Professor Paddle: Whats the scoop. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Whats the scoop. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Whats the scoop.
    Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 9:27am
So does anyone know what the scoop is with SRK?

I was on the website reading the FAQ page and it is pretty funny.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:01pm
Q: How Do I Know if You're Open?
A: Follow our Twitter updates

Q: Can You Help Me Plan My Adventure Vacation to Seattle?
A: Absolutely. Custom Adventures are our specialty. Just email us to get started.

Q: I Emailed You a Few Days Ago But You Didn't Answer. Should I Send Another Email?
A: No, our inbox gets pretty backed up. We'll see your first email and send you an answer as fast as possible.

Or maybe just send a twat on twitter

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:14pm
I wrote them off after I sent them three e-mails last spring saying I had money in pocket and was ready to buy a boat and never received a response, and then I heard that they lost their Jackson dealer status for not paying the bills. I was sorry to see Swiftwater Sports get tied up with them.

I definately think they are on the way out if they are still around at all.

Kyle
I smell bacon
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:50pm
I thought they Flatlined a long time ago. Shreks' post was funny as hell, maybe even too polite, understating the nature of SRK's nonresponsiveness. When I saw this thread I thought I'd leave well enough alone- I just ranted to James via PM about the disatisfaction I experienced with them.

Too bad. This town needs two whitewater shops + NWOC. Oh well, I'm really happy to support Charles to the extent I can. Charles is awesome!

Never was a fan of the whole Shoreline Raft and Kayak concept anyway once they moved.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 2:29pm
Even when they were open they never answered their phone.

Goodbye SRK...

Nomad
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:09pm
I can only say good things about the place. They generously hosted our Texas Holdem tournies for the WSI. I also really loved the videos and guest speakers they hosted. The one Sprague did about the Hayes adventure from years ago was my favorite.....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by dave

Even when they were open they never answered their phone.

Goodbye SRK...

You've got a pretty F'ed up sense of humor Dave 
Life is short, paddle hard!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 6:15pm
It seemed funny at the time...
Nomad
explwhore
Paddler
Paddler

Quote explwhore Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:45am
Just as a reminder to all who might be looking this post over, if as a community we don't try to support Charles and his shop we might not have the luxury of last minute shopping for trips. I am not the best example cause of my connection with C and K, getting deals or freebies sometimes. But when I lived in CO I saw about 5 stores go out of business in a 2 year period due to online orders that you are talking about Slickhorn. I know Charles doesn't carry everything you might need but please try to help give him the biz you can. He has always been helpful when I was looking for something. Earplugs, guidebooks, videos, booties, and what not. Just an opinion.

Nick
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:11am
Nick has a great point. Aquasports is a great shop (with a TON of gear) and has what I need when I go in. Charles knows the equipment and has always steered me in the right direction. Buy local and support your community.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:58am
Well said brett.

Buy local or Bye Local
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:16am
wait a sec...
when you pay almost 10% in sales tax and full price for items that can be shipped for free and 'no sales tax' and factor in discounts- sorry but there is no way that I am going to spend more to save someone's local business (as much as I love to see that business going).  
CKS rocks!  They got all the goods- often with sales, no tax, and free shipping available.  Personally, I don't like having to barter at the sales counter for a deal.  Its not in my nature.  So if the business goes down because they just can't compete, or there isn't enough demand, well I guess that's elementary economics. 
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:09am
While I can't argue with the fact that you will save a few bucks shopping on-line, I must point out that this view doesn't give proper credit to the brick-and-mortar businesses for the service they provide.

On-line shops are great if I know exactly what I need, like when I'm replacing a worn-out item I already own; however, they fall short when I'm looking for something new that requires a good fit - like shoes or gloves, or even a drytop.

For example, how do I know that the new whiz-bang NRS creek shoes will fit my foot comfortably and then allow me to sit in my boat?  If I shop on-line, I've got to hope for the best using a sizing chart, and then rely on their returns policy if I've got a funny shaped foot, and then do the whole back and forth shipping until I get the item that works.  Not only is it a hassle, it can take forever if you've got to deal with shipping more than once.

On the other hand, at the local shop, I can try on shoes in a variety of sizes then sit in a boat and be 100% certain that I'm paying for exactly what I need.  And if there's a problem down the road, I can walk back in and talk to a human being face-to-face as opposed to some hellish automated phone system or a customer support rep named Daisy in Bangladesh.

I've had some good experiences on-line, and I've also been completely ripped off.  On the other hand, the local shops (especially Charles) have always provided excellent service and support.  For that, they've more than earned the few extra bucks above the on-line price.

It's a free country and everyone should shop where they want, but let's try to make smart choices.  Sometimes on-line makes sense, sometimes local is the way to go.  It's too simplistic to say that on-line is cheaper, so let's always buy on-line.

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:44pm

I buy local. If I can't touch it, I don't want to buy it. If you're one of those dudes that checks gear out at the store then buys online, you would be screwed if there wasn't a store.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:32pm
This has moved off topic quite a bit, so let me go even further...

Did anyone know that our state has financial issues? I'm not sure if it is common knowledge but businesses are flying out of our state like crazy. We sport a tax rate that is in the highest ranks of the nation and various taxes that make doing business here pretty difficult. Now don't get me wrong, I understand what taxes are for, we need unemployment and financial aid for all the hard working people that hardly work, but things like House Bill 3176 are crazy. A transportation tax increase of over 25%??? Who thinks of this stuff.

What is the cause? Is it because everyone wants to avoid paying taxes like Mike suggests? Perhaps that is a stretch. Is it because there are a ridiculous number of people leaching off un-employment and not generating any taxable income while consuming the services offered like the viaduct eats time and money?

I know buying online is not causing all of this, but in the end no one thing is. If you look at an item online and the price is the same as in your local store, and you go buy it online "just so you don't pay taxes on it", go move to another state that is willing to carry you as a burden because Washington can't take much more dead weight.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:24pm
I am a business man that sells equipment and if I stuck with the list prices on my equipment, I would not sell a single thing. If I ran a kayak store I would check the online prices and compete with those online prices. I cant get away with selling my goods at list, so why should our local shops and businesses?

I don't blame people for buying online, that is what our country is all about anyway, competition, and if you don't want to compete you will soon sink. (do I need to post up the video again?)

I challenge all our kayak shops and all other businesses to compete with online prices if they want the business to stay local.

Remember, 1% of a sale is better than 0% of no sale!

Let me put this another way, if you go out of business because people are buying online, it is your fault for not being innovative, educated, competitive, resourceful, and technologically savvy.

Edited by dave - 20 Feb 2010 at 7:28pm
Nomad
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:16pm
SRK did offer a 10% discount to AW members which I utilized several times.  It took care of the sales tax at least. 

James, I wouldn't be so quick to rail on unemployment insurance.  It's averages to be about 1.7% and I believe it serves a good purpose.  Just because someone's unemployed doesn't mean they're lazy.  It's a little more complicated than that as I'm sure you probably know.  It's not even a tax employees pay as employers are responsible to fund it.  (My wife has to pay her own so we should be the ones complaining!)  I'm glad it will be there for me one day if I need it.
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 2:33pm
I think James has indirectly benefited from ESD-UI payments.

That said, I wonder why Portland supports 3 shops (that I know of), the Vancouver metro 4, but Seattle can only support one.

Edited by leifkirchoff - 21 Feb 2010 at 2:34pm
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 5:53pm
It must be warmer in Portland and more people Kayak? Or could it be our DAM SALES TAX!!!! Now they are talking about raising it another 1%!!!! How stupid can you get? That is always the cure for any problem, just raise taxes, it will solve everything...
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 9:04pm
Pow,  I was not railing on un-employment. I know a lot of people that need it and use it validly. I was railing on leaching off government services along with other government managed processes. Leaching / Abusing was the key that I think you might have missed.

And Leif, your comment although applicable does not mirror my concern for a much more wide spread pattern of abuse. I do appreciate your response although many might be lead to believe I am somehow responsible for now a hypocritical action against the state and her people.
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:38am
"we need unemployment and financial aid for all the hard working people that hardly work"

That is an offensive statement, it sounds as if you are railing on people on unemployment.   Which is a tax paid by employers.

I'm currently unemployed due to economic circustances beyond my control.  This is the first time I have drawn unemployment in 18 years of being an ironworker.  Thats 18 years of extremely physical labor, 50+ hours a week several hundred feet in the air over your narrow minded head.

Now that I'm in full rant mode heres a couple more things to think about.  WA state does not have an income tax, the sales tax is on what you decide to purchase. 

And if you are going to consider your financial bottom line in context with a hobby like kayaking, maybe you should just quit paddling altogether.  So buy from your local shop, whenever you can.  Enjoy shopping in a specialty retailer that provides a unique service, even if your cheap ass has to cough up a few extra bucks now and again.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 10:06am
I try to give my money to friends and business people I respect when I buy things. I see it as kind-of a gift. I could spend it anywhere. Just offering another viewpoint andtryin to lighten it up a little in here.   
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by James

Pow,  I was not railing on un-employment. I know a lot of people that need it and use it validly. I was railing on leaching off government services along with other government managed processes. Leaching / Abusing was the key that I think you might have missed.

Didn't miss it, just don't think there are a "ridiculous" number of people on unemployment abusing the system. 

I thought unemployment benefits were only extended to people who have worked and lost their job through no fault of their own.  Traditionally in WA State, citizens have been only offered the benefit for 6 months (with a temporary extension due to the recession).  How do you leach and abuse by receiving a fraction of your normal salary for such a short time period? 

Furthermore, WA doesn't have state income tax so were not losing money there.  Their unemployment checks are still paying sales tax, property taxes, etc. so there is still a contribution to society.

Ya, there are some perpetually poor and lazy people who milk it for as long as they can get it, but there are always a small amount that abuse any system, no matter how perfect it is.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 1:08pm
I can personally point you to people leeching off the unemployment system and you can draw for a lot longer than 6 months.

That said, I'm sure nobody thats drawing now and upset by James statements is one of those people, so its too bad people are taking this personally.

My family soon will only my income now too because a whole company has just abandoned ship here in Washington so I also assure you that James is correct again.

We also have one of the highest minimum wages in the country, significantly higher than California, where the company is now moving to.  Washington state is getting downright hostile to smaller employers, it may suit us well to support our local vendors through it.  Ask a business owner about it.

We'll likely be getting unemployment now too...
H2O please
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 1:11pm
Yeah, prolly good not to trash on folks-- too much. But this is a valid discussion with lots of facets of opinion, each coming from reasoned angles. Too many comments I'd like to quote, so I'll stress to anyone coming in late like me (I was paddling all weekend )---read this thread in detail if you haven't.

I will trash on Mike's simplistic view and nearsightedness, along with those in his camp. Small paddle shops can only to a very limited degree adapt and compete with the online business models. It's apples and oranges. I will quote this because I think it's is simplistic and lame:

Originally posted by dave

I don't blame people for buying online, that is what our country is all about anyway, competition, and if you don't want to compete you will soon sink.

Sorry Dave, I know I rip on you too much and I don't mean to here simply because you are Dave. I do see some of your other points but I think that statement above is niaeve. Is that what we're all about? A race to the bottom? Mediocrity? I value having a quality local shop like the one Charles runs. At some point you have to honestly assess what quality is and how much you are qwilling to pay to support it. From what I can see Americans don't value Quality very much, and that's why OUR SHIP IS SINKING, bro.

I agree with Weide and Supastar- I need to see and touch the gear I'm about to buy, because with this whole "global" MACRO business model THAT RULES OUR LIVES, it's the only way I can guarantee I'm going to purchase quality gear. So much paddling gear now a days is CRAP. Once Mom and Pop (paddling related) industries who need to follow the growth imperitive, end up having their clothing made somewhere where labor is cheap, and I've talked to a few of them personally and they ain't exactly raking it in. I think we all lose.

It's a small pool for a retailer to draw from here, which is dissappointing. The Seattle Kayaking scene is lame and atrophied. But aside from that basic fact, once you buy the basic gear you need, you aren't enough of a return customer to support a local shop unless you are either way hardcore about boating (in which case you will wear out your gear twice as fast as most Seattle Fair Weather boaters) or of enough principle that you've decided what you value.

I also agree with Bret's short statement about supporting a good local thing, and James says it wall with "Buy local or Bye local"

I could go on and on but I think that conscious choice about what kind of world you want to live in trumps plain dollars and cents. Wallmart Dave and Amazon.Harms are way off on this one. This sport is uniquely small and has specific needs if it is to thrive. Considerations based soley on Macro economic models don't serve it well. I've got less monely than pretty much all of you - I'm willing to pay more to have the service around I need. If I can get it at Charles' shop or NWOC first, I will. If they don't stock it, then there's no problem getting it elsewhere.

And yes, Washington's tax structure is FUBAR. But, no one wants to do anything about it. Screw it. Let it all fall into the sun if we only want to bitch about it and sdon't want to change it.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version