Professor Paddle: Sunset Falls Write UP vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Sunset Falls Write UP Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobin Replybullet Topic: Sunset Falls Write UP
    Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:13pm
Sure?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:23pm
That has to be the first clean descent in a kayak isn't it?

I mean now its a two man Club...  At least your not alone Rob.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:46pm
I talked to Tyler yesterday about it. He flushed out of it all upside down and rolled up. He said it was quite "Rowdy". I think he was glad for the increased flow, although he implied it made the monster diagonal more stout to deal with.

man, what an inspiration--both of those guys!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:49pm
oops. sorry-didn't see your link...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:51pm
"It's not as burly as I thought it would be. I want to run it right now."

awesome!!!!!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 9:17am
Man, I am jealous! I wish I could do that for a living...except I don't want all the broken bones and stuff...
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 12:49pm
tyler bradt is a stud. no doubt about it....

i know some of you think i am too negative, but i can't pass on this one.....

i note that someone got "pissed off" and "egged the car"....that's because it's on private property. let this be a reminder to keep relations with locals on an even keel by INVESTIGATING ACCESS RIGHTS before piling into an unkown river and leaving locals (boaters, that is) to deal with the longer-term fallout.....

access information is easily obtainable from local boaters and on AW.

also, in props to our local hero, his skirt blew when he descended.  otherwise it would have been successful....

once again, though, TB is totally insane....insanely good, that is.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 1:03pm
chip, i would guess they probably parked in the same spot we all do when they looked at the falls. by the looks of the 20 photos i saw the crew was about 6 people. easy, bro.
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 5:16pm
brett, when you stop and look at the falls, it's for about 5 minutes. they spent the entire morning there.....

clearly, somebody had a problem with them being there.....so, brett, unless you want to start meeting the police and being cited for trespassing every time you head up to enjoy the falls, maybe you should rethink the merits of my point...

i am not judging tyler and his crew, just using this as a reminder to respect property and be cognizant about long-term relationships with the non-paddling community. 

once again, though, i want to state tyler (and rob) are both f**cking superstars....

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:10pm
yeah, Chipper, You raise a valid point. And I guess they could've asked (or more accurately we should have impressed the Private Property Issue upon them beforehand-- I didn't think of it on Friday's Robe trip)

On the otherhand, the locals are a bit out of hand with the whole issue. It was run in the 1920's for god's sake. This is the 21st century and the few extremely expert Experts should be free to run it if they so choose.

But these private property issues will always be here, and the argument is gonna go back and forth, around and around. Personally I think it's unnecessary. Let the two or three people who want to run it. Nevermind that the next person who runs it could very well die. That's their business.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:11pm
( it's Class VI afterall )
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 9:30pm
i ain't saying don't run it...the restriction up there is really just for parking,,,,after all, you and i put in up there just 2 months ago-but we got dropped off, remember?

......again, i was just trying to raise a broader reminder, not just for sunset but everywhere....it's not like i respect these dumbass landowners, but it's just better for everybody if we don't give them any reason.....

this is an even bigger issue for climbing, and icicle creek is a case-in-point. there are all kinds of tensions between landowners and climbers accessing through or climbing on private property. it just pays to know the deal so you don't inadvertently ruin it for everybody.....

in the end, i am stoked they ran sunset. i would love to be there in person to see someone else run it....
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 8:10am
i'm just tired of the soapboxing. that's all.
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 8:54am
Here's my opinion:

The locals think they own the river and the falls.  That is wrong.  The boaters want to boat.  That it is right.  The fact that they are unwilling to work with ANYONE in the whitewater community shows that they are stubborn and unamerican in their unwillingness to share our waterways.  I've heard that the rafting companies offered to pay for all the road maintenance all year round for the community up there if they could BUY a piece of land to launch from.  They wouldn't even consider it because they thing they own the river and the falls and have the right to keep it from others in their community.

That's all I got to say about that.
MORE RAIN PLEASE
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 9:22am
I think its pretty cool that Tyler fired it up. But, I think there is something to be said for guys like Rob and D1. Nobody pays these guys to boat or climb, yet they are a constant reminder and inspiration for all of us weekend warriors, as to what level we aspire to compete or operate on with hard work and patience. I know Rob's isn't technically human, but come on. Two kayakers have now run this monstrosity of a waterfall. One was either paid to do so, or rather, is just trying to fulfill the agreement to stay on top of the kayaking scene for his sponsors. The other ran it for himself. That, is epic. And mad prop's to D1 for getting a new climbing route published!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 10:34am
Ya, Since JP and Chip are always talking smack about how good they are, I would like to see them fire up Sunset. It is funny how the really good boaters never post about how skilled or good they are or make comments about how others are like driftwood...
Nomad
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 9:22pm
You know dave, I cant remember a post where either chip or JP have talked about how good they are. I can remember them stating well thought out opinions that I tend to agree with. 
Jon Shell Bee
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 9:25pm
Oh and all the beta they take the time to write up, which we all benefit from, but hey lets focus on being negative and talking sh*t behind our computer screens.
Jon Shell Bee
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 9:52pm
Actually JP talks alot about people being driftwood, and Chip always hammers on Leif about his skills. That is what I am talking about.

You will never hear Rob or Dave commenting on peoples skills like those two other guys.
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 9:54pm
I say if you are not firing up class VI then you shouldn't be commenting on other peoples boating skills
Nomad
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 11:50am
Well, I say if you're someone who rarely (ever?) has anything useful to contribute you shouldn't call out those that actually do contribute a lot to this website.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 2:52pm
Bravo fiddleyak.

Dave lately all you have been doing is berating people and posting useless comments. I find the following funny.

Originally posted by dave

Ya, Since JP and Chip are always talking smack about how good they are, I would like to see them fire up Sunset.

Originally posted by dave

I say if you are not firing up class VI then you shouldn't be commenting on other peoples boating skills

Does anyone else find that really contradicting ....??

This thread is about a great feat of skill and courage running Sunset Falls, but yet again you have pulled the attention away from anything beneficial and directed it to negative trash talking. I am of course not surprised.

I like how Ben says nothing about skill, only your participation online. I personally think you and Leif need to get a time share and do a little journaling together ... That sure would increase the positive/value ratio of posts around here.
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:22pm
I agree with septimus and Tiziak!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 8:20pm
And your comments are on topic James? STick to bicycling your better at it. Your also a good asshole too...

Nice mature way to run the web site always changing my Avitar description. That is why Professor Paddle is not a 501C3 and that is why it really isnt all that much of a great resource anymore. One person runs it and immaturally controls it.
Nomad
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 9:21pm
I think this thread is awesome.  I'd love to paddle with Tyler sometime!  Right on!!!  If anybody else fires this up let me know.  I don't mind egg on my pickup

I agree that we should be respectful so we don't lose access to any put-ins... However I have rarely considered putting in where Tyler did to run down to boulder drop so no love lost here... 

I have, however stood on the side and pondered lines.  I wish I could have watched, I doubt any video will do it justice.

I also enjoy the occasional controversy here.  I wish I could earn such an honor as a personal avatar description...

I'll keep working till I do.

H2O please
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version