Professor Paddle: Kayakers chase down teen shooters vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Kayakers chase down teen shooters Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Online Status: Offline
  Quote slickhorn Replybullet Topic: Kayakers chase down teen shooters
    Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:57am
from http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11840470

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A pair of Spokane Valley teens was arrested Sunday afternoon after they used a pellet gun to shoot a 50-year-old man kayaking on the Spokane River.
Deputies were called to 16800 E. Indiana about 3:45 p.m. Sunday after the two 17-year-old suspects were caught and held by the two kayakers and a neighbor in the area.
The victim told a deputy that he and the other man had been on the river at the Flora Rapids when the he was hit in the back with a pellet, though he was not injured. When the two began paddling to shore, the two teen boys took off running.

The neighbor said he had watched the two boys shooting at the kayakers from his kitchen window. When the kayakers began chasing the boys, he went up to the end of Flora Road to head them off.
An investigation revealed the teens had fired four or five pellets at the kayakers before hitting the one man. Both teens were arrested for Aiming/Discharging a Deadly Weapon and Fourth-Degree Assault. 
The teens were released to their parents.
- Spokane Valley Police
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:50pm
The PFD probably helped soften the blow.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 5:50pm
See, you guys wonder why I sometimes have my .45 in my boat. Now you know why.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 5:55pm
So, these kayakers could not be content with just chasing the kids off? They actually had to spend the time to get these kids prosecuted and destroy their lives for just some stupid sh*t that kids sometimes do? In the old days we would just chase em down and give em a stern talking too or just chase em away. I can see prosecution if they keep doing it and others report it or someone got hurt, but for just one stupid time, they should have been given a break...

I feel sorry for the kids, this  cold really mess up their futures...
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 5:56pm
Please don't shoot me Lief, I don't want to die that way...
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 6:11pm
The .45 is useless against kids with a pellet gun. Whilst you are waving a gun around racking up felonies, I would have called the parents and then requested permission to issue an ass whippin.

And to Dave: it will not mess up their futures trust me. Under 18 is a beautiful thing

Edited by James - 20 Jan 2010 at 6:13pm
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 6:29pm
I think a sound ass kicking would have sufficed.  There is nothing more humiliating than getting your ass beat when you deserve it.  I'm reminded of JP's story of finding that guy breaking into his roomate's car.

Those kids were idiots.  How could they not out run those boaters?!!  Also, shooting people who aren't expecting it is unsporting.  We had plenty of young kids up for BB gun wars in the woods.  We would also not pump to full.  I used to wear a puffy down vest and body shots were all we were after....

Regarding Lief...I am all for more responsible gun owners carrying.  Having seen someone get shot and killed while on the river I am hesitant to have every Tom Dick and Harry packing heat but, I trust that people like Lief would only use it if there was someone doing something REALLY wrong.  I would also believe that Lief keeps solid tabs on his weapons and the chances of an accidental shooting are very very low......
MORE RAIN PLEASE
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by dave

So, these kayakers could not be content with just chasing the kids off? They actually had to spend the time to get these kids prosecuted and destroy their lives for just some stupid sh*t that kids sometimes do? In the old days we would just chase em down and give em a stern talking too or just chase em away. I can see prosecution if they keep doing it and others report it or someone got hurt, but for just one stupid time, they should have been given a break...I feel sorry for the kids, this  cold really mess up their futures...

WTF? I'm as anti-authority as anyone, but in no way ever is shooting anyone with anything okay. I might lean towards James' method of involve the parents and not rush to charges, but no way they get off with a talking to.

boating with a .45?   
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 6:55pm
I only bring a weapon on wilderness trips, when there is a concern of animals in the camp.  I like to mention it in contexts like this because it makes James nervous.  Making James nervous is kind of a hobby of mine...  
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by James

The .45 is useless against kids with a pellet gun. Whilst you are waving a gun around racking up felonies, I would have called the parents and then requested permission to issue an ass whippin.

And to Dave: it will not mess up their futures trust me. Under 18 is a beautiful thing

Any offense you commit now as a minor will stay on your permanent record forever. There is no sealing of records any more. The government changed the law a few years ago and now you are screwed for life. While assault 4 is only a misdemeanor, it is still considered a violent offense and will keep them from many things in life they may want to do in the future.

There are no breaks anymore once you involve the law...
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 7:16pm
Ok phew, a few years ago.. I'm good then. I was promised ya know!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 8:55pm
Ya, you would be totally screwed these days. The old days of giving a minor a break are gone and the new day of MAXIMUM PUNISHMENT are here to stay...until we have a revolution or something worse...remember the Romans and what happened to them...

The LAW knows no mercy any more, not with crime being what it is these days.
Nomad
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 6:48am
Dave, kids shooting at unsuspecting people isn't funny or okay. What if the guy got shot in the face, or the back of the head and he drowned? I would've called the fuzz, too.
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 6:54am
Sounds to me like we have a young Dick Cheney on our hands.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 8:08am
you might be misremembering your history.  It was Cheney who shot unsuspecting people in the face with a gun and faced no charges or other consequences.
matta
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote matta Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 8:30am

"Any offense you commit now as a minor will stay on your permanent record forever. There is no sealing of records any more. The government changed the law a few years ago and now you are screwed for life. While assault 4 is only a misdemeanor, it is still considered a violent offense and will keep them from many things in life they may want to do in the future.

There are no breaks anymore once you involve the law..."

Actually, there are a bunch of ways to allow the kids to take responsibility for their actions, face some sort of punishment/rehab (community service, gun classes, jail - although jail would be unlikely for this case with a kid without significant criminal history in king county) and still not be affected down the road if they comply with what they are supposed to do.

Juvenile courts allow for "diversions" of juvenile misdemeanors. This requires a juvenile go to a community diversion committee, do some sort of punishment/rehab (probably a gun safety  class and community service) and the case is never filed, therefore there is no conviction. RCW 13.04.080

Even if a child fails to comply with diversion or is never sent to the diversion committee because the prosecutor deems the child's history to be to significant or the crime to be to serious, the prosecutor may negotiate to a different charge, one that carries less stigma than assault. (I have no idea if there's a statute, but I'm a prosecutor and I do it all the time).

Even if a child pleads guilty to Assault 4 (or another charge), the prosecutor has the ability to recommend a deferred sentence, which results in the case being dismissed if the child satisfies the conditions of sentence. First time offenders commonly get deferred recommendations. As your criminal history piles up, you are less likely to get that consideration. (RCW 3.66.067.)

Even if the prosecutor elects not to recommend the deferred sentence, the court can impose it over the objection of the prosecutor (same statute as above, same discretionary considerations). 

Even if a deferred sentence is not imposed and there is no possibility for a later dismissal of the charges, the child may ask the court to seal the conviction record by WSP (When you do a criminal history check, WSP provides the response, therefore an employer requesting such records would not be made aware of it). State v. Noel, 101 Wn.App. 623, 5 P.3d 747, (2000).

Even if you were convicted of a felony (not the case here), a juvenile or adult may seek vacation of the records under RCWA 9.94A.640. Vacation of the record also prevent WSP from reporting the conviction. The assertion that Assault 4 is considered a "violent offense" is 1/2 true. Yes most people consider it violent b/c you assaulted someone, but for this purpose and pretty much all others in the criminal justice system, a violent offense is defined, is limited to felonies and Assault 4 doesn't qualify. RCWA 9.94A.030

It is true that none of these possibilities provides for sealing of the court file itself, but the court file is not what is searched when one asks the State of Washington for a crim history check, its the WSP file (There is no easy way to check all of the court files in this state, they are kept individually by county). Sealing of a court file has constitutional considerations and requires "compelling circumstances" which are unlikely to be found in this case, even assuming the kids stays on the straight and narrow for an extended period of time. Anyone who actually went to the trouble of doing a county by county search and found the file, however, would also see the nature of the offense, the resolution and whether the child complied with the requirements of any sentence. I suppose someone could decide to not hire someone for a job b/c of something like this, but it would be an odd decision if this was the only black mark on the person.

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by dave

Originally posted by James

Any offense you commit now as a minor will stay on your permanent record forever. There is no sealing of records any more. The government changed the law a few years ago and now you are screwed for life. While assault 4 is only a misdemeanor, it is still considered a violent offense and will keep them from many things in life they may want to do in the future.

There are no breaks anymore once you involve the law...

Good! fu*k 'em. Serves them right. Anyone shoots at me or any other boater whether it be a pellet gun or a rifle, should be dealt with by the law. Not only to punish them but to deter other knuckleheads from trying something similar. I can't believe there's even any question to this on this forum.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:34pm
yeah- at some point, while I too, abhor the excessive "Long Arm of the Law" I realize that's the reson we have laws to begin with. The way I was raised, I always have considered assaulting people like this absolutely unthinkable!
-- err, uhh-wait- I confess there was that time inOhiopyle when my friends and I had an extremely efficient waterballon launcher and assaulted some unsuspecting canoeists-never mind.

Stay tuned for a full account of the whole event (it's among some of the best of my "River Lies!")
Suffice to say the victom got his own vindication, and we had to face our wrong doing, albiet in a fairly inconsequential way. I felt bad about it later and regretted my actions.

Guns, are different though, even if only sybolicly.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by leifkirchoff

See, you guys wonder why I sometimes have my .45 in my boat. Now you know why.

God help us...

So you're packing heat on the river now are ya? Or maybe you're just talking more sh*t like you always do?

Either way translates to more solid reasoning not to paddle with you.

But (less) seriously-
This new knowledge suggests to me that you should really learn how to boof Leif. I can just imagine you running the N. Frk of the Sauk or some similarly steep, mank infested boulder garden of a creek, flying off of a drop all outta control the way you do, pencilling in with a dranmatic piton, and having your loaded gun go off in your boat. Perhaps ruining the trip for everyone you are with who didn't even know you were packing a gun-as they have to evacuate you out of some canyon now.

Dude I am going to laugh my ass off someday when I read Charlie Walbridge's report!!

I know, It wouldn't really go off like that, but It's a humorous fantasy, you gotta admit!
And the truth is I wouldn't wish any sort of gun related mishap upon you. Be safe with that thing, Leif, OK? You worry me, kid.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 3:24pm
Leif, please don't bring a GUN when you paddle with me. Work on making the guns you already have work for you.
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 4:07pm
That's great Leif. You carry a gun to make other people nervous? Seems like a perfectly valid reason to me, and just one more reason for people to avoid you.

That's pretty f-in core!
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." ~H.S. Thompson
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 4:12pm
No, I talk about guns to make James nervous. I thought I made that clear when I said James, not People. I think I carried a weapon with me once or twice out of 110 days last year. Not that I really give a damn whether "people" will or won't boat with me.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:32pm
That's cool, I forgot Matta was a prosecutor. You know me, my info is always a little off or opinionated.

I'm also an unusually forgiving person, something we could use more of in this world, so I always hate to see people get pulled into the system for first time offenses. I guess we only see the bad side of our system on the news, and not the foriving side.   

Anyway, I will boat with you Leif. Just don't shoot at me please.
Nomad
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:34pm
Dave, if I shot at you, I'd have no one to boat with...
rayw
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote rayw Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 9:13am
Leif, this is exactly why I don't tell people when I'm strapped. I carry often but it always seems to freak everyone out if they know I'm packing at the time. Plus, just saying you have a gun or even a concealed weapons permit can be considered a threat and could potentially get you in trouble.

what they don't know can't hurt em' or can it?
rayweinrich@gmail.com
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version