Professor Paddle: Pool sessions vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
UPS - Tacoma Pool
 Professor Paddle : The Class Room : Pool Sessions : UPS - Tacoma Pool
Message Icon Topic: Pool sessions Post Reply Post New Topic
paulgf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote paulgf Replybullet Topic: Pool sessions
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:18am
Hi,
I am new to WW kayaking and looking for the cheapest way to get started. Was adviced to take pool sessions ( even before taking any classes).
I checked Eastside Pool schedule and they have only 1 session left ( 4/3/10). Can't find any info on UPS pool sessions. Any help ( links, dates...), please ?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:28am
I just bumped up the post with all of the info for our pool sessions this semester!  UPS pool sessions are probably the best way to learn WW kayaking, not to mention we have the best value!
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
paulgf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote paulgf Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:20pm

I see the dates, and I know the time ( 8-10pm), but the info like  the address...or any other details I need to know...I couldn't find any info on UPS site ( or here). Sorry for being a retard :) Would really appreciate the help. Heard a lot about the willingness of WW kayakers to take a newbie under their wings

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 10:02pm
Paul,

The pool session is on the main UPS campus in Tacoma, WA. This link will show the main campus. The building at the end of the football / track field is the pool.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tacoma,+wa&sll=47.249857,-122.304268&sspn=0.001449,0.001819&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Tacoma,+Pierce,+Washington&ll=47.259733,-122.481122&spn=0.005767,0.007274&t=h&z=17

U of Puget Sound
1500 N. Warner St.
Tacoma, Wa 98416

irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:54pm
The Washington Kayak Club runs a lot of pool sessions and you can attend as a non-member, I think it's $10 a pop.  There's one in Seattle Wednesday night, here's the calendar:

Click on the event to get the details, every other Sunday morning there's one in Shoreline too.

I highly recommend a class that will teach you a roll and get you started on some water, www.nwoc.com has a good class called Whitewater Fever, I just wrote a blog post on classes that get you started (the WKC class is already half way through it turns out):

Good luck, if you have any specific questions feel free to do the 'Contact' thing through my blog - I'm not an expert but I can usually come up with something semi-useful. :)

Irene

It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 11:08pm
By the way, the WKC is a great way to get started with organized, led-by-a-competent-person Class II and II+ runs, Professor Paddle is great but most of the runs posted on there are III+ to V, the WKC runs are where I got started and it's only like $35 a year or something like that.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 11:08pm
The WKC sessions are actually 18 bucks for non-members. Paul watch for Leif or other generous folks that are offering carpool options down to the UPS pool session. It is the only way to go. Get a few seshs under the belt then decide if you want to start shelling out the dough for the next steps. Not familiar with NWOC's classes but I do enjoy the store. That and they are on the water so you can always jump in a sea kayak and paddle around at lunch. 
paulgf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote paulgf Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 10:49pm
Made it to the pool for the first time ! It was great ! Coming back this Thursday...
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 11:13pm
second the NWOC whitewater fever.  That is the class I took six years ago.  Great job and great instructors.
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
paulgf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote paulgf Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 11:18pm
I was thinking about it, but right now can't really afford  $ 235. So , planning to work on my roll, and then ,hopefully,  "get under somebody's  wing "  to go kayaking   I am a quick learner. Any takers ? ( can barter for climbing, mountain boarding, surfing, SUPing... ) Here is my link - http://www.adventures-wa.com/
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version