Professor Paddle: Green River Cleanup 2010! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: Green River Cleanup 2010! - Event Date: 01 May 2010 Post Reply Post New Topic
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Calendar Event: Green River Cleanup 2010!
    Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 12:45pm
The 25 Annual
GREEN RIVER CLEANUP

Is set for:
May 1, 2010!

Boaters grab your boats and gear!  On Saturday, May 1, we expect to see a river alive with kayaks, rafts, canoes, inflatable kayaks,
and cat-a-rafts. We want boaters on every reach of the Green River: from Headworks to Whitney Bridge, and perhaps even farther downstream, with sea-kayaks on the Duwamish. The biggest, oldest, best river cleanup in Washington State needs your help to make this year’s Green River Cleanup the best ever.  The Green River Cleanup is organized by primary sponsors Washington Recreational River Runners (WRRR) and Friends of the Green River (FOG). Other sponsors include: Middle Green River Coalition, Washington Kayak Club, Paddle Trails Canoe Club, University Kayak Club, Mountaineers, BEWET, American Whitewater, Sierra Club, Green-Duwamish Watershed Alliance, Washington State Parks, King County, and more.

NEW THIS YEAR: SHANGRI-LA: The owners of Shangri-La on the Green, a beautiful private park deep within the Green River Gorge, have graciously allowed the use of the park for clean-up participants. Camping is available Friday and Saturday night at Shangri-La. We will work out special handling to pick up trash from those taking out at Shangri-La. We will need firewood for the firepit at Shangri-La. If you have some to bring, it would be most appreciated. If you camp at Shangri-La, please help out in cleaning the park. We need to leave it cleaner than we found it. Shangri-La is located about a mile downstream from Paradise. See below for directions.

The Kanaskat-Palmer group camp is also reserved for the cleanup and will be used by some youth groups working as ground crews.

BOATERS:  You’ll stop to pick up trash along the shores and haul it down to Flaming Geyser State Park or Shangri-La. If you have a small boat, you may leave trash onshore by an eddy where a raft can stop to pick it up. If you boat downstream from Flaming Geyser and need to leave trash by the road, let us know to arrange for a pickup. Also, keep in mind due to the closure of much of Flaming Geyser Park, parking will be limited there. Consider an alternate take-out at Shangri-La or Whitney Bridge.

REGISTRATION: 9:00 to noon at Flaming Geyser State Park, Shangri-La or Kanaskat-Palmer State Park. Sign-in and trash bags at either park.

FOOD: After boating and picking up trash, join WRRR at Shangri-La and participate in a Dutch-oven cook-off! This will not just be a  dessert cook-off as in the past, but a full dinner cook-off.

DIRECTIONS TO SHANGRI-LA:

34401 Enumclaw-Franklin Road
Enumclaw, WA 98022
• From 405 take Exit 4 WA-169 S exit toward maple Valley/Enumclaw.
• Continue on 169/ Maple Valley HWY for 18 miles until you get to the small town of Black Diamond.
• Turn left onto Lawson Street.
• Lawson St becomes SE Green River Gorge Road.
• Go over one Lane Bridge , and stay forward to go onto Enumclaw-Franklin Rd SE.
• Look for sign on the right hand side of the road.

Edited by James - 27 Apr 2010 at 3:43pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 12:47pm
I hope to see plenty of PP'ers out on the Green this Saturday! The water won't be too low! Hell, if I can row my 14 foot raft thru the gorge at 800 cfs you can get your little kayak down, right?? 
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 2:59pm
I hope some water makes its way down. 600 is pretty low i dont care what your in.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:14pm
Inflow to HH is actually over 1000 now, but they are recapturing water now for the spring impoundment. Hopefully, we will be getting the full inflow amount on Saturday... We will be in contact with the dam operators as the week progresses and I'll update here as I know more. Pray for rain.

Worth mentioning again: Having access to Shangri-La park for this event is huge. It's in a fantastic location for boaters and normally we don't have access since it's private. It's about a mile below Paradise, which means you can run the gorge, and then get in the next mile of good whitewater in the lower gorge and take out without having to hike up that sh*tty hill at Paradise or float all the way to Flaming Geyser. ALSO, for those wanting a nice 2/3 run on the lower gorge, you can put-in there and not deal with the carry down at Paradise.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:45pm
Sveet.. See ya out there Joe!
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:56pm
From the WRRR list:

the word from the Howard Hansen refill meeting today is that flows this weekend
can improve over current levels if inflow rises.

The USACE will not suspend the refill or supplement outflow as has happened
sometimes in previous cleanups. Because of the low snowpack they can't take a
chance that they will be unable to meet the refill goal. Currently they have
projected an 80% chance of meeting the goal. That is improved over 55% at the
last meeting.

We will know Friday afternoon what they plan to release. Pray for more rain!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 9:14am
Flows have come up!

Come on out and show some LOVE!

The Green is a fantastic natural resource right in Seattle's back yard. Come show your support!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 11:02am
WRRR got word from the USACE today.

The flow tomorrow for the cleanup will not be lower than the current 950 or so, and there'sa  good chance we may get another 50-100 cfs.

SO, it's still low, but we got a decent, boatable flow! I've run the Green at 900-1000 plenty of times, and its quite fun at those levels.

See you on the river!

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:32pm
I am going to camp out at Kanaskat Palmer park so call me or find me in the morning if you need a shuttle or want to boat. I'm gonna bump around and have a good ole time cleaning up the act.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2010 at 8:15am
Twas fun to boat with you larry, and the raft/IK combo was a pretty sweet find Joe, I hope someone got photos of that rig. I was pretty surprised by the Take Out at Shangri La, it is a really nice little spot in the woods. Too bad we can't take out there all the time!!! For those that only run the upper gorge were missing out on a few final quality rapids down below paradise take time one day to float down and check em out.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2010 at 9:34am
Yes, it was a good time! Thanks to everyone who showed up. I think Brian got pics of the raft/IK double-bubble. It may be the wave of the future!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version