Professor Paddle: Where to raft Class IV in July? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Where to raft Class IV in July? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote irenen Replybullet Topic: Where to raft Class IV in July?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:46am
I have a friend who wants to take a buddy rafting Class IV this July, probably on an organized trip.  Any ideas what runs would still be OK?  BC's a possibility, so is Oregon or Idaho probably.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:51am
The Chilliwack Canyon run is awesome for rafts.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:58am
Tumwater.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:00pm
I would say to check out the Sky, thats a great run and it has boulder drop. If you looking for a more vacation style adventure check out the Nahatlatch with REO rafting and make sure that your friend tells them PP sent them. REO is pretty rude to kayakers since they own a resort on the river at the scouting location for the gorge and they feel like they are owed something for even stepping foot on the property which is understandable since it is a business and in the same general sport. maybe if they know were passing business that way they will appreciate it...?

http://www.reorafting.com/

The stein would be a step up for sure, but this is another company that is awesome and really cool to kayakers !!!! We all love Kumsheen and the infinite hot tube.
http://www.kumsheen.com/
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:08pm
Thanks you guys, I will check these out.  James, I was thinking the Sky would be too low by then, but maybe I'm remembering what it was like in August.
matta
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote matta Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:18pm
Rogue - dam controlled and great.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by irened

Thanks you guys, I will check these out.  James, I was thinking the Sky would be too low by then, but maybe I'm remembering what it was like in August.

In an average snowpack year, the Sky is usually at good rafting levels in early July. In a big year it's often at good rafting levels all thru July. Unfortunately this year is looking low, so I would be looking to BC for a class 4 fix this year.

Chilliwack Canyon or Nahatlatch are both awesome, but still keep a watch on those levels, as they are not getting good snow in the Great White north this winter. Still, even in a kinda crappy snowpack year, those 2 rivers should have some water in early July..

If not... for something different, you can go on one of those motorized J-rig raft trips though hells gate on the Fraser! I've always wanted to do that.

Other than that most of the W. Washington rivers that you can get a commercial (I'm assuming you're going with a guide co?) raft trip on in July are more class 3... N. Nooksack, Sauk, Skagit, White Salmon.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 3:46pm
Oh, and if the  Lochsa is still going, its defintely worth the drive... don't know how Idaho snowpack is shaping up.
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 4:03pm
The Similkameen Canyon above Princeton, BC, had some great class 4 last memorial day, but I don't think it holds on to its water very long.  We were there on the high side of the Bennett flows, and it was good.  Great stacks of waves and deep intimidating canyons.  Many miles long, but lots of flat water on the way out.

Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 5:50pm
The white Salmon River has some quality class III+ with one IV+ waterfall which got pretty exciting after the falls changed last spring.  There are four major companies down there with quality guides.  The largest are Wet Planet, Zoller Outdoor Odyssey (ZOO), and River Drifters, and a smaller mom and pop operation is All Adventures Rafting.  I work for All Adventures so I'm a little biased, but we run a good trip with quality guides that enjoy guiding and have fun on the water, we also typically have smaller trips making it a more personal experience.  I would recommend if you can help it to go during the week, because it can be a little more chaotic on Saturday and Sunday.

Hope to see you on the white salmon

Jed

1-800-74-FLOAT

(is it unethical of me to do this?)
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 6:35pm
I say it is not unethical. She asked, after all.
If  Washington is the state you want to raft in, you can't beat the White Salmon.

As Bret said, Tumwater would be awesome to raft, but no one runs it commercially. There may even be something written in law that expressly forbids it. Not sure. Insurance companies suck like that.

My bet would be on B.C. this year, if you're willing to drive for it. James had some good sugestions.

But seriously  the White Salmon is the best trip in washington or Oregon, IMO.
Hard sayin what the season will be like.

And you should book with All Adventures, and request JP (o.k.- you can request Jed if there's enough people to fill two rafts - or we can break some beer bottles on a rock and fight to the death to see who gets to take them-  not really gonna happen-- Jed's way too chill, and more charming than me anyway. They'll probably just get in Jed's boat  -- but then maybe I'll get to safety boat if it's a one boat trip )

I'm just playin around- as of right now I'm not 100% sure if I'll guide again this summer or not. Gotta see how my other business opportunities play out...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 6:38pm
All good suggestions!

Of them all I would recommend the Nahatlach the most. The drive isn't too bad, just make sure you have proper documents.

Camping at the Nahatlach is so nice. The river IS class IV.

Putting in on a lake is quite cool.

I also recommend EVERYONE take a trip on a J-rig on the Fraser. I would love to put together a PP trip. Shane from Chinook does a "friends and family" trip every year. Its usually the last weekend in Sep or the 1st in October. I have gone twice...
You will never be on such huge water in your life. imagine a J-rig feeling SMALL!

The trip starts at the Thompson confluence and you can load whatever you want on the rigs for the night out. The first day is pretty mellow with gear piled up all over. Its party time. The overnight spot is right at the Nahatlach confluence. Shane puts out a helluva spread. Hiking from here is fun and you can check out the last Class V on the Nahatlach. We usually stop for lunch at a nice spot too.

After packing up in the morning the rigs stop at Boston Bar to meet Darwin, owner of Fraser Expeditions. Here all the gear is removed for the whitewater action. The second day is full on. You will get soaked. you straddle the second tube in and hang onto some chains and yahoo all the way. Its heavy metal rafting!!!!! There are up to 20 people on a boat I think. its huge! The engine sound is fun like dirt biking.

At Sailors Bar there is a huge rock on river right that is about half a city block big. Downstream and to the left is a series of HUGE waves that get bigger on the river left side. After running the huge rapids on the right you eddy out and power back upstream in the eddy created by the huge rock. When the J-rig pulls out of that eddy toward the huge waves for another go, the boat feels about as big as a kayak pulling out of an eddy in something thats 20000 cfs. The bow is sunk and peeling out you are stoked to see these massive waves again. Drenching is probably the best word for them. They stand up the J-rig vertically. Shane is keen to taking numerous laps there. Hells Gate is incredibly impressive....

If anyone wants to go this year let me know. It would be awesome to get a good crew who will appreciate the hugeness and the good times. I'm not sure about the price but if we get enough folks we should be around $150-175. This includes food which is always fantastic.   Shane would be stoked to have a big crew as I think the last few years have been lean....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 6:57pm

Shane is THE MAN

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:10am

Great recommendations everyone, thank you!  I had no idea about the Fraser River stuff, sounds amazing.

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 9:07am

I would totally be down for the Fraser trip, Horner!

Originally posted by franzhorner

All good suggestions!

Of them all I would recommend the Nahatlach the most. The drive isn't too bad, just make sure you have proper documents.

Camping at the Nahatlach is so nice. The river IS class IV.

Putting in on a lake is quite cool.

I also recommend EVERYONE take a trip on a J-rig on the Fraser. I would love to put together a PP trip. Shane from Chinook does a "friends and family" trip every year. Its usually the last weekend in Sep or the 1st in October. I have gone twice...
You will never be on such huge water in your life. imagine a J-rig feeling SMALL!

The trip starts at the Thompson confluence and you can load whatever you want on the rigs for the night out. The first day is pretty mellow with gear piled up all over. Its party time. The overnight spot is right at the Nahatlach confluence. Shane puts out a helluva spread. Hiking from here is fun and you can check out the last Class V on the Nahatlach. We usually stop for lunch at a nice spot too.

After packing up in the morning the rigs stop at Boston Bar to meet Darwin, owner of Fraser Expeditions. Here all the gear is removed for the whitewater action. The second day is full on. You will get soaked. you straddle the second tube in and hang onto some chains and yahoo all the way. Its heavy metal rafting!!!!! There are up to 20 people on a boat I think. its huge! The engine sound is fun like dirt biking.

At Sailors Bar there is a huge rock on river right that is about half a city block big. Downstream and to the left is a series of HUGE waves that get bigger on the river left side. After running the huge rapids on the right you eddy out and power back upstream in the eddy created by the huge rock. When the J-rig pulls out of that eddy toward the huge waves for another go, the boat feels about as big as a kayak pulling out of an eddy in something thats 20000 cfs. The bow is sunk and peeling out you are stoked to see these massive waves again. Drenching is probably the best word for them. They stand up the J-rig vertically. Shane is keen to taking numerous laps there. Hells Gate is incredibly impressive....

If anyone wants to go this year let me know. It would be awesome to get a good crew who will appreciate the hugeness and the good times. I'm not sure about the price but if we get enough folks we should be around $150-175. This includes food which is always fantastic.   Shane would be stoked to have a big crew as I think the last few years have been lean....
1150lbsofaire
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote 1150lbsofaire Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 10:08am
"Shane is the man" thats a under statement "Shane Turnbull is a legend" his gudes are also lifers which i think really makes a trip

All Adventures is the only real way to go down the white salmon and you can ask for another legend Val Shaull or that up and coming raft star hans hoomans
lookin for a bow cap for a storm
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 10:21am
looks fun... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFN1tRHa9w&feature=related
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 3:21pm
Yup.
That Hans Hoomans guy is guaranteed to put on a good trip!!! Competant, experienced, and affable. Plus he also rafts more of the Sh*T during his off hours than any other raft guide I know (since Val has passed the torch as far as super hard core class V rafting goes).

There aren't many raft guides out there who will carry n drag a raft through the dense PNW forest for the sake of exploration-and love it

My helmet is off to Hans!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
1150lbsofaire
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote 1150lbsofaire Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 11:01am
with out guys like you jp i would have never been able to do half of it so my hate goes off to you and all the other PPrs that have been there with a bag, paddled with me or lead me down the sh?t, and of course all you camras
lookin for a bow cap for a storm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by 1150lbsofaire

my hate goes off to you and all the other PPrs

nice Freudian slip there, Hans!!

I know how to take a hint

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
DrSpeed
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote DrSpeed Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

IV on the Rogue?  Where ???  lol

Seriously though, the OP doesn't mention if looking for day or multiday type trips.  If day trips, The Skykomish is the best bet out of Seattle.  The Maupin run on the Des Chutes is fun III also. 

The rogue is great but is mostly flat water or up to III, except for one drop.  The MF Salmon or Main Salmon will offer more whitewater excitement. 

I'm not sure what outfitters do in ID, but various IV runs on the Payettes might be available commercially.  In my opinion, the SF Payette Canyon run is one of the best summer time IV whitewater runs in the NW. 

-b

Thanks Irene for directing me here. She was asking the question for me.

I've not a seasoned paddler, but I am a seasoned thrill seeker.  (I snowboard and run and bike and all that fun stuff, so my friends and I are in decent shape.)

So, I have a buddy getting hitched in November, and he wants to go on a multi-day trip for his bachelor's. 

We're open to the PNW, Colorado, whatever.  We'll be coming from all over the place (Houston, San Francisco, Seattle, Philly...), so it's a plane ride no matter what. 

So, a planned trip where they provide the gear (we can provide bags, tents, etc), is what we're looking to do.

We need to find a decent river in the dead middle of summer that more current flow than a soda fountain. 

That's all.  
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 4:27pm
If that's your criteria-- sounds like you'll need to look towards BC for sure. Check into some of James' suggestions.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 5:00pm
Although kayaking does require more experience to dive into higher class rivers, rafting should be approached with care depending on where your planning.

That being said, considering the frequency of their trip and the nature of the get together I would seal it up and say that your best option is a Nahatlatch & Stien Combo. First run the nahatlatch which will wet your whistle to class IV and then if your feeling rowdy hit the stien .. The same companies do both rivers that I mentioned above and I think they have package deals. You can opt to just raft with them or do a big weekend package deal. If It were me I would have everyone fly into seattle then either rent a big van or drive up there together. Camp on the Lake on your own because the Vibe is waaaayyy better than at REO. Then join REO on the rafting trips. When your done with the Stein if you go that route (which is class IV+ to V) you can take a nice float on the thompson with Kumsheen then hit the hot tub and resort ammenities they have. Frisbee golf etc... That would be a full packed 3 days of rad if you asked me.

Camp Friday night on the Lake
Sat hit the Nahatlatch Upper & Lower - Camp again at the lake.
Sun hit the Stein - Camp at Kumsheen Resort on Sunday night (good food & vibe)
Monday hit the Thompson or Fraser and check out Hells Gate.

If you did all that you would basically be tapping that Valley pretty good! and it is a great place to check out. The only issue might be the Nov. Time frame. I would try for Oct because the stein will run out of water, but you never know.

~J
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 5:21pm
Easy answer: Go do a multiday on the Tuolumne River.
http://americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/326/
Great river close to Yosemite. If you are feeling frisky you can even do the Cherry Creek section...the hardest commercially rafted stretch in the US (requires rafting experience).
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 9:54pm
I made a new youtube button to do the work for ya. yer killin me Broham...
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version