Professor Paddle: Tallest waterfall ever run... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Tallest waterfall ever run... Post Reply Post New Topic
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: Tallest waterfall ever run...
    Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 11:01am
Ok, how come I haven't heard anybody state this?

As far as I can tell Tyler's run was not only the highest ever single waterfall in a kayak, but also barrel, log, inner tube or pool toy.

I'm sorry in advance to the younger (Mike) Faussett who I know has posted here before.

Your Grandfather was awesome!!  I knew his story before it went front page and I wish I could have met him.

Evening magazine crossed their facts...  They used 186ft (Tyler's Palouse Falls height) for Silver Falls Oregon (Faussett's highest waterfall) instead of the true height of 177ft.

Faussett also did shoshone falls, but it is multiple tiered.

Video of ROB!!! (but also of Faussett's highest drop)
http://www.king5.com/video/eveningmagazine-index.html?nvid=349429
Silver Falls Height:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Falls_State_Park

Tyler's video again (for the heckuvit):
http://kayakwaterfalls.com/

I wish I could have been there, I have made several trips there and always swore it was doable (not so much by me, but we were going to throw a boat off of it anyway...)

Tyler did one better, congratulations man!  Anybody who talks trash about him needs to go look at the fall, its not the fall that hurts it's the stop at the bottom.  He did perfect, stayed right in the flow.  I just didn't know if the pool would be deep enough, apparantly it was!

Edited by etive - 22 Jun 2009 at 11:08am
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 8:02am
Not to detract from Tyler's phenomenal accomplishment, but I was watching Warren Miller's "Off the Grid" last night and saw some yahoo ski off a 255' cliff. He landed flat on his back with his knees bent in the powder below, and was all smiles in the next scene, but it was obviously shot on a different day, perhaps weeks later. I don't know whether that was the position he planned to land in or not.

http://blog.sierratradingpost.com/in-outdoors-camping-gear-forest-trails/extreme-skiers-255-foot-cliff-jump-videos/

I'll never be as gnarly as any of these people.

D
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 10:20am

I read somewhere the force of the hit from Tyler's waterfall was 9 G's. I wouldn't want to try to break that. It'll be interesting to see the actual data from his run.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 10:48am
They cannot calculate the force of his hit (unless they had an accelerometer in his boat) because he didn't stop immediately.  The water slowed him down (thus he didn't die)

Fighter pilots can experience 10g's for extended periods and not black out...

Sorry to get nerdy...
H2O please
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 11:30am
don't the fighter pilots have special suits to keep their blood from coagulating?
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 11:34am
Hey Travis,
 Tyler did  have an accelerometer in his boat, witch measured as Brett pointed out, 9 G's.  Impressive to say the least.  I remember reading that fighter pilots have special suits that are extremely tight around the legs,  which forces blood to the upper extremities of the body, enabling pilots to maintain conscious during high G turns.   The fact that he didnt pass out is just one more feat he accomplished during this run. 
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 1:56pm
Thats awesome!

I'd love to know what type he used? 

Its not blood coagulation, thats how scabs form.  Its blood pressure drop in the brain and lack of oxygen that causes blackout...  Not to take away from the accomplishment in the least, but 9gs isn't generally accepted as enough to cause internal damage.

50g's is an accepted level where injury/death occurs.  Race drivers have walked away from 100g's with no injuries before though.

Makes ya wonder what's possible :P... 10 times more force???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

Edited by etive - 25 Jun 2009 at 1:56pm
H2O please
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 3:11pm
I'll stick to 1.6 G's thank you.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 12:35pm
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8189781&page=1

Tyler on Good Morning America.
More water, please.
mikefaussett
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote mikefaussett Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 8:33pm
Let's see, Al went over a 212 ft waterfall that is supposed to be tiered.  He must have bounced all the way down.  I don't think so.  I don't have any proof of where he went over the lip of the falls, but it would seem a no brainer that he would have chosen a straight drop.  Looking at pictures of the falls, the are several straight drops and lots of rock outcroppings. Some websites call the falls tiered, but they also list the tallest drop as 212ft.

See::  http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/waterfall.php?num=2910

The tiered term probably comes from the smaller falls just above the main falls, but it's height is not included in the total. 

See picture at:  http://media.photobucket.com/image/shoshone%20falls/handcannons/Landscapes/Shoshone_Falls_sm.jpg

Someday, I may find those old newsreels that  prove  me out.

I don't want to take anything away from the young man who risked his life to make the jump, but the world record should be 212ft..  And it should be  held by Al Faussett.

Mike Faussett

H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 8:58pm
I know he is your grandfather and I do not want to take anything away from his accomplishments but IMHO there is a HUGE difference between enclosing yourself inside of a hollowed out tree and virtually having no control versus only half of your body being enclosed and controlling your speed, point of entry and then rolling up at the bottom. Al was a pioneer and a true adrenaline junkie but he did not have to roll his log and with out the help of people on shore could not control his craft.
H2Ohta
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 7:55am
I'm with you Ohta. Al's a pioneer, but did not possess the skill of a Bradt or a Mckibbin. Anyone could've been in that log.
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 8:20am
Anyone?  Really?  Running that height takes a mighty large set and not everyone has a mighty large set.  A couple feet lower that Tyler but no boat to absorb the impact, no aeration to the water and a couple flips. 
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 8:36am
WTF!!!!   That dude is insane. He takes the cake in my book. I don't think I would climb up that frickin' ladder to the platform much less EVER think of doing a triple reverse off of it and in a Speedo. Yeah, no aeration or protection, flipping and in a Speedo is pretty amazing.
H2Ohta
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 8:33pm
I wonder where he put the accelorometer?
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 1:20am
I am with Mike on this one, Tyler does not really have the record of tallest waterfall ever run. To the best of my knowledge that honor belongs to the little girl who survived her accidental swim over Niagra Falls, not Al Faussett.

Tyler's definately got the record for largest waterfall kayaked, but there are plenty of other ways to get down the river.

Kyle
I smell bacon
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 8:09am
But when you add in the style points, Tyler's run is actually the tallest
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
ghost
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote ghost Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 8:53am
Niagra is 20 feet smaller than Palouse.
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 10:15am
I think Tyler, the diver guy, Mr. Faucett and the little girl should all whip it out and compare junk, then we can put this thread to bed and focus on the White Salmon trip in two weeks!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 11:49am
Funny how much buzz this still generates-- people got to split hairs about which form of this or that is more valid of a record, ect.

Tyler's descent is the highest descent of a waterfall in a kayak. Period. Al Faucett wasn't in a kayak. Period. Little girls falling off of Niagra? Call Superman. She wasn't in a kayak, and wasn't running it with INTENT. Period.

Pedro Olivia, as impressive as it was to see the guy huck it, didn't stick it. You have to at least paddle or float away from the falls to consider it a successfull descent, if you want to claim a world record. Period.

Who's next? That's what I want to know. Not me, that's for sure.

BTW - Palousse falls is class VI. So is Sunset falls.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version