Professor Paddle: Rant & Rave vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Rant & Rave Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Rant & Rave
    Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:58am
For everyone's knowledge, a new Forum has been created by popular request. The forum is called Rant & Rave and is a subforum in private community discussions. Unlike the private community discussion forum where most of the threads are beneficial and relevant just not appropriate for the public, such as FERC discussions or Injury discussions etc... Where we don't want to shed bad light on paddling through web indexed discussions, the Rant & Rave area is the opposite. It is a private forum not listed on the homepage or for indexing where people can openly spout off. It is clear that we need to get a tighter grip on what we allow in our general forums so this room will be open so folks don't feel censored and at the same time we can all ignore the activity if we choose.

Right now I have decided to limit Leif's posting capabilities to this forum. He can still post to other areas but they must be approved by a moderator first. He can also start threads but they must be approved. I have decided to do this because for several months now I have fielded requests for such action by members of this community and our sponsors for the event.

In a matter of Days a new team of moderators will have the choice to allow him free reign again however for the last couple of days that I am moderating this is how it will be.

For everyone that has been disgusted by all this, I am sorry, I apologize, I have certainly not been above foolish behavior myself. I hope we can all soon enjoy a better run system.

James
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2010 at 12:28pm
Can I make the decisions? Come on! It will be entertainin if noting else.
Sure?
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2010 at 8:40pm
I believe that the rant and rave Forum is a great idea. It will allow people who want to read the drama, to read it, and will help keep the rest of the forum on topic.

Professor Paddle now has it's own smoke filled room....

Maybe someday we will all be able to discuss what we have a passion for without feeling the need to attack others.

Attack rapids, not boaters.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:03pm
sounds like a decent solution-- I guess it means that when threads get afflicted with the Dreaded Thread Rot, they will get bounced into the Rant and Raves section?

As a Recovering Ranter, I applaud this decision, and encourage the members of this forum to remind me if I lapse into a Ranting state- to call me out for it, and hopefully even that will not be needed. But if so, please do it. Keep me honest if I fail to toe the line.

More forum discussions about kayaking would be great...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:22am
More boat less bash. Agreed.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:22am
Frankly, I think it's better to delete offending posts and retain a thread that may be valuable.  Many threads were lost to bashing, and if the point is to end the bashing, I don't think it's productive to also lose good posts that are on-topic. 

I think the community should come together to decide on some basic rules.  I think this is critical because people needs some equality in how they are moderated. 

I'd suggest that at 3 deleted posts in a 1 month period, a user gets a 1 week ban.  deleted posts aren't tracked after 1 month, and future violations result in longer bans, culminating in permament bans. 

This way, mods are all operating from the same perspective.  Don't want the "dad said no I'll go ask mom" philosophy taking hold, or else moderation will become even more contentious.  
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:42am
I'd also like to say that I don't agree with the summary banning of Leif. I dislike any policy that is oriented around one individual, rather than around solving problems our community agrees need addressing. 

I think Leif should be re-instated to full posting privileges, and subject to whatever moderation policies are put in place.  If that results in a ban, or if Leif chooses not to participate under such restrictions, it's all good. 

I think this community is at a more dangerous moment than is perhaps understood.  If moderation is not impartial, fair, and as unobtrusive as possible, it has the potential to be a very destructive force here -- more so than a bit o' sh*t talking from time to time.  Hence my hesitance to be a part of it.  Though I will, if voted in. 

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:24pm

Very articulate, Brian. You raise good points. Thanks. I think that all sounds sensible.

I suppose that based on some of my own behavior in the past I'd hesitate to moderate. I will vote for others than myself for sure. I know you expressed your hesitance, Brian, but you're one of the people I would vote for because you have always been very even keeled and, well, moderate. Reasoned and balanced.

Me? If the community decided I should be one, then I would accept it for a trial run and we can see how I do. But It isn't important to me or something I desire. Part of me has been tempted to give up on this "Community", but that's a cop out. Another part of me wants to see it flourish a lttile better, and to allow all the other sapects of the site to shine and not be so overshadowed by the Forums.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:30pm
We all know Leif has burned some bridges, but I think this is over the top to single him out.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:36pm

I would agree, but part of me isn't sure. It sounds like there was some "Backroom" stuff going on on his end that was rather Nafarious, but details are vague. Still, I agree that everyone needs to be treated fairly and equally. That's the bedrock of society afterall.

Ya gotta admit though for things to get this out of hand, well, it's abnormal. Anyone who's going to entangle themselves in an endless game of tit for tat has to relaize the potential for things to backfire in a collossal way. That's what I see occuring now.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:46pm
True, I guess I am not as one sided on this issue as I thought.  When an individual tries to take down a community in a hostile way, tit-for-tat will tend to bring forth a mighty bitch slap.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 1:35pm
I wish I could sit and deal out the cards blow by blow so everyone knew what took place when and why but it would be like dragging everyone through a mountain of crap.  A few select folks know and that is enough for me.

I understand you might disagree with my choice to limit Leif's posting ability. For several weeks I have read and ignored his posts regarding me and my failures, I stand by the fact that I did not make this choice because he was attacking me, although for some that might be hard to believe. Not until this last friday when it became an overwhelming flow that was no longer directed at just me did I make the choice to limit his account. The limit on his account was a temporary action while we try and select people to fill a position that is currently under large scrutiny. As you might see not many that are capable wish to be moderators partly because of this behavior. I look forward to a new panel of moderators assuming control of the forum and feeling supported by me even in bringing back Leif and allowing him full use.
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:44pm
Leif asked me to make a post for him. After some discussion with both James and Leif, I chose not to. I will leave it at that. But I do share on of his concerns. That no one should be attacked, bashed, or spoken of, without the ability to repond. So for now, I suggest we refrain from talking about Leif directly on the public forums until he has the ability to reply.

That said, I am going to try and word the following very carefully.  I think most of us agree there have been some threads on here that have gotten out of hand. I hope that we all agree that everyone has a right to have, and to voice, there (beliefs, oppinions, thoughts, etc.)                     (you fill in the blank). People at times have not shown good judgement or discretion in doing this, and have come off as condecending, hurtfull, or as outright attacking others. Sometimes intentional, and sometimes not. I hope that we all agree that this is not the place for that. Some of the problems may hve been avoided had someone (a moderator) simply said "you should reword this", or "remove that phrase", or "are you sure this is the place to voice that".

There have been some concerns already brought up about being "fair", and "consistent" in moderating. And to do so without offending, or seeming like one is taking sides, can be a fine line. I believe one of the driving factors for starting this site was the management, or moderation, of another site.

I, too, will vote for someone else, but I leave my name in there only because I want to support James and this site in whatever way I can. I hope others feel the same way, and we get a board of maderators that can work together to make this site successful for a long time to come.

To anyone who has, or is considering withdrawing from this site, I hope you will give this a chance to work.  Hope to see you on the river.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version