Professor Paddle: Paddle blades... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Paddle blades... Post Reply Post New Topic
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tiziak Replybullet Topic: Paddle blades...
    Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 11:43am
So my almost new Werner is already looking pretty beat up. At the edges of the blades it looks like the layers of fiberglass are starting to become unbonded. Anyone know how to stop this , or at least delay this?
Thanks
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 2:48pm
There's a product called "rim rubber" out there that's basically a little bumper that goes around the edge of your blade to protect it. I've never used it, but might be worth a try.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 2:53pm
"rim rubber" ???

You have to be joking... that sounds like something you would find next to a box of Trojans.

I would think you could double layer it with extra fiberglass or a few pads of duct tape.
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 2:54pm
a cheap easy method that has worked for me is a suncure epoxy repair kit for surfboards.  it's designed for quick easy ding repair on boards for surfers that are either lazy or need an emegency repair and unable to do it right.

What i have done is paint a thin layer of the suncure epoxy on the edges of my blade with NO prior surface prep.  That way you DO NOT get a good bond.  So damage and dings happen to the new layer of suncure and not your laminated paddle blade.  it does require occasional touchup, but its easy.

You can uses epoxy and prep the old surface but you will still eventually get wear and by sanding the existing laminate you are losing some materail albeit not much if done correctly.

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 3:05pm
I knew someone would have to make that connection... most likely a pervert too.

http://www.salamanderpaddlegear.com/shop/index.php?cPath=2_57
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 1:22pm
ok-- here comes uncle jP to look at this topic from an entirely different angle....

Originally posted by tiziak

Anyone know how to stop this , or at least delay this?
Thanks

Now I know this advice is of limited value, but hear me out, because the concept has merit:

1)Hit less rocks with your paddle when you paddle.
2) Eliminate the bahavior of throwing your paddle around on shore and treating it like an indestructible peice of gear (it isn't)--just be understanding that when you have to get out of your boat quickly, occassionally you will be required to inflict some abuse
3)Hit less rocks with your paddle when you paddle. just be understanding that when you have to bust a move to get back on your line, occassionally you will be required to inflict some abuse. Most paddlers are just sloppy about this. When you are on a familiar stretch of river feeling more bored than you'd like, practice paddling as far as possible without hitting any rocks with your paddle. Believe me this works, and it will make you a better paddler as well. More precise.

Having said that, creeking is inherently hard on paddles. No way around it. Part of the game. But unless you are doing some stout creeking, paddling with style and grace should greatly reduce wear and tear. You just have to care about your paddle and your technique.

Plenty of other people can tell you this or that about repair and maintainence. I'm here to provide the other perspective.
Sir Boofs a Lot
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Sir Boofs a Lot Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by jP

ok-- here comes uncle jP to look at this topic from an entirely different angle....

Hilarious, and yet so true.   Keep preaching the gospel brother!  
Don't make me boof slap you.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 3:05pm
SBAL is James, that is another James like comment...
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 3:47pm
I will, without the use of an alias, call you an irritating douche bag, after I stop by your house on the way home with a flaming bag o crap, which will occur right after I get done with work and complete the change on your profile. Touche Douche
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 4:41pm
I love the changed profile. Great work.
Sir Boofs a Lot
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Sir Boofs a Lot Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 5:04pm
"boofless Babbler"    HAHA       

Hey Tiziak,   as other have pointed out, you can touch it up with epoxy, or put specially made rubber around the blades, as Joe pointed out.  But in the long run ,JP has the best advice,  when he says its about taking care of your paddle. 

All paddles wear down, especially the fiberglass ones.  Just being conscious in the future about paddling off rocks,  can add years to the life of your stick.  I used to go through a paddle per season...   now days, i can stretch it out to about 2 years +. 
Don't make me boof slap you.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 5:12pm
Thanks all. I know, I do take pretty good care of my paddle but I have been doing a bit more creeking, boofing and such and I noticed that the blades are taking a bit of a beating. I will try the epoxy and see how that works out
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 1:14pm
Yeah, ultimately you'll need to watch your wear and tear, as well as do some maintainence-- my stick is about 2-1/2 seasons old now, and has some chips in the topcoat.

And not to be too hipocritical, but my paddle gets beat to hell also. To a large extent it can't be helped.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 2:22pm
I just beat the shit out of my paddles and then replace them when they wear out in about 2 years or so...Its only money and you cant take it with you...
Nomad
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 5:27pm
My $0.02

1- The rim rubber thing kida works, but I found that it increased blade flutter; it was a little annoying - you may not care.  And you can do the same thing with plastic tubing and an X-acto knife. 

2- Tried the duct tape thing too - it only lasts one or two river trips before it has to be re-applied.  Duct tape just doesn't have the durability to handle rocks.

3- I like the epoxy/surfboard repair option.  I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it would work.

4- One thing that worked well for me was going with a more durable paddle.  Fiberglass doesn't have the durability to handle rocks either.  I bought an AT3 and paddled it for five years before SW Airlines baggage handlers broke it.  I know, you can't hardly turn around without finding some dude who will swear AT paddles are the worst thing on the market.  I had a great experience - that paddle was awesome.  I think AT uses nylon on the edges or something.  The paddle was black and the edge had about a 1/2 inch of yellow weaved material.  After 5 years, I went through about half the yellow stuff in the high wear areas.  Awesome.

5- Ultimately, JP's got the best advice - take care of it and you can save replacement money.

6- Of course all this is moot if you're loaded like Dave; in that case, just buy new stuff and don't worry about it. 

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version