Professor Paddle: My Breakdown Brokedown! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: My Breakdown Brokedown! Post Reply Post New Topic
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doggievacation Replybullet Topic: My Breakdown Brokedown!
    Posted: 18 May 2009 at 10:19am
I bought a new paddle this spring.  (On April 8th, to be exact.)  It's a Lendal 4-piece breakdown with a carbon fiber shaft and carbon fiber Fusion blades.  I've used it 11 river days so far and have liked it a lot.  Last Saturday (May 16th) I didn't like it so much.

It was on the Sauk.  I ran it Friday with Texas Dave, Arn, and Deborah, then camped locally so I could run it again Saturday on Gabe's PP-posted trip.  We were probably only 20 minutes into the (Saturday) run and I was just drifting down a shallow Class II riffle when my left blade bumped a submerged rock.  It was just a light "thunk" but I soon discovered that my left blade was now missing!

At first, I thought the cam lock had come loose and released, but what really happened is that the little stub of shaft glued into the neck of the blade came unglued!  See photo:  http://picasaweb.google.com/doggievacation/LendalPaddleComesUnglued#5337196133392158994

I blew my whistle to get everyone's attention and at least one person saw the blade when it momentarily fluttered up to the surface, but then it was gone for good. Fortunately, Wiggins had a spare break-down paddle with him (Thanks, Kyle!), so that's what I finished the run with.

I e-mailed Johnson Outdoors in Ferndale this morning (Johnson now owns Lendal, plus that's where I bought the paddle) so we'll see what they do.  I'm asking for a complete replacement (both blades) since there's a chance the other blade will also come unglued.  Please let me know if you've ever heard of a similar story.  (With Lendal or any other paddle manufacturer.)

Thx,
John
Don't waste water!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2009 at 11:27am
John,

Keep us updated on how the resolution turns out. Faulty equipment is a serious bummer but the way a company responds is pretty important.

James
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2009 at 7:40pm
If it doesn't work out with Lendal, I think this place caters to kayakers 

Why can't I insert a picture that's larger than thumbnail size?

Dave
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2009 at 9:16pm
I was running the Upper Wind River once when friend had this happen to his paddle.  I think it was a WaveDog paddle... sweet wood paddle with plastic blades.  Class II water has a way of snatching your paddle on shallow rocks.  My friend got his caught on a rock in a playspot.....full replacement. 

Lendle makes a sweet product.  A little too expen$ive for me as a backup... or any other time.   Can't imagine one coming unglued....  that sucks. 

Kirk
Kirk B
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:58pm
I guess today is my deal for dealing with returned gear:

First, the Lendal brokedown... no word from Johnson Outdoors about why the glue failed, but they will replace the blades for me (both of them) and I hope to pick them up next week.  Good on J.O.

Second, I called Werner about returning a 4-piece Rio paddle I've had laying around for some time.  This paddle was recalled due to some problem with the nylon blades failing to fit well on the fiberglass shaft.  Werner is replacing the blades only, not the shaft.  I do like the way Werner sends you a UPS shipping number (charged back to them) so you don't have to pay for shipping or drive to the shop.  Good on Werner.

Third, I sent an old (and I do mean old) pair of Black Mamba Pogies back to NRS and they are shipping me a new pair under warranty.  I've had these pogies for almost ten years and have re-sewn the Velcro back on them at least three times during that period.  When the Velcro started ripping off again this spring, I said to fuck it! I'm tired of dealing with something that wasn't made properly to begin with.  So instead of just going out and buying a new pair, I got pissed and asked for a replacement.  Good on NRS for mollifying with a cheap ass Scotsman!

So... three pitches and three home runs.  I am really happy that so many kayak gear manufacturers stand by their products.  I wish I could say the same about other corporations I've had to deal with in the past about defective goods or failed services, but this is a start.

John

Don't waste water!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:01pm
Good on it .. aeh

Till the next inning !
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:06pm
You are gonna be really happy with the Werner, I know I am.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:26pm
Sorry-- I know this is negative, but I can't resist--
Wave Dogs are LAME. Why would anyone want to paddle with such a clumsy blade design?

It's like reinventing the wheel: "I know! I'll try using a square instead of a circle!"
Blades are supposed to slip into the water. That's why they are THIN and SMOOTH.
What a waste of good wood. The fact that people are willing to even consider using them makes me laugh. Be as open minded as you want, but why would you want a climbing harness made out of LEAD? Maybe someone should see if there's a benifit to lifejackets made out of lead. Or spray skirts made out of fishing nets-"hey it'll keep you in the boat and it won't implode!"

Oh this world gets sillier everyday!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:32pm
Just curious- are you using the 4 piece as a 'primary' paddle?
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:46pm
I bought the Werner Rio 4-piece as a back-up/spare several summers ago.  When I heard that Werner recalled them (last fall) I quit bringing it along on river trips... but I was too lazy to contact Werner and get it replaced until now.

I bought the Lendal 4-piece thinking that I'd try it out as a primary paddle and, if I wasn't thrilled with it, then I'd keep it as a travel paddle.  The other reason I bought it  was because I was changing feathers from 60 to either 45 or 30.  Since the feather angle is adjustable on Lendals, this was another big bonus.  As it turns out, I like the Lendal a lot and will continue to use it as my primary paddle.  (Once I get the replacement blades.)

I'm not down on Werner paddles in any way.  They're good, well-made paddles and they're a hell of a lot lighter than Lendals.

John
Don't waste water!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:10pm
I used a wavedog... and quiet honestly wetmouse (saltydog today) you would have never known what they were like if you did not get some first hand experience with it. A photo doesn't give enough detail to judge.

So don't hate on the folks that try something new out of curiousity. Its an all wood paddle with rhino lining on the blades. Does it suck, Yes, do they break easy, Yes. But cmon dood ... I was just trying it out !!!!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:29pm
Not ripping on you-although I did notice how that implication was there. Sorry. And no, I don't need to try it. I only have to see it and touch it to know, and to say-"no thanks".
Call me an Elitist Ass! at least I know the latter half is true!

Like I said- square wheels and lead lifejackets don't function well. Why would a blade that is 1" thick and crusty and rough like P-Nuttle perform well?

Oops-what am I doin? Dissing the P-nuttle is dangerous ground! I take that one back! But you gotta admit-those blades are like the texture of P-Nuttle, just a different color. Maybe that's why you were initially attracted to it?

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:47pm
I was attracted to it because I like wood paddles and the photos don't show the blade thickness that well. ... man your really in a ripper mood today mr salty

Now you know as well as I do that peanuttle is my weakness so lets leave that out of any reference to wavedog. Other than the simple statement ... salty nuts.

Mmm Kay
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:50pm
Ok. I'm standing down.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:53pm
Reason why I asked the question is that I'm under the impression that single models or units are far more durable than the four piece options that do exist.  Yes, I do realize that Lendals are indeed 'the' 4pce paddle and have the advantage that they travel easily, but question whether they would stand-up to abuse through prolonged use, as opposed to a single shaft unit.  Not really sure though, just raising a question....    
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 5:08pm
My bet is on Werner. Stored in a drybag of course, but we've had this discussion. I'd rather have a paddle that performs reasonably well than one that is easier to pack. So, no plastic blades for me, because $ isn't as big of a factor once you're already in a comitted situation.

my 2 cents, and it only added up to 3 instead of 30!
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 6:01pm
I have both a Lendal and a Werner.  The Werner is a bent-shaft Stikine.  The Lendal is a 4-piece carbon bent shaft with carbon composite blade (same blade that John had on his "unglued" paddle).  The *ONLY* reason I bought the Lendal paddle was after an airline luggage belt decided to snap my Werner paddle in half (luckily, the airline replaced it).  If I had to choose one for paddling and travel was not a consideration, the Werner wins for me.

Having said that, here are some specifics.  Remember, this is all just one lousy boater's opinion.  Both paddles feel stiff and responsive.  I actually like the catch of the Lendal blade slightly more than the Werner blade though occasionally find that it flutters a bit if I'm not careful with my blade placement.  The Werner paddle is significantly lighter and you feel less tired after paddling all day.  The Lendal paddle has a finger board that provides better positive indexing than the Werner.  The Lendal paddle is far superior for travel.  Not just because of the issue of airline breakage but also for hopping in other forms of public transit, etc.

If I had a complaint about the Lendal paddle, it would be that the design of the bent shaft Lendal paddle forces a bit of a compromise on how I grip the paddle.  If you want to grab the sweet spot of the bend of the paddle, it is offset towards the center of the shaft by a couple of inches.  Instead, to maintain a "paddler's box" geometry, I have to grab the shaft practically on the bend.  Of course, I could get a somewhat longer shaft but that would involve a different compromise.  Paddlers that are under my height (6'2") using a 197cm paddle might not have as much of a compromise.  More than the weight or stiffness, this is my biggest complaint about the Lendal paddle and the one that relegates the Lendal paddle to "travel only" for me.

Edited by arnobarno - 19 May 2009 at 8:43pm
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 7:34pm
Yeah, I agree that Werner's bent shaft design is superior to Lendal's.  When I was considering what to buy for a primary paddle, I decided that if I wanted to switch to a bent shaft, Werner was the way to go.  However, I ultimately decided that a straight shaft works well for me, so I chose the Lendal as my primary paddle (for all the reasons stated above.)
Don't waste water!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version