Professor Paddle: Beginner looking for advice / beta vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Beginner looking for advice / beta Post Reply Post New Topic
EddyHog
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EddyHog Replybullet Topic: Beginner looking for advice / beta
    Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 9:22am
Hi all,
    I’m looking for some recommendations for some beginner level rivers around where I live, which is Monroe.  Class II is preferable initially and will start to tackle Class III as I become more comfortable.  I’ve boated Class III previous, but it has been a few years.  I know it is asking a lot, but I would also like to find someone to boat with who wouldn’t mind boating these types of rivers with as well.  I’ve lost my roll but I’m working on getting it back.  I miss the rivers and need to get back to paddling.

Here are the runs that I am currently looking at that I’ve picked up from Bennet’s book and the river pages here:
•    Big Eddy to Monroe
•    Wallace
•    South Fork Stillaguamish – Granite Falls to Jordan
•    Railroad Bridge to Big Eddy @ lower flows ( < 1500 CFS)
•    Tolt from Carnation to Snoqualmie

Would anyone care to comment on them?  I fear Bennet’s book is a little dated and the river pages here have very little about most of them and I would like to get some beta on them if I could.  I've boated RR - Big Eddy and below Boulder drop to RR at low flows.

Thanks,

John Sheppard
Monroe, WA

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 9:48am
John,
Since you live in Monroe, the RR Bridge to Big Eddy is a very obvious choice, you can put in below the bridge at first and at split rock when you are comfortable.
The only rapid you might not enjoy will be Fishermans, but if you are following a good leader you will be fine.
The rest of the run is a perfect training ground and a great run in it's self.
I have been off the water for a year with an injury and will be getting back on next weekend, something in the II   - III range, (probably RR Bridge down) you are more than welcome to come. You will find that very few people mind helping people get on the rivers around here.
We all see it as paying forward the kindness that was extended when we were starting.
Cheers
Sure?
schizoid
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote schizoid Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 10:35am
John,

I'm definitely up for doing those runs with you. Check PM.

Bill
The Dude abides.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 11:08am
Tobin & John

I'd like to join you guys on that trip next weekend; I've been off the river for a while too because of school.  I spent a couple of afternoons at the local pond making sure I still had a roll, but there's nothing like moving water - keep me posted.

This is a great site for finding paddling partners and getting help when you need it, keep checking back John.

As far as the rivers you mentioned, I'm only familiar with the Big Eddy section - and as Tobin said, it's a good run for  building skills.  There's also the Powerhouse section of the Snoqualmie, and the SF Snoqualmie to check out.

Bennet's book has been around for a while, but it's still a really good source of info.  Also check out the river descriptions here and on the AW site.

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
EddyHog
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote EddyHog Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 2:04pm
Tobin,
    Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I have to work next weekend.  I will keep monitoring the board and see if I can get in on a run with you guys sometime in the near future.
    Speaking of Fishermans, I had a come to Jesus moment there at about 6500 CFS.  I was thankful to have very good boaters with me that day.  They always say don't look where you don't want to go and I just couldn't help but too look at the hole just to river left of center in the lower part.  I took the sneak down the top section hugging the river left bank then cut hard towards river right across in the middle section...   That's when I seen the hole that was giving me the CFM eyes and couldn't look away...  It's pretty pushy at that level..... .
     You know that willingness to help strangers in this sport is one of the things that makes it so awesome.  I can't think of a lot of sports in which people go so far out of thier way to help one another, even people that don't know.
    Hope your shoulder healing is going well and your trip next weekend finds it strong with no discomfort.

Thanks,

John
EddyHog
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote EddyHog Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 2:33pm
Dan,
  Unfortunately I won't be able to make it next weekend due to work. 
The runs I mentioned seem with in the difficulty range I'm looking for and will allow me to work out the kinks and allow me to build my confidence level back up. 
I've did the Big Eddy section at both low flows < 1500cfs and flows at around 6500 cfs.  I probably shouldn't have done it at the higher flow but the sirens song called to me and I answered....
   I agree that there are great sections along that stretch but I want do other rivers on the easier side scale as well.
   Thanks for the encouragement and info.  Greatly appreciated.

John

Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 6:16pm
Hey John,
My husband and I live in Monroe as well and run the Sky often.  The next time we head out on Big Eddy we can post here and let you know.  The Sky runs from Big Eddy down are REALLY easy.  You'll see lots of rafters and tubers out there.  If you run Big Eddy below 3000 I think you'll be fine.  There are also runs like the Powerhouse and Club stretch on the Snoqualmie as well as the South Fork of the Snoqualmie and the Yo Yo stretch on the Green River.  Shoot us an e-mail if you can make it out one evening after work and we'll join you on Big Eddy.   

Courtney & Jimmy Nipper
nibbler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote nibbler Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2009 at 8:40am
Hi John -

I live in Sultan and would be happy to join you on practice runs in the evenings after work or on the week-end. I'm trying to get out 3-4 days a week and back up to speed after long breaks due to work.

As Courtney posted, the runs from Big Eddy down are mostly flat water and not much in the way of practice spots, especially for the time it takes to do the run. I took a visiting friend last fall who had just completed her beginner whitewater class down that stretch and she was complaining it was too boring. We ran the Split Rock to Big Eddy section the next day and while it was a "step up" for her, she didn't feel freaked out or that it was way beyond her ability to handle.

Betsy
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2009 at 10:59am
I live in Woodinville, but currently have lots of time to boat, if anyone is interested in a weekday, middle of the day paddle, afterwork whatever, for Split Rock to Big Eddy or puting on anywhere higher let me know.  I usually just park and play at Splitrock, since I'm new in town and dont have a posse.

ironmonkeyproductions at yahoodotcom
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2009 at 3:45pm
All good input. 4 sure. Just wanted to weigh in and tell you I think you're onto something with the S. Frk Stilly (Granite falls down). It's a class II stretch I have always wanted to do. I'm sure it's really pretty. It may be dropping out though. Not sure too much about flows, but these guages should be enough to help you figure it out. Rainy season, or early spring might be best. Then there's the Skagit. which generally has plenty of water. It's mostly class I-II, with one class III- rapid ("S-Bends").

I paddle a lot these days, and I've managed to put a huge dent in the Bennett book. I find at least 80% of the info in it to be quite relevant. Sometimes I look for higher flows than he recommends, but that's just me.

Have fun! Try to get over tho the Wenatchee this summer, too. Lots of good easy II+/III
over there.
EddyHog
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote EddyHog Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 10:22pm
JP,
Thanks for the feedback.  It is already looking like the Stilly is dropping out.  Anyone run that stretch recently?  Any beta?  Would like to try and give it a go.  If I have to wait to rainy season, so be it.

Skagit would be interesting.  I heard Wanatchee was a good advanced beginner / intermediate run.  Is that the correct way to characterize that?

I'm afraid my Bennet's book is looking pretty said with all the dog ears of rivers I want to do.  I have my whole progression marked out in that book..

Wanting to get out next weekend since I have to work this weekend.

John
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:55am
I live on the section of the Stilly you are talking about an it is a mostly flat paddle with a few riffles.  I've run it as low as about 4.5 feet.  You'll see people in inner tubes floating it all summer long.

If you start below the Granite Falls fish ladder, you will get a couple of class III rapids that quickly taper off the Class II in the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile.  Once you get to the Jordan road bridge (you can also put in here), it's mostly moving water with some easy rapids - nothing anywhere close to as hard or long as Fishermans on the Sky.  Take out at the Suspension bridge over the river (you get to it by following Jordan road several miles past the bridge over the Stilly).

While I haven't done it and it's too low right now, another run to consider is the upper stretch of Canyon Creek Stilly.  I know JoeKayak has done it and can give you some beta.

dave
Dave
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 9:24am
John,
The Wenatchee at this level is pretty straight forward and you can sneak around everything.  However, if you're nervous about running Big Eddy, at this level the waves on the Wenatchee won't be much easier except that they are smoother.  Jimmy and I are looking to run the Sky tomorrow and meeting up with the PP group at 10.  If you would like to come and run Big Eddy when we get down there please do.  There will be some others joining us on Big Eddy as well.  If you come, please meet us down at Railroad Bridge by the river at 12 noon.  We will be arriving somehwere around that time.     
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Texas Dave

I live on the section of the Stilly you are talking about an it is a mostly flat paddle with a few riffles.  I've run it as low as about 4.5 feet.  You'll see people in inner tubes floating it all summer long.

If you start below the Granite Falls fish ladder, you will get a couple of class III rapids that quickly taper off the Class II in the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile.  Once you get to the Jordan road bridge (you can also put in here), it's mostly moving water with some easy rapids - nothing anywhere close to as hard or long as Fishermans on the Sky.  Take out at the Suspension bridge over the river (you get to it by following Jordan road several miles past the bridge over the Stilly).

While I haven't done it and it's too low right now, another run to consider is the upper stretch of Canyon Creek Stilly.  I know JoeKayak has done it and can give you some beta.

dave

Dave's talking about this run on CC:

http://professorpaddle.com/rivers/riverdetails.asp?riverid=4556

I put  a good deal of info into that entry, but if you have more questions, let me know. It's a good run, but unless we get some freak summer rainstorm, it's too low until fall rains start. About 600 cfs is a good level for first time (if they get the gage working) otherwise look for 5.5 to 6 feet on the SF stilly gage.
EddyHog
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote EddyHog Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 11:04am
Joe,
   Thanks for the beta, will put that on the sniper list, which btw, keeps growing... 
EddyHog
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote EddyHog Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 11:05am
Courtney,
    Won't be able to make it today.  I would definitely like to boat with you guys sometime in the near future.  Thanks for all the information.

John
bribri76
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote bribri76 Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 11:03pm
You want experienced paddlers with you for Big Eddy.  From Monroe, Powerhouse is only 8 minutes further by way of Tolt. than railroad bridge (split rock) to Big Eddy.  Powerhouse is degrees easier than Big Eddy and there's always people around the whole run.  If you were to blast from top to bottom you could do it in 5 minutes, but most people don't do this. It is a great place to practice ferrying, surfing and eddie hopping for hours.  Once at the bottom you can walk back up to the top in 15 minutes allowing you to use only one vehicle.   It's not a run per se  but a place to practice skills for runs.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version