Professor Paddle: Longboats Rule!!! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Longboats Rule!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Topic: Longboats Rule!!!
    Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:00am
Here's a little website I came across with a lot of good info about longboats and paddling technique.

http://longboater.net

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:03am
Yes they do!  With the release of our DragoRossi Reaction, I have come to enjoy low key paddling!

Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:11am
Shameless plug?

The reaction looks like a good boat, but there is no need to spend $1000 on a 20 year old design. Check out craigslist, but do your homework. There are a lot of shitty longboats out there. If i was going to buy a new boat, I'd go with the Green Boat.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:17am
This is Hilarius!!! When I started boating 20 years ago, John Almquist sold me a 12 foot long Corsica. That was a standard boat back then, now the standard boats are back and it is like something new and they are called long boats? When I got my overflow at 10 feet long that was considered one of the smallest boats out there at the time. Long boats? funny stuff...
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:20am
It's like surfer lingo dude. Like lets get in the long boats and backdoor some gnarly tubes dude!!!
Nomad
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:58am

Very Well... The reasoning at the factory was to get something to the team races in Europe to reposnd to the longer boat designs being raced, without spending $30k in D&D.  It was never intended to be a retail boat, but its popularity and demand grew so rapid, they had no choice.  And your not paying $1000 for 20 year old plastic, outfitting, warranty, import, duties, customs, shipping, exchange rate, etc.  One thing is certain, we have very very small margins in the states because the Euro kicks our butt, but we keep the cost as low as possible and do this for the love of the designs and the sport, not to get rich.

If we did it the standard route, retail in stores, we would be at 1200-1600 per boat and that is crazy.  The same thing happens to an extent when US companies sell in Europe. 

I agree, there are tons of good old long boats to be found on the net, and the Green Boat has some wonderful attributes. paddle what you wish, just paddle.... Shameless Plug??? -- always
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:44pm
I'm liking that Reaction.... cool looking design. 
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:59pm
I miss my old overflow, I donated it to UPS, that would have been a fun creekboat!
Nomad
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 9:51pm
I didn't think anybody but me and JP still cared about longboats. Here's to boats over 10 ft. long.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 11:25am
 Longboats!! That site looks cool-have to check it out when I have more time.

yeah, it amuses me when people refer to the Diablo as a "longboat". It totally ISN'T a true longboat. It's slightly over 9', making it only slightly longer than the longer creekboats.

My personal criteria for a longboat (in modern terms) would be as Jed says: Boats over 10' at least.

But as the site states: Boofing in a longboat is way more fun. Creekboats are said to "Autoboof"- a claim I still find dubious. What they really do is SLUFF at the boof unless you are running a huge waterfall or other large verticle drop. It's really the river that's providing the "autoboof" more often than not. Dispute me all you want, shortboaters, but unless you've paddled a longer boat, you really have no way of knowing the difference.

When "Flatriver Paddling", such as on the Sky or any other runs with low gradient, longboats can get hangtime in the air from appropriately shaped 3' high pourovers. Simply not possible with shorter boats.

I loved the Corsica S, but the Corsica Overslow always looked like a weird shape to me. I knew lots of class V paddlers at the time, though who liked it.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 11:28am
The Reaction Looks like it has nice lines and planes on it. I agree with ThrowYaMitts, though-- I'd rather get the 21st century design of the Greenboat, (it has a nice blend of longboat/creekboat attributes) if I were to buy one new.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 11:30am
Originally posted by dragorossinw

Yes they do!  With the release of our DragoRossi Reaction, I have come to enjoy low key paddling!

Low key paddling? Paddling longboats can be low key-- yes they are better for flat water or class II due to their hull speed- But to really fall in love with Long boat designs, you need to DROP THE HAMMER in whitewater and bust some dynamic moves, "Dude". <<that was for you Dave, you joker!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:33pm
 Just had a chance to check out the "Why Longboats Kick Ass!" section of his site--  it's like he took the words right out of my mouth. Every point he made is right on.

I'm inspired. Not surprised he's from the east, though.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version