Professor Paddle: Aliases vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Rules
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Rules
Message Icon Topic: Aliases Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Poll Question: Should we ban Hugo, SBAL and the other known Aliases?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [60.00%]
14 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Aliases
    Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 8:25am
So as you know we have yet another spark of desire to end the aliases that have been started on this board. For those that voted in Brett's Poll ... A huge Thanks of course except for the 3 people that made 31 multiple votes to shut down PP, and a big thanks to Brett for adding that poll option along with Multiple Voting, a recipe for spite.

Here is the interesting thing: A while ago we had someone join PP that was like the 3 who voted to shut it down. They were a little spiteful and decided to erase all the river and features and river warnings since that was a 100% un-moderated area. Because of that, I have made that area moderated to prevent abuse and forced all new members to be approved by a moderator. The problem is that for the last year as I have reviewed new members it has startled me how difficult it is to tell who is fake and who is not. Many of you know when you joined I sent you an email asking if you were real. That's alot of work and quite honestly I don't know how were going to 100% manage this.

So to start this poll is just to remove the below Aliases that I have found. If you know of others PM me and I will add them to the list.
  • Sir Boofs Alot
  • Hugo
  • Belshazzar
  • Confucius
  • Coreboater
  • Funnywater
I hate to say this but people will still speak their minds and even forcing real names in profiles is difficult unless we have an E-Bouncer checking your state issued Paddling Licsense ... amazing

Edited by James - 18 Jun 2009 at 8:44am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 8:47am
Aliases do sometimes cause conflict and can be irritating and annoying when used in a negative way, but censorship is NOT the answer.  Allowing folks to contribute in an anonymous manner doesn't have to = negative content.  It's more about individual discretion, and allowing the community to moderate content thru prescribed channels of intervention (whatever that means).  But to say that a couple folks don't like knowing whose being malicious behind the screen, and allowing them to dictate the rules of engagement seems 'high and mighty'.  But then... if removing aliases promotes the 'health and welfare' of an online forum designed for sharing and promoting a common interest (paddling), then so be it.  I just don't think it does. 
My 2 cents
MikeHarms
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 9:06am

OK, I am finally going to comment on this matter, I have been holding off until now.

I have participated in other forums throughout the internet including professional, sports, gaming, and hobbies websites. All these other websites do not allow aliases to exist once they start spewing harsh language or other non-constructive statements (some do not allow aliases at all). They are allowed to exist if they have and continue to have thoughtful and constructive input relating to the websites function and activities.

So, when Hugo like comments are made, Hugo gets banned from the site. Complaints are lodged and Hugo like people are either banned or suspended for a period of time, and a warning is issued to that affect to the abuser.

This is how most other websites are handled and maybe we should join them on how we handle abusive aliases.

I think this is reasonable and there is a report button at the bottom of each post that we all can use to report abuse on this website. SO, use it! I also think the report should be cc'd to the abuser so he can tell when he has crossed the line and knows that his time is coming to an end.

I voted yes, but only if the alias is abusive and destructive to this website. It's time to grow up and get a little more serious about this great resource.

That is all I have to say about this.

D

Edited by dave - 18 Jun 2009 at 9:07am
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 11:03am
I participate in a blog/community that has a similar feature Dave.  Each post can be 'flagged' which alerts a mod to review the post, or 'recced' which is a recommendation.  Enough recs and a post gets a little more weight, stays more visible etc.  No amount of flagging triggers any action, only a moderator can take action about the post. 

Regarding aliases, I think people are conflating two separate issues:

one issue is "aliases" that are secondary accounts used by posters when they don't want to say something themselves.  No quality forum I've ever used allows these, and my vote to ban aliases above is referring to these secondary accounts used to hide people's identity (identity = their normal user account, not necessarily a real person's real name). 

the second is "aliases" that are like my username 'slickhorn'  No, it isn't my real name.  But it is my only account here, consistent with the username I use on Mtb Buz and boatertalk etc, I often sign my posts the same way I sign email, and my sig link goes to my blog so it's pretty easy to id me as a specific person.  I don't have a problem with accounts like this, I think a username of "brian" or 'bvogt' is just boring.  Slickhorn is an incredible slick rock tributary of the San Juan in southeastern utah and I chose it because of some special memories I have there. 

Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 11:26am
My question is;

If we ban irritating people because of their abusive and unwavering opinion, shouldn't we ban Leif?
I agree, he has the sack to stand behind what he says. But, he is as inflammatory and irritating as any of the aliases.
Are we drawing the line at unknown posters, or irritating ones?
And who decides what is irritating?
Sure?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 11:50am
I revert back to the gaming community...

They ban people when their language and behavior is constantly derogatory and has no substance to the website.

Example is constant f bombs and curse language directed towards people which has no place in society in general.

It's a simple thing of being a human being and trying to be real. Being irritating is a normal attribute that many people share and is not a banable offense. Think of how you would act at work or with your family, this is kind of like a family.
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 12:00pm
The poll will be left up for voting until next friday at which time we will make the final decision.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 12:04pm
I treat my co-workers and especially my family with the greatest amount of respect.
Why? Because I care for them and respect their words as much as my own. If they took the time to talk to me, they deserve my respect.
There is a reason people have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Listen twice as much as you speak!
Sure?
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 2:15pm
I think aliases are a problem because they are intentional efforts to hide an identity by posting under an alternate account.  Because they are aliases, and not a user's primary account, only the most inflammatory posts are made under the alias. 

I don't support censorship, but I do support limiting users to one account.  That's pretty common and consistent with other sites, as Dave mentions.  If people want to be jerks with their one account, well, it's up to us to police the threads.  No one is censored, but no aliases are present. 

I think it should still be possible to post anonymously.  I don't think the alias is a problem because we don't know who the poster really is, it's a problem because it's a secondary account used for the most inflammatory posts.

Leif certainly creates most of his own problems, and exacerbates others.  I don't think he needs to be banned or moderated though.  It's noticeably more calm around here with him away though.  How much of that is him being away, versus those folks who always look to get in his face not having the opportunity though?

on another note, I don't particularly like the edit function.  Good idea, but abused on this board.If it were disabled, and someone really needed to correct something, they could quote their previous post and clarify. 
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 2:47pm
Where's the "I don't give a shit" option for poll?

Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 3:20pm
Can anyone other than Randy Johnson 'get in' Leif's face?
I realize you were speaking metaphorically, but it made me smile.

Sure?
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 9:33pm
My opinion on aliases is simple. You should get one account. What you name that account is up to you, but if you want to post personal attacks do it under your normal user name and don't hide behind some proxy account so nobody knows where the comment came from.

If anyone is abusive on here without provocation they should be suspended, and if the problems continue they should be banned. My take on Lief is that he contributes to the forum as well as the community, and while some of his posts have become hostile this is a direct result of other users drecting personal attacks on him. He can be bullheaded  and he puts himself out there which makes him a easy target, but if you go around slapping a guy in face every chance you get don't be surprised if one day he tries to kick your teeth in.

We should not ban someone because we let a situation get out of control and they got pissed off at the people who have been attacking him.

Kyle
I smell bacon
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 10:14pm
Slickhorn, D4 and Wiggins all make good points. I started all this because the aliases on here seem to just spew negativity. I have friends who live and boat here who won't come on anymore because of it. Anyway, I say end the aliases, talk shit if you want, but sign your name. Alias or not, if all you do is irritate people, I don't want you on my block.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 10:21pm
All very good points.

I just don't see a reasonable explanation for anonymous shit talking.  Grow a pair and stand behind your words or shut the F up.

The one acount idea sounds best - I bet the smack talkers will vanish.

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 10:30pm

Harms for president...

suck it
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by dave

... All these other websites do not allow aliases to exist once they start spewing harsh language or other non-constructive statements (some do not allow aliases at all). They are allowed to exist if they have and continue to have thoughtful and constructive input relating to the websites function and activities.

holy moly dude, are you dumb?  you are making a case against your own damn self... 
suck it
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 9:18am
Yes Hugo, but I do not use a chicken sh*& alias like you. I just use my real name, and I have decided to take a more mature stance on this website and stop messing with people because I am bored at work.

This is a great resource and I would like to see it evolve into a serious sporting website that anyone can enjoy and utilize without the fear of being personally attacked because they have a real opinion.

furthermore, I have never had any issues with Leif's posts. He is one of the more mature and intelligent people here. I just liked messing with him because he is such a fun guy. He is also one of the people that never got mad at me for pushing his buttons, he always took it like it was, just joking around and we had fun with it.

Edited by dave - 19 Jun 2009 at 9:21am
Nomad
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 10:24am

I glad you pro-censorship folks do not run any other media.  I seem to be reading 1984. 

slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Meghan

I glad you pro-censorship folks do not run any other media.  I seem to be reading 1984. 

When I'm in a meeting at work, or at thanksgiving dinner at grandma's, I don't drop f-bombs, bait people or otherwise act like an ass (as much as possible, anyway). And if I do, I can expect to be disciplined. 

It's no different here.  "Censorship" is a bit strong for what is being discussed here, in fact almost all the posts above are advocating people posting whatever they want to say here, but doing so from only one account. 

1984 references are just ridiculously overblown here.  No one is going to send Leif to the Ministry of Mank, take away his boats, and torture him for posting inane diatribes. 
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 11:10am
This has been a fascinating thread.

What is striking to me about Professor Paddle is that it is a public forum but it is much more like a private club.  Unlike other internet forums, most of the people on this site know each other in real life and often have boated together at one time or another.

If you had an (in-person) meeting of a club, and some of the members of the club wore disguises and started calling other people dirt-bags (or whatever), the other club members probably wouldn't stand for that type of behavior.  If a substantial portion of the conversation at a club meeting was name-calling and provocation, many members would be turned off and quit the club if the leaders (or the community) didn't decide to do something about the agitators.

It isn't a censorship thing, it's a civility and maturity thing. 

So many great people participate in this forum and our community.  But there are way too many jerks as well.  Too bad as it has discouraged me from participating on-line or in-person.
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 12:01pm
Just FYI to folks interested in the fine print. This poll will end on next friday. All votes made by Aliases will be removed from the count. It will also not be treated as a simple majority wins. I am looking for a overwhelming concensus of people that want Aliases around. A few folks might re-call our last few polls in the same exact topic. It was overwhelming that people wanted Hugo and aliases. Apparently everyone has changed their minds on the subject which is fine, I think the conversation is more important than a simple vote, at least it would seem those willing to discuss the issue are more interested in the outcome than those who just want to toss in a quick vote.

I would personally say that this has more to do with post propaganda than post censorship myself.

And although my patience is running low on many accounts it is not due to E-haviour but rather the current condition of my shi shi gashira (rest in peace)
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by James

And although my patience is running low on many accounts it is not due to E-haviour but rather the current condition of my shi shi gashira (rest in peace)

say it aint so!  horrible news man horrible news
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 12:37pm
Slickhorn and others have made the point that while aliases make it easier for people to bait and attack people in ways that they most likely wouldn't if they weren't intentionally concealing their identities (much less if they were interacting with their targets in person), eliminating aliases won't necessarily eliminate baiting and personal attacks.

There are plenty of people out there who are more than happy to use their real name while doing all of the above, so in the end eliminating that behavior from a site is less about aliases and more about enforcing a set of standards that take the site in a direction that it's most frequent and influential users want it to go. If the objective is to get rid of people who are unneccessarily hostile and destructive, the answer is to give them the boot - whether they're signing in with their real name or an avatar.

The problem with online forums is that it's difficult to achieve a consensus about what's permissible and what's over the line without alienating more people than you attract. There seems to be a sweet spot that encourages participation and grows the resource without drifting into either complete anarchy or an over-moderated online church-meeting, both of which are proven forum-killers. Most forums have explicit or implicit standards for conduct that evolve over time and the site owner and/or moderators enforce with time-outs, bannings, IP-blocks for people who go too far and it may be time to consider putting those mechanisms in place here.

Since this is an open resource and often the only thing that you have control over is yourself - one potential way forward if you don't have the power to single-handedly overhaul the site is to "be the change you want to see." If you aren't an owner/developer/moderator really want to see a site go in a more positive direction, start by obeying the golden rule, and try to create the positive aspects of the site that you aren't seeing. If that doesn't work and you see something that you don't like, try sending them a civil PM first instead of immediately returning and/or opening fire in public.

(Finally - while I'm a big pro-free-speech guy myself, that's a set of rules that applies to interactions between the government and citizens. If someone walks into a house, office, club, online forum, etc and offend the people there, the folks that run those places have every right to toss them out.)
-Jay
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 1:09pm
I really don't care either way if the aliases stay or go myself.  Sure, they lack the balls to own up to their comments, but it seems to be a minority of people on this board that are obviously extremely passionate about it.  The vast majority just don't care that much and it's evident by the small number of votes on this post.  

I still don't buy the argument that people avoid this website because of what Hugo and SBAL post on here.   C'mon really??  Beginners and people asking sincere questions/posting good topics are never targeted by them.  A website like this is user-generated and it's only as good as what people bring to it.  Those that "avoid" it

Originally posted by slickhorn

When I'm in a meeting at work, or at thanksgiving dinner at grandma's, I don't drop f-bombs, bait people or otherwise act like an ass (as much as possible, anyway). And if I do, I can expect to be disciplined. 

It's no different here.

You don't think this website is any different than a meeting in a professional environment or dinner at grandma's house??

Originally posted by arnobarno

This has been a fascinating thread.

What is striking to me about Professor Paddle is that it is a public forum but it is much more like a private club.  Unlike other internet forums, most of the people on this site know each other in real life and often have boated together at one time or another.

Hey Arn,      I see what you're saying, but this shouldn't be like a private club imo.  I don't think it's accurate to say "most" people know each other.  And it's unfortunate that a larger base of paddlers don't share a bit more on here instead of just lurk.  I think some don't want to be homogenized into this greater "PP Community - Private Club" thing you just mentioned and Leif is so big on.  Am I making sense or just driveling here?  

Ok, back to work.   Happy Friday Y'all!
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by PowWrangler

Originally posted by slickhorn

It's no different here.

You don't think this website is any different than a meeting in a professional environment or dinner at grandma's house??

I was trying, inarticulately perhaps, to point out that "censorship" is not the right metric here, as some seem to be caught up by that idea.  My point was simply that in some settings, such as those I mentioned, what is socially acceptable is not a function of censorship or free speech, but rather manners and the culture at play in the event. 

JayB made my point more ably than I managed to:

Originally posted by JayB

(Finally - while I'm a big pro-free-speech guy myself, that's a set of rules that applies to interactions between the government and citizens. If someone walks into a house, office, club, online forum, etc and offend the people there, the folks that run those places have every right to toss them out.)

I just don't see anyone here advocating censorship, and I think Meghan's comparisons to 1984 were more than a little ridiculous.  People are risking their lives in Tehran right now where they face real censorship and opression.  Let's try not to relate people acting childishly in an online forum read by a small number people with something as serious as censorship or the right to speak freely.  People dying != people talking shit in a forum.
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version