Professor Paddle: dry suits
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Trips Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: dry suits Post Reply Post New Topic
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rokmnky Replybullet Topic: dry suits
    Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 9:56am
So it's finally time to replace my worn out cheapo drysuit with something more worth while. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the drysuits available now. I defiantly want one that's made for a skirt but past that I'm pretty open. 

The best suit from talking to people so far seems to be the kokatat gore-tex meridian. Has anyone used or seen suits from some of the smaller companies like nookie, palm, or level six?

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 10:45am
My responce is rather biased, but check it out for yourself.  Below is a link on info to our Assasssin Dry Suit.  It is super soft, made from a nylon/bamboo hybrid fabric that is highly breathable and waterproof.  The neoprene parts are made from environmentally freindly GaiaPrene.   Active cut, meaning you get the best range of motion without extra material bulk.  I should have my samples in the next couple weeks.

Sorry, but we have no stores carrying our line in the Seattle area at this time.  The closest dealer would be Next Adventure in Portland OR.

All of our products tested hae been getting rave reviews, such as the Assault shell in Canoe & Kayak and the Xtreme Dry Trousers in Rapid Magazine. 
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 10:47am
Oops, heres the link to the Assassin Suit

Tony Z
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 11:01am
I couldn't find any info on the fabric technology that nookie uses. How does it compare to goretex? The assassin is only $50 cheaper than the kokatat. I would really be interested in how well it preforms. Guess ill hunt down some reviews. Let me know when your samples are coming in, i would love to check it out.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 1:42pm
you got a pretty good mix of options. the gmer is the gold standard by which all others are measured against. i recently got a nrs event drysuit and found it to work really well at almost 1/2 the price of a new kokatat.   the fit is good and seems to offer better breathability than gore. personally i'd never buy another gmer as they tend to break down easily- though they have excellent customer service. but then so does nrs... and their products can often be found on sale.   
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 2:15pm
Let the hate or deafing silence come.  I'm paddling here in the SE, home of PFD only weather.  Bye, bye drysuit 9 out of 12 months and ice cream headaches.
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 2:15pm
I've got a Palm Torrent (their cheaper dry suit) and it works fine - read not great, not bad.  I get a little wet but not enough to be a big deal.  I've worn it plenty of times in the middle of winter... even swam while it was snowing! and stayed warm.

I got mine used from a sea kayaker pretty cheap.  Again, it's not bomber but gets the job done.

If I was on the market for a new  dry suit I would highly consider the Kokatat gmer.  As Harms said they are the gold standard.... BUT innovation brings new technology to the market and you just don't know if they are a fad or legit.  I usually stick with standards instead of some new trend, been burned in the past.

justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 4:15pm
I have a level six and it is pretty darn nice.  One thing I will say though, around here it is nice to have a relief zipper and booties.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 8:37pm
The Kokatat GMER Gortex rocks. Sorry, nothing compares to this one. It is worth every penny, and the customer service is unparreled. You just can't beat Kokatat!
Nomad
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 12:21am
Originally posted by rokmnky

I couldn't find any info on the fabric technology that nookie uses. How does it compare to goretex? The assassin is only $50 cheaper than the kokatat. I would really be interested in how well it preforms. Guess ill hunt down some reviews. Let me know when your samples are coming in, i would love to check it out.

It is a  new fabric, but has been in proto / test stage for nearly 2 years.  The reviews by the testers are great, but I have only seen a sample Assassin at OR. 

Any fiber can become breathable and waterproof, its all about how it is woven.  even the brand name textiles are still a woven nylon (or hybrid mixture), coated with something to make it bead water and look pretty on the shelf.  The advantages to adding bamboo are many.  Bamboo is antimicrobial, so it won't obsorb the funk smell, much more durrable/ abrasion resistant, and susatanable.

Yes, Kokatat has been making killer stuff for years, but I think folks will be very happy with the Assassin Series (We are also doing a Drytop from the same material)

The GaiaPrene used has been in the medical industry for years.  It is much much stronger then neoprene, yet just as soft.  No CFCs, HCFCs, are given off in its production like neoprene and uses no hologen or PVC, all of which are ozone depleting.
Tony Z
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 8:55am
What do you guys think of this?
http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162&Itemid=311

(never mind the name...)
More water, please.
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 9:07am
I just saw one of those in the surf shop. They are a lot more stylish than any whitewater drysuits, but I sure wouldn't want to swim anything with is on.

I think it might be a good option for Northwest snowboarding though. 
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 9:09am
the lucifer suit looks really cool and super functional for kiteboarding. I dont think the design would work too well for kayaking. But our brands could definatly take a few ques from them in style. 
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 10:32am
I dunno, with an el ninio predicted this year that lucifer suit looks loke a good all around purchase, if you could deal with the hood. They should make a version without or detachable ! I like the bamboo suits as well. I wish they would come out with gascetts that last longer or arn't so damn expensive !!! 
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 11:57am
Is the kokatat goretex suit really worth that much more than the tropos? Has anyone used both to compare? I hate to spend that much more if it's only a nominal performance difference.
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 4:00pm
Tropos works fine for me, but it definately doesn't breathe as well.  I've used mine for three or so seasons now.  I'm usually pretty sweaty when I get done, but I've also got more table-muscle (read fat) than the normal paddler.

The fabric seems to be pretty durable.  Numerous abbrasive instances with no tears.  The thing that bothers me the most about the Tropos is the gaskets....not as nice as my gore-tex drytop ones, and the cuffs don't velcro around the neck or wrists, which isn't as nice.  But for the price difference I can deal with that. 

Hope that helps.
-Lanson
Camel
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Camel Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 4:14pm
If anyone has a worn out dry suit or top that they're going to throw away I'll take it off your hands 
Of course it would have to fit someone 6'4''
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 7:48am
tropo is not a real breathable barrier. I have a couple nrs tropos drytops that I would hesitate to wear syn poly pro- and instead use mystrry skin - a low profile neoprene.     With gore or event you can wear whatever....just bout.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version