Professor Paddle: Boat giveaway at PP Ball! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Boat giveaway at PP Ball! Post Reply Post New Topic
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote irenen Replybullet Topic: Boat giveaway at PP Ball!
    Posted: 19 May 2010 at 10:57am
Dan (tiziak) asked me to post this for him since he is neck-deep in Professor Paddle ball prep.  Here's the official scoop on a great swag opportunity that I believe will be done via raffle at the Ball:

Charles from AquaSports Kayak Shop in Redmond is teaming up with Pyranha for the Matt Thomas benefit at the Professor Paddle Ball.  Together they are giving away the winner's choice of a 2010 Pyranha Burn or a 2010 Pyranha Molan, the new playboat which is getting rave reviews - any size or color of either boat.  This is a great opportunity to get that brand new playboat or creekboat you've been wanting, and help out one of our fellow kayakers at the same time!

It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 11:11am
I believe the boat is going to be auctioned. We want to try and raise the most we can for Matt and believe that would be the best approach.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 11:33am
Can we PLEASE get some feedback from kayakers (all of you reading this) who plan on going to the ball?

The two scenarios Dan and I talked about for the boat giveaway were a) an auction for the boat, or else b) having a separate raffle for it.  Raffle ticket prices we talked about were $10 each, or 3 for $20, or 5 for $30, or 10 for $50, that kind of thing.

The kayakers I've talked to have liked the raffle idea best since everyone has the exact same chance to win and it's not dependent on who has more money.  I personally am biased because I'm not the personality type to bid on a boat, but I would definitely fork out for raffle tickets, especially to benefit a good cause - however, maybe that's not the best way to go about it, I have little experience with this stuff except for what I personally like.

It would be GREAT to get some feedback from other kayakers as to what they think would go over best and be most likely to raise money for the Matt Thomas benefit, so if you're reading this and would like to share your 2 cents worth here please do - thanks!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:00pm
Well, if raising money for a charitable cause is the sole objective, the auction may best accomplish that. Then again, kayakers are for the most part not the kind of people to (be able to) throw money around, and I suppose that a raffle could easily raise the equivelent amount:

Let's say someone would bid as high as $750 for a new Burn.
If everyone spent $20 bucks on raffle tickets individually that would mean you'd need about 38 people to raise about the same amount.

Granted some people will buy more tickets to increase their odds.

thinking this through I think a raffle could do the trick. Personally, I don't have the cash to outbid some of you folks with well paying jobs. But I could at least buy a raffle ticket or three, depending on how my tips are next time I transport livestock.

Someone feel free to take this logic further or shoot holes in it...

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:05pm
Absolutely, please through in ideas. Dan and I and others were discussing it last weekend and there are valid points either way. We just want to help Matt as much as possible. 
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:13pm
If raising money is the main goal and not making it a potential door prize for the ball then why not open it up to online raffle purchases like what was done with the First Descents raffle last year. This would open the raffle up to a larger audience. I, for example, am stuck doing something else this weekend, but would buy raffle tickets.

I realize that it might be a little late in the game to get that coordinated.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Aukija
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Aukija Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:20pm
Raffle tickets will more than likely bring in more money, and like jp wrote i would buy some too but bidding is not in my budget.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:23pm

Hi Kyle,

I agree the online sales would have been great but unfortunately things got rolling a bit late to get that coordinated this year.  But it's helpful to know you would have bought tickets, I did for the last Matt Thomas raffle too.

Thanks,

Irene

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 2:27pm
--- Historically ---
No question that Raffle tickets if sold online would bring in more money (I helped tobin, I know- its way more work too), raffle tickets at the live event will not however bring in more money, I also know from experience from both sides(raffles with boats and raffles without). The boat auctioned will more than likely bring in between $700 - $800 as JP mentioned. I highly doubt your going to get 38 folks buying in at $20. More like 10 or so at the $20 figure and around 20 or 30 at the $10 figure that might even be on the high side considering a lot of people will enter the normal raffle since the odds are much better. Having a side raffle with buy in options ie 3 for 20 or 10 for 50 is totally contradictory to the anti-auction argument as the folks with money to risk now have exponentially better odds. And as Adam mentioned the primary purpose is to raise money for Matt!!!

--- Personally --
If indeed enough people do buy raffle tickets to even approach the boats value then the odds would be so high that I would rather buy all my tickets into the standard raffle where there is going to be tons of things being won and the odds are good.
Aukija
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Aukija Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:04pm
I would not buy a raffle ticket  thinking I was going to win a boat just like I don't buy 50/50 tickets at Silvertips games because I think I am going to win, I buy them to support a cause. Typically an auction brings in only 60% of the value of the item being auctioned. I would think that raffle tickets would be a better way to have people contribute, those that have more money of course can increase their chances by buying more tickets, but everyone has the opportunity to feel like they are contributing, which is what a community does. My vote is raffle.
CEEMGEE
WW Industry
WW Industry
Aquasports Paddling Store

Quote CEEMGEE Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:40pm
I second the above and vote for a raffle.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2010 at 6:15pm
Thanks for your feedback everyone, I'm for whatever works.
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:16am
One of my concerns with raffling the boat is that we already have a raffle for the rest of the swag. Besides the obvious confusion with 2 raffles. People will be coming up with a budget to spend on raffle and would for the most part rather spend there money on a chance for a boat than a guaranteed smaller prize(s) in the general raffle. I think that this would overall yield a lower amount since the alternative is that everyone spend their budget on the general raffle and 1 person spend the big money on an auction.

It's not necessarily about how much the boat brings in but how that also effects the rest of the fund-raising by redistributing funds. I'm not a math major but this was my thought process.
thedave
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote thedave Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:54am
beyond what's already been stated here, the problem with an auction is that it's only of interest to people who are in need of a new boat, or people sitting on gangsta cash and love to throw it around.

*if* it just so happened that i was about to throw down dollars on a new boat, i'd be happy to get in a bidding war.  after all, i'm still getting a new boat, and the money is going to a good cause.  i just wonder how many people happen to be in that place.

however, it's likely that i'll buy a ticket at the ball just because i like it when the odds are stacked against me, and that i don't mind dropping a 10 spot toward a good cause.
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 1:12pm
Kayakers dont have gangsta cash.  If they did they already spent it on beer and gas.  Raffle ticket that MOFO.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 1:17pm
Good points all- I'm glad I'm not closer to the decision making process.  I don't even have Gangsta Coin, much less Cash- but it the boat is raffled I will try to find a way to invest in both raffles... if the boat is auctioned, well, I guess I won't be able to participate in that one. Still, I don't have a strong opinion either way.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 1:18pm
( can you believe that? unprecedentaed!  jP not having a strong opinion about something!  )
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 1:53pm
Not only that, but two posts in a row with a total of three lines of text between them!  Where's your usual wordiness!?!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 1:56pm

Maybe Fisherman's flushed all of the words out of me during last Monday's highwater FITWah run!

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:53pm
I'll bid $20 on the boat... but that's as far as my cash is going. You don't get it from me. I'll give you $20 for a raffle ticket... you get my money... seems pretty easy. We could make it a "bid-raffle" where each time someone buys a ticket, the price they have to pay to win the boat goes up.. like those sh*tty online auction sites. That way, you keep raising the price of the boat and the only way to win is to not win the boat. Doesn't that make sense... that's how I lost all my money on swoopo...
JHB
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:32am
I'll buy some raffle tickets.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2010 at 2:17pm
Hey Adam, I think my thought was that on the one hand it would be silly to have $5 raffle tickets for an $1100 boat, and on the other hand if I pay $10 for a ticket I would prefer to know I'm not going to end up winning a pair of nose plugs, or something like that (slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean. :)  So going just by what I'd personally be likely to do, I'd be fine paying $5 for one raffle ticket and then $10 or $20 for tickets for another raffle in which I know for sure if I win I'll get a new boat - and if not, no big deal, especially if it's for a good cause anyway.  But that's just me.  I'll be fine with whatever works and keeps people happy, if you do go the raffle route I'll do what I can to sell some on Saturday, and if not I guess there's more chance I get to boat. :)

Thanks everyone for all the feedback so far.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:06pm
Just give me the boat and we can end all this pointless debate.

irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:40pm
Since a lot of people have viewed this thread I just thought I'd update it - the raffle and the auctions both went awesome last night, James did a great job of auctioneering and Dan and Adam were excellent as emcees, not to mention organizing most of the Ball in general and Adam creating a ramp that I think will go down in history.  Thanks everyone who contributed to it being a good time and helping out the Matt Thomas benefit.

(Also, rumors of carnage on the Aplets and Cotlets mission but I wasn't there so others will have to tell that story - if they're talking. :)
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version