Professor Paddle: Anybody fish steelhead and paddle? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Anybody fish steelhead and paddle? Post Reply Post New Topic
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Topic: Anybody fish steelhead and paddle?
    Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:44pm
Shot in the dark here, but does anyone fish steelhead?  I am pretty fanatical about it myself.  We as paddlers have access to private water untouched by others.  Plus its sweet to combine some boatin with fishin.  Anyone else out there want to combine the two.  I know many spots class III to class V that offer the absolute best of both worlds.  Whats the interest out there?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 7:38am
I would dig that. I have fished for steelhead up off reiter road and a few other spots on the sky but only during the summer and winter runs. It's also packed shoulder to shoulder with other fishermen. Drop me a PM next time you are heading out for the combo. I would need to re-string my reel and pick up a few pieces of gear first. Most of my steelheadin rigs are at the bottom of the sky!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 7:39am
I am more about eat'n dem little buggers though to be honest!!!! Smoked Steelhead Mmm
Hunter
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Hunter Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 9:01am
I just recently starting bringing my gear out on river trips. It certainly spices up those slow sections. I've only been fishing for steelhead 2x but would love to learn more....
Let me know too
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 1:19pm
I've always asked myself why I don't fish. It seems like a missing piece of the overall experience somehow. I'm open to the idea, although I'm so inexperienced at fishing and have no gear. So that'll probably keep me out of the mix for a while. Still, I'd like to learn how, and I like your idea. One of these days.

For now I have a growing number of boats in the quiver that need to be kept in wet-rotation.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:59am
Hey:

Thought I was the only one. It's difficulty to get the timing right since good paddling usually means water that's in terrible shape for fishing and vice-versa, but I'd love to get after some steelhead via kayaks. Seems like this would be particularly advantageous on smaller drainages where drift/jet boats can pound the water into submission.

Post up here if you're thinking about giving the combo a go and I'll do the same.
-Jay
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:43am
I've fished the Sky from my raft a time or two. Never taken my steelhead rig with me in the IK before, but why not? There's a couple of sweet pools in the inner canyon on CC Stilly that would be a nice spot for some plunking.... just if you hook a big steelie, don't let him run down through the big drops. 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:45am
You know how ocean fishing is all about hooking big fish and letting them pull you around till they are tired... our version would really top that if we were in pursuit down class V after din din!!!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:46am
Originally posted by jP

I've always asked myself why I don't fish. It seems like a missing piece of the overall experience somehow. I'm open to the idea, although I'm so inexperienced at fishing and have no gear. So that'll probably keep me out of the mix for a while. Still, I'd like to learn how, and I like your idea. One of these days.

For now I have a growing number of boats in the quiver that need to be kept in wet-rotation.

If you don't fish much, steelheading is probably not the way to start out. It's a miserable damn sport , although, I've spent many many days at it back when I fished more.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 1:26pm

yeah, I can't seriously say I'm in any position to take up fish'n. No experience, no gear, and a short enough attention span don't add up to catching fish.

Kayaking itself is keeping me plenty busy.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version