Professor Paddle: Personal Watchlist vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: Personal Watchlist Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Online Status: Offline
  Quote water wacko Replybullet Topic: Personal Watchlist
    Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 7:30am

This might be a cool new feature for PP. When the homepage comes up after logging in, the flows that come up are MY flows of the runs I do and want to do. Someone else could use my computer, log in, and THEIR flows come up instead of mine or JP's or Rob or whoever. What's it gonna take, James?

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 7:31am
fixed.

Edited by STLboater - 12 Nov 2009 at 12:51pm
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 8:01am
Cool idea...

If it could be set up so that you get a PM when someone posts a trip on one of your runs, that would be awesome. Or if on the river page it gives a list of people listed as watching that river so you could contact people interested if you're setting up a trip.
1150lbsofaire
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote 1150lbsofaire Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 9:11am
i would like to be able to press the up buttin on the key bourd next to a gauge and have the river rise

thanks
lookin for a bow cap for a storm
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 9:47am
Wow! Looks like James has some work to do...also, you can put pictures in any of your galleries without first putting then in the new gallery. Just look at the bottom of the screen for the browse upload field.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 9:48am
Originally posted by 1150lbsofaire

i would like to be able to press the up buttin on the key bourd next to a gauge and have the river rise

thanks

I'll second that! Can we get this feature up and running ASAP?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 10:37am
Ok lets do this one at a time here.

1. Personal Watchlist is already done. It's been a feature for a long long time. You login, click settings, then scroll to the bottom of your page where it says Manage your Favorite Runs. This tool allows you to make your own list of runs. Then you can bookmark it and it even includes shortcuts to the forcasts. Njoy ---> Example of Mine

2. Photo Tool - Thanks for the answer Dave. You can bypass the New Uploads folder by uploading directly into any given album at the bottom of an album page.

3. River Trip Notifications - I would need more detail before I could add this feature. Such as "how can a run be yours?" Are you suggesting that your going to buy a whole river because that is pimp! If you do, using PP is going to be the least of your concerns!!!

4. River Level Increase Button - I will work on that
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 10:38am
Or if we could move water out of one drainage into another by hitting the 'over' button.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 11:18am
I think I might have made some headway on that last one.

Give it a try, but don't everyone click it because this is tied to the Green, and we don't want howard hanson to blow.

dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 12:09pm
Excellent work. The stream outside my house just came up a little. Oh, and Uncle Sam set me straight on a few things.
rayw
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote rayw Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 12:20pm
your mom is a bag of douche!

It seems to be more convenient to use the rivers tab then to go through a couple pages to get to the manage my runs screen. maybe there is a way to make some of these tool more easy to access and user friendly?  I'm not too computer savvy...
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 12:23pm
For the notification of new trips on "my river," I see something tied into the preferences that are already coded. When a river is selected from the drop down list in the trip creation tool, a message is sent to everyone who has that river in their preferred list.

The only way I know to add SMS functionality with no added costs to you, are to have everyone add their cell provider's SMS domain and their cell number. Tech-Recipes.com has a write-up on it.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/939/sms_email_cingular_nextel_sprint_tmobile_verizon_virgin/

Alternatively, users could just create a filter on their own e-mail client to SMS them when they get an e-mail from the Trip Planner.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 2:03pm
A tool could easily be tied into the Favorite Runs list to send emails or PMs when a run is created on a specific stretch. It could also be a simple watch list to show people who else is looking at that run. But to be quite honest, like ray says its all really worthless because no one really uses the stuff ... I mean does anyone besides me even use the favorite run tool? I doubt it, so it would be a bit of a waste to work on it.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by 1150lbsofaire

thanks

YEAH, JAMES!!! Get ON it!!! What have you been doing with your time?

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by James

I think I might have made some headway on that last one.

Give it a try, but don't everyone click it because this is tied to the Green, and we don't want howard hanson to blow.

OOPs- I could'nt leave well enough alone- no self control!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 5:56pm
Seriously though-- in response to Bret's original post, I think that's cool. I never figured it out, but will try to dial it in again.

As far as all this notifying this and that hoo-hah- I think that's just a bunch of overly complicated bullsh*T. I barely had the attention span to follow the star trek-like jargon employed in the conversation yall had back there.

I can PM people if I'm online, and I have all the cell phone numbers I need to call and text as I see fit. I don't see how anything else is needed. I mean, It's bad enough already the way this site allows us to "Smart Mob" a run.  There's a current cultural trend for a paddler to indesciminantly invite anyone and everyone after someone invites him or her to run something.

Wikipedia says:
"A smart mob is a group that, contrary to the usual connotations of a mob, behaves intelligently or efficiently because of its exponentially increasing network links. This network enables people to connect to information and others, allowing a form of social coordination."

While this has potential to be true, I find that on a small continuous creek this claim turns out to be quite false. Basicly you end up with a group size of 12 when you should have 4-6. Be on the lookout, because I'm about to launch a barrage of threads addressing this.

Just need the flows, thanks. And the personal home page river "watchlist" thing is awesome. Thanks again, Prof!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 6:38pm
James,

I think you are the only one who uses the favorites feature, because none of us knew about it. I know I'd never heard of it. I added my favorites to my profile, but I'm still not sure how it really works. When I click through to your profile, I don't see your favorite runs.

I think linking favorite runs to new trips would be a great resource, and I think people would use it.

I agree with jP that most boaters know enough people to put a run together, but there are also people new to the area who don't, and people like myself, who paddle, but aren't really in the scene so much that we have paddle buddies.

I don't know the back-end of the site at all, but I think that there is much to do. Whether it comes to be or not, the site is fantastic, and the community it fosters, even better.

Thanks for all the work.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 9:07am
I am going to add some links today so everything is easier to find, but here is a link to your favorites which was found by browsing the PPages. (dblanchard's favorites)

I will toss a post up here once better linkage is provided.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 10:13am
I found mie and updated my list, but what I was referring to is when the home page opens up, instead of the rivers that are most popular popping up, MY favs will pop up on the home page when I log in. I log out, and someone logs in behind me, THEIR favs pop up. What happens when someone isn't a member? The most popular runs pop up. I do like how the flow is given on the personal fav list.

Thanks, James. I know you do a lot of work on this site, behind the scenes that only Lydia probably sees. What a great venue for boaters! And it's FREE!!!!  Thank you!

edit:    I just saw this is my 900th post.    yeah!

Edited by water wacko - 13 Nov 2009 at 10:19am
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 12:17pm
Alot of updates were made today so drop me some feedback to make sure things are working properly or if you are seeing a problem.

1. Each members profile page has been updated with shortcuts to the PPage Items (See mine as an example: James) Added: Ppage-FSBO,Favs,Beta, Gallery & new look.

2. Forum Posts now contain a link to PM a person at the bottom of each post.
3. Each members Favorite Rivers (aka personal watch list) is now auto loaded on the homepage in place of the seasonal selection. You must be logged in with rivers in your list.
4. On every rivers page at the bottom (See Green Example) is a list of members who are watching. This area is called "Who's Watching". You can directly PM or see a members details from this area.
5. The river level increase button shown below will be removed in a short amount of time as the Howard Hanson Res. Called me after google indexed this tool and insisted I remove it as a matter of national safety.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - And sorry for dropping that phat flow tool again... I just can't get enough of it 
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 1:42pm
Thanks for the updates, James! I love having my watchlist on the homepage. It's a lot more useful for me than all the seattle rivers.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:07pm
More than I could have asked for. Thanks, James.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:29pm
Ambre: had to help Tobin figure this out, but looks great James.   Thanks for the updates you are the man!
Sure?
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:29pm
Pack Sand WOMAN!
Sure?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by water wacko

I found mie and updated my list, but what I was referring to is when the home page opens up, instead of the rivers that are most popular popping up, MY favs will pop up on the home page when I log in. I log out, and someone logs in behind me, THEIR favs pop up. What happens when someone isn't a member? The most popular runs pop up. I do like how the flow is given on the personal fav list.

Thanks, James. I know you do a lot of work on this site, behind the scenes that only Lydia probably sees. What a great venue for boaters! And it's FREE!!!!  Thank you!

edit:    I just saw this is my 900th post.    yeah!

Yup. I always thought this would be the Sh*T!!!!
Thanks for making it a reality James!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version