Professor Paddle: making sense of the SNOTEL vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: making sense of the SNOTEL Post Reply Post New Topic
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Topic: making sense of the SNOTEL
    Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 5:28pm
Browsing the wonderful NWRFC site I clicked on the Snow link and started looking at the SNOTEL data. Does anyone know which station is for the Mt. Adams, and more specifically the glacier that feeds the White salmon river? It looks like there are several collecting stations on Adams, so I was hoping someone could explain this a bit more for me.

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snow.cgi
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:01pm

what he said. I am also trying to figure this out. I gotta say:

Nate H. thinks that by June the W.S. is going to be in the lower 2's on the foot gauge (or something like that- not quoting him directly and his comment was off the cuff)
That's just his guess of course, however knowedgable and educated it may be.

I was talking to another boater who lives at Trout Lake who also expressed a shockingly negative outlook for the W.S. season. And I thought it was at least slightly more immune to El Nino than the rest of the Cascades. These guys don't seem to think so.

More data please...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
peteg
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote peteg Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:24pm
WS isn't immune from El Nino at all. That's something sold by the rafting companies. Look at flows for 2001 is my best guess for what the summer will be like. I think it was below 1' by August.

pete
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:26pm
There is no Mount Adams Station.  Here are the stations which are close:

Potato Hill: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=702&state=wa
Surprise Lake: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=804&state=wa

These web pages have current and historical data for the sites.  The most relevant graph is the "daily" "snow water equivalent".  Here it is for the Surprise Lake station:

As you can see - its not that bad.

You can also get basin wide snowpack reports here: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/snow_rpt.pl?state=washington

Also, a basin-wide map for the columbia basin: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/support/snow/snowpack_maps/columbia_river/wy2010/cusnow1003.gif

Good data here, too: http:///www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snotel-wereports.html

So, bottom line.  Mount adams has an average snowpack.  Better off than the rest of the state (other than north cascades and the OP).
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:29pm
Ok I don't know why the graph I posted isn't shown.  James took away my edit capabilities, as he is the site nazi, and punishes people who don't fall into line.

That said, here goes again:

RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:30pm
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/ploticus/plot.pl?cgi=1&-debug&-png&TITLE=SURPRISE%20LAKES&FILE=/ftp/data/cache/wygraph-multi/21c13s.out&WATERYEAR=2010&wy.line.multi.plt
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:47pm
Your link doesn't work either 
Life is short, paddle hard!
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:14pm
Thanks for the insight Leif. I have a feeling that things aren't going to be as bad as everyone wants to make it, but I'm hoping that I can find data that will speak for its self.
978-273-7723
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:17pm
Note on the basin wide map (link in the first post), the white salmon area shows green, meaning 90-109%.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:41pm
There's a lot less snow on Hwy 2 than I've seen in many years, and I've never seen the Deception Falls parking area snow free.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:19pm
yeah, I remember when you posted that gargantuan map of snowpack-while it seemed to take forever to load, it did reveal the Mt. Adams area and it didn't look all that bad-- on par with the higher, innermost core of the OP and the N.W, Cascades as you said.

Thanks for the links, Leif.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:08pm
Here is the site I generally use. ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/wa.txt
 I'm not sure if this is one of Leafs links or not, however, it has proved to be accurate and simple for me over the years.
For example Brett - Stevens Pass is at 64% (snow water equivalent) whereas the entire basin feeding the Wenatchee is at 78%. And you can see, Stevens is a pretty small contributor to the Wenatchee's water supply.
And for the WS. The potato hill (106%) and suprise lakes (94%) are doing well above the lower columbia basin (79%).
We have a lot of high elevation snow. The snow below 4000' (stevens pass) has melted a lot due to the warm weather while the upper level snow has been effected less.
Another place people often get confused (or the media uses misleading info) is the difference between snow depth (see http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sew/get.php?wfo=sew&pil=CLI&sid=SNO ) and snow water equivalent. Often times it will rain at a certain elevation and compact/consolidate the snow. The overall depth of the snow is significantly less, however it is holding more water. What happens next is the most important thing for the snow pack. If the rain is followed by warm temperature and more rain is all gets flushed down the rivers. If it gets cold afterwards (like this year after October ended) the rain actually helps increase the snow water equivalent (sponge effect). We have not had any real flood events since Oct/early Nov. Most of the snow that has come since is still up there. Hence we have not has good levels for a while.
Another thing to note. If you look at the numbers on the far right it shows the avg precipitation. For the most part, the numbers are pretty similar (snow pack vs precip).
The site gets updated every day. It will be neat to see where it is at say next Monday......( http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=sew&wwa=winter%20storm%20watch )Winter Storm watch in effect with another 1-2 feet of snow (Fri-Sat) on top of the 2-3 feet we got Sun-Tue. I bet the Wenatchee snow pack is at 85% by next weekend.

RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:17pm
The links I gave are for snow water data, but are easier to cosume than the ftp site.

Darren, how about a good faith effort to spell my name right. Not like it isn't on this page several times.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:19pm
Thanks WA. Your explanation of the snow water equivalent cleared up a lot of things for me.
978-273-7723
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:25pm
Oh, that wasn't an accident Leif. I wanted to see not only if you'd notice, but how quick you'd reply.  9 minutes, not bad.
With all due respect, I will do my best to spell it correctly in the future. Sorry.

RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:59pm
Thanks, Darren.

I should point out that California got all the snow this year. Who wants to road trip down there this spring?
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 2:29pm

Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 2:31pm
Wierd ... http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=702&state=wa

Originally posted by leifkirchoff

Ok I don't know why the graph I posted isn't shown.  James took away my edit capabilities, as he is the site nazi, and punishes people who don't fall into line.

I was going to add that 2005 looked much worse than any recent year.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 7:24pm
funny stuff hidden in here.... we laughed good.  thanks for those laughs!
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 7:26pm
I must not have gotten it.
978-273-7723
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version