down a little, and roll it on. One side at a time so that it can be flat to cure and hopefully that will keep it from running.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:45am
Striaght up this is what you want-and Absolutely No other product:

West Systems Epoxy by Gougeon

Make sure you get the pumps to calibrate your ratios for an idiot-proof cure for your epoxy!

Seriously. Absolutely don't waste your time or money on anything else what so ever. If it's good for Jim Snyder, Kieth Backlund, Pual Schriener, ect. It's what you want to use.
Period.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2010 at 1:46pm
how bad is the damage?  that will determine how you fix it.
  if it's just the gel coat/finish and you want it to be smooth, a 2 part polyeurethane, can give you a nice finish, with some uv protection. 

if its a small ding consider a $5 tube of suncure resin for surfboards, proper prep and good as new. 

If your real serious sure buy a $40 pint of west systems epoxy, kicker, and a whole lot of assorted stuff to prep, and mix and clean, and sand etc if its worth it.  fiberglass work is relatively easy,  all the info is out there on the internet. 

if you have more questions let me know.  I just reseamed my squirt boat and am working on some other glass projects right now. 
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:06pm
There is no damage to the fibers, but they are exposed in a couple places. I just want to protect the exposed fibers.

Kyle
I smell bacon
jyojt
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jyojt Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:35am

i personally would use FG resin.  you are just re-coating it to keep the material from delamitating and fraying.  epoxy resin would be the toughest but fiberglass resin if not mixed very hot would be almost as tough and about 1/8 the price.  just remember the hotter you mix with catalyst the more brittle it will be and more likely to chip off.  before you apply it, scuff up the surface a little with some 120 sandpaper to make it adhere better

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:02pm
Well, if it's a really microscopic repair you are talking about and $ is a concern, I could see going with a smaller product.

The thing about West Systems is that mixing it is fail-safe if you use the pumps. Personally, I think any extra price is worth the piece of mind of knowing that your mix will be just right, especially when you consider that you'll have to put the same amount of time into it no matter what. Then you don't have to worry about it or the longevity of your repair.

And in the paddle sports industry and the marine industry, it's pretty much what the pros use.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jyojt
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jyojt Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 8:17am
well in that case you can go down to home depot and get a epoxy repair kit for like $10 that looks like a syringe.  its the same thing, just not as much.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:53pm
JP do you  get a west systems kick back?

seriously a minor touch up, use any kind of two part epoxy or resin, (maybe not jb weld)sand the surface, slap some two part mix on, let it cure, sand.  the proper mix isnt that important for this, it either kicks or it doesnt.  if it kicks it sticks then go boating.

suncure epoxy for surfboards is no mixing works well, has a nice finish is cheap,  i've watched squirt boaters put in on, put the squirt boat on the truck head to breakfast, head to the water and put on, no problems.

iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:55pm

addition to the above, if you want get a clear two part syringe from home depot or wherever,  its just glasswork not rocket science.

Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 8:31pm
Thanks for the tips. From the general consensus here, and seeing as it is a paddle that I hardly ever use with pretty superficial damage I think I will use the cheap stuff. It also helped that I found some in my patrol car that I forgot I had for a modification I was going to make to my last car before I totalled it. I guess everthing does work out in the end!

Kyle
I smell bacon
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by iron monkey

JP do you  get a west systems kick back?

seriously a minor touch up, use any kind of two part epoxy or resin 

ok ok- fair enough!
I mean, without seeing it, I don't know how intensive a repair is reqired. And I'm not a fiberglass repair guru by any stretch. Just recommending what I know works. Good luck with it, Kyle.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version