Professor Paddle: Squirt Boaters vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Squirt Boaters Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Squirt Boaters
    Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:00am
2 part post

1. I have been to SinkSpots.org and think its great but there is no tool that I have found for communicating with other boaters or even linking up with other squirt boaters in the area. AngstKayak is great for general talk but it does not seem like it is formatted to find people in the area. I am just curious if there is a squirt boat forum out there for the PNW?

2. If your a squirt boater and would like to meet up sometime for a session let me know. I am eager to learn how to gain deeper rides and longer downtime. Been sinkin for about a few weeks and I am hooked!!! Hope I can find a few fellow squirt boaters!!!

PS I know I have run into a few here and there but I can't remember any names or even if they use this site, so this all might be a wasted attempt, but its worth a try!

~James

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:49am
So, is this your new excuse not to boat with the rest of us...

"I am a squirt boater now, I don't dwell on the surface with you air breathers anymore"
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:53am
Longer down time?
Try the Sky at about 30k or more. When you see HWY 2 near the left bank, take a deep breathe. I'm guessing about 45-60 seconds down time.
Let me know.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by dave

So, is this your new excuse not to boat with the rest of us...

"I am a squirt boater now, I don't dwell on the surface with you air breathers anymore"

Dave, why do you have to be such a w**ker about EVERYTHING? I mean, I know deep down in your heart you mean well, you're just joking, ect. ect. But anyone who doesn't know you just thinks you're being a w**ker. And they are right, they just perhaps misinterpret the specificity of your wankitude.

Look at it this way: at least now you have more people to boat the Powerhouse with. I mean, personally, I'm gonna play the elitist card with you no matter what type of craft I'm in, or what type of craft you're in. But that's got very little to do with kayaking itself, and more to do with that fact that you are a w**ker.

Call 'em like I see 'em. But then again, like another w**ker on this site, you like any kind of attention, negative or otherwise.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by WA-Boater

Longer down time?
Try the Sky at about 30k or more. When you see HWY 2 near the left bank, take a deep breathe. I'm guessing about 45-60 seconds down time.
Let me know.

well if I'm ever looking for downtime again on the Sky above 30k (well, ok, I wasn't exactly looking for it, but - I found it!), I think the best method is to dispense with the notion of a boat entirely!! It actually was a really special event that, while I wouldn't seek it out intentionally, I'm grateful to have experienced.

Edited by jP - 10 Nov 2009 at 6:25pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 8:27am
Thanks guys for warding off all of my would be squirt buddies. Ya'll don't understand, squirt boaters seek solitude in the depths of colliding currents. Dropping a bomb in my thread ain't gonna help attract these elusive squirtists. 
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 8:33am
Do you know Tracy Clapp?  I'm not sure how often he squirts anymore but he's an excellent paddler and squirt boater. 
flipside
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote flipside Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 12:47pm
There is a small group of sinkers locally about 6 total.I bought a new boat about a year ago still getting used to the pain.We do moast of our destination squirting during the summer gets a little cold in winter since I only fit in the boat with minimal layering.Two of my friends do use there squirt boats almoast full time for river running also.If you are interested in hooking up to run something I am sure we will be on the water sometime soon.
Give me a call #

425-829-4165
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 1:31pm
a guy names silas from the east coast ran the entire grand canyon in a squirt boat on the trip I went on in 6th grade in 2005? 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 7:29pm
I am more of a PnS squirter right now. I can only handle hour long sessions before I have to get out and then I don't really want to get back in again. I had a sweet session this morning that lasted an hour and a half which was my longest time in the boat for one sitting.

I got your number and I will certainly give you a call to hook up for some squirtin. Thanks for the response!

James
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 6:18pm
Sorry, James. Dave brought the bomb, and I lit the fuse. It is an aspect of my character that I hope washes off if I can figure out how to emerse myself for a prolonged period of time...

You're right- locating the rare and elusive critters won't be easy...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 6:30pm
he said "squirt"    huh huh
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 6:30pm
SplashDaddy
Paddler
Paddler

Quote SplashDaddy Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 9:05pm
Part time squirter here.

I'd be up for checking out any park-n-squirt spots.

Wher
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 10:16pm
Yo SplashDaddy- stay in touch then, ok?

James and I are fired up about squirt boating. For All practical purposes I'm calling myself a novice when it comes to the sub surface arts. But suffice to say that over the next year I'll be out refining my charc. No doubt.

Just got a vintage New Wave that fits me really well. Outfitting it currently and planning on doing some restoration work- it doesn't need much- just some minor TLC.

I see how it fits into the bigger picture of my kayaking life.

Now anytime I boat anything local or exceptionally accessible, I'm eying it from the view of a squirt boater. I'm interested in local sink spots around greater Seattle, as well as running rivers (selectively) in my squirt.

so we should go out. The Powerhouse section actually has a few quality spots at certain flows. And the Sky always struck me a s a good run for squirt boats, too.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 11:00pm
Splashdaddy,

Right on! good to meet you too. I don't mean to post and run but next week I am going to be out of state or I would make a good effort to meet up with you. The Spot on the power house has quick become a favorite for me, I have just been calling it the salish seam. It is so easy to access with sandy beaches that I just have a hard time saying no. I will certainly hit you up when I return all stretched out and ready to sink!!!

~J
SplashDaddy
Paddler
Paddler

Quote SplashDaddy Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 9:29am
Typically, squirting is a warm weather thing for me, but I've been known to cave to peer pressure.

I've got a fairly flexible schedule and can often get out during the week. Hollar next time you wanna go for a ride.

I'm pretty new to the area and don't know any of the squirt spots. Can we start putting together a list of spots?

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 10:08am
how's the Sky for squirting? Come out to Split Rock at 11 today!!! I love watching squirt boats disappear. 
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 9:33pm
Everytime I look at the river now, I wonder if my friend James is under there somewhare? Where has James gone to? He is under there someware...
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 11:15pm
Splash Daddy

There is a website called sinkspots.org that has a good listing and I also have started putting them on a map using the riverbase we have here. Check out the featuremap and in the drop down select sinkspots.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 5:35pm
I went to the Salsa Seam on the Powerhouse and rolled upside down looking for James today...I didnt see him, where has he gone too? I will continue to look under the rivers for him until I find him
Nomad
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 3:26pm
There is a spot that would be descent at the right levels (3-5k?).  Got a good well defined eddy, powerful current and nice deep swirly whirls on the fence.  It's like a 1/2 mile upstream from the access we use to takeout in Big Bend.  If I had a Squirter I'd most definitely try it there.  Maybe you should check it out sometime James. 
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 4:29pm
MMMMM, Salsa...
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 6:50pm
Its salish seam not salsa mr Harley

Edited by James - 16 Nov 2009 at 11:10am
SplashDaddy
Paddler
Paddler

Quote SplashDaddy Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 9:44am
Did you guys know the water is really cold?

I was on the Big Eddy run on the Sky saturday, watching those 3 girls swim and I wondered how cold they were. I have a system for measuring water temperature. Hold my hand in the water 'til it hurts. My hand started aching at around 3 to 5 seconds, indicating a water temperature in the mid to high 30's. I held it in another 10 seconds, in sympathy to those who were swimming and in anticipation of squirting. 15 seconds in the water made my hand hurt for 3 1/2 minutes. I cried a little. I can't believe they survived, yet they were all smiles.

BTW, that Big Eddy run is not really a class II run.

What run is it that was mentioned where you take out at Big Bend? Does the squirt spot happen to be fed by a hot spring? Please?

The Sky is approaching 30K. Can I watch somebody else do the meltdown before I try?

The map features on this site are sweet and the Sinkspots site is filling out nicely. Let's try to add to them.

My favorite type spot will be at a confluence or tail end of an island. Two currents of different speeds coming together and under the best of conditions there will be shallow water, leading quickly into deep water(basically, a subsurface pourover/waterfall).

This, like many good squirt spots, can have a really low key appearance. Often class I+ or II, accompanied by tiny little surfing waves.

Looking forward to checking out some spots. Let me know when you go.

Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version