Professor Paddle: Green River Cleanup vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: Green River Cleanup - Event Date: 02 May 2009 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fish Replybullet Calendar Event: Green River Cleanup
    Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 9:39am
THE 24TH ANNUAL GREEN RIVER CLEANUP
IS SET FOR May 2, 2009!

Boaters grab your boats and gear!  On Saturday, May 2, we expect to see a river alive with kayaks, rafts, canoes, inflatable kayaks, and cat-rafts.  We want boaters on every reach of the Green River -- from Headworks to Whitney Bridge -- and perhaps even farther downstream, with sea-kayaks on the Duwamish.

The biggest, oldest, best river cleanup in Washington State needs your help to make this year's Green River Cleanup the best ever.
The Green River Cleanup is organized by primary sponsors Washington Recreational River Runners (WRRR) and Friends of the Green River (FOG).  Other sponsors include: Middle Green River Coalition, Washington Kayak Club, Paddle Trails Canoe Club, University Kayak Club, Mountaineers, BEWET, American Whitewater, Sierra Club, Green-Duwamish Watershed Alliance and Washington State Parks, King County, and more.

Boaters:  You'll stop to pick up trash along the shores and haul it down to Flaming Geyser State Park.  If you have a small boat, you may leave trash onshore by an eddy where a raft can stop to pick it up.  If you boat downstream from Flaming Geyser and need to leave trash by the road, let us know to arrange for a pickup.

Non-Boaters: Come to Flaming Geyser and help with activities there or join a ground crew.  Ground crews need gloves, long sleeves, sturdy boots with non-slip treads, and rakes or sticks to pull trash out of the blackberries.

Registration: 9:00 - noon at Flaming Geyser, Picnic Shelter #3, or Kanaskat-Palmer State Park.  Sign-in and trash bags at either park.

After boating and picking up trash, join the fun at Flaming Geyser!  FOOD!  There'll be a picnic-barbecue at the Flaming Geyser Lodge.  As usual it's a fundraiser for Friends of the Green River with a suggested donation of $10. There are also rumors of beer being available (inside the Lodge only). 
ENTERTAINMENT!  There'll also be a program with videos of the Green River and more. 
MUSIC!  Live music by Casey Garland and friends will also be part of the program. 
INFORMATION!  Copies of the Recreational Flow Study done for Friends of the Green River as part of the Tacoma-FOG Pipeline 5 Agreement. There'll be other information about the history of the Green River Cleanup and other important issues for the Green.

CAMPFIRE, CAMPOUT, DUTCH OVEN COOK-OFF, PRIZES!  If you're up for more fun and river stories join WRRR at the Kanaskat-Palmer Group Campground for an hour around the campfire or to spend the night in tent or Adirondack shelter.

INFO: Pat Sumption, 206-525-1708, patsump@juno. com
    Paul Sestak, 253- 631-6320, fridayboatclub@ hotmail.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 4:33pm
Here is a crazy idea. We put in at the headworks, run the upper and lower section with WW boats past the Flaming G park, takeout at the lower bridge, then get back in with sea kayaks and run all the way to the sound. That would be epic...
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 4:49pm
Well, maybe not, Thats about 35 miles from flaming g to the sound. After the upper section WW it may be a bit much to paddle all that way.
Nomad
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 10:07am
One week to go!!!!

Come on everyone! Make time in your schedule to show some love for this stellar river!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 10:26am
Reminder to all you kayakers:

You don't have to haul trash out in your kayak! Just bring trash bags with you, pick up trash somewhere along the river and leave the bag in an obvious spot.

Us rafters will be pushing the garbage scows down the river and will pick it up for you.

See you there!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 1:35pm
As much as I could go run something else this weekend, I'm considering going to the cleanup! who wants to egg me on and meet up with me out there?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
NOMADIC WORLD
Paddler
Paddler

Quote NOMADIC WORLD Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 1:50pm
Does anyone know if there are plans to release some water this weekend, or are we just counting on the weather to deliver another release.
In The Business of Doing Things.
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 1:53pm
Howard Hansen Dam will be releasing additional water  Saturday morning for the Green River Cleanup.    We are expecting flows to be between 1300-1500 cfs.
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 2:19pm
Dude!  We could use a safety kayaker for the Wild and Scenic Institute.  Your only duties will be on the river.  We got a group of special kids from the inner city to take down in a couple of rafts and could use the support!  PM or give me a call!!
Franz
MORE RAIN PLEASE
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 2:20pm
You may want to clarify "safety" kayaker.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 4:44pm
There's no history of additional flow being granted for the cleanup in the past.  Maybe it happens, but I wouldn't count on it.  Every year I hear "they will give extra water" and so far it has not happened to my knowledge.

Typical behavior for the dam operators is to spill inflow minus whatever they are capturing.  Maybe we get lucky and get all of inflow spilled, which should be greater than 1000 based on weather models. 

The targets for refill are for a pause starting Tuesday at 1147' I think, meaning inflow will be spilled.  They are well on pace to achieve that, which makes me optimistic that we might see inflow passed for the weekend.  1500, however, is not likely.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2009 at 11:23am
well, I'll be damned. we didn't quite get 1500, but we did have a solid 1400 and good weather. best turnout I've ever seen for the cleanup -- hope everyone had as much fun as I did.
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 9:14am
Sure was nice of those Dam operators to release that extra water...  
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 10:09am
Oh and an extra shout out too ???Joe and Ramsey????

I'm not sure if I am mistaken on the names, but during the cleanup there was a pretty wacky pile up in the right hand pool at the Nozzle. Yea... The bad one. Rafters/Paddlers from far and wide, maybe 30 or so sat and watched as two full rafts bobbled around in the sieved out pool with people at one point dangling over the edges of the rafts trying to get back in... clutching the chicken line for dear life.... A healthy amount of time went by with not a single effort to assist, by the time I made it back up river he had already roped out one boat and still he was the only one helping. We got the second boat out and despite several offers for beer there was never a throw bag offer...

I believe Joe lost his throw bag in the rescue and it was a worthy gift to that set of young laxidazical guides. I think we should all pitch in and get him a new one myself and I will put the first 10 bucks in the pot. So post here with your offer and then drop off the cash at Aquasports so we can replace his bag.

Thanks again for the great day out there, and nice work Joe. Were glad to have you in our area!!!
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 12:28pm
Fish, do you know if it was extra water?  Just curious if you have any first-hand info for that?  I agree it was about the most generous ACE has been in terms of how they model inflow from which they determine the release level.  From what I understand though, "extra water" is a political no-no.  In other words, if it had been cold and inflow over the weekend stayed in the 900 - 1100 range, we wouldn't have had these flows. 

Regardless, great flows.  It was a treat, I got to take my dad down for his first trip through the gorge, and he absolutely loved it.  Hoping I get him in his own boat to row it next time. 
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 12:29pm
James,

Marie says several folks offered ropes to the Alpine crew, and they all refused.  There's a thread at the WRRR board talking about the event.  Sounds to me like the whole thing is pretty squarely on the guides. [EDIT: no it isn't on the guides -- it was not the Alpine crew in distress.  my bad.]

I'll kick in for a rope for Joe too -- post details when arrangements are made?

-b

Edited by slickhorn - 04 May 2009 at 1:12pm
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 12:35pm
You saw when I cruised down, so I could have missed seeing previous attempts to help. I did not see any other than Joes, but there could have been plenty before hand. Regardless those guides should be back in training, or maybe reading up on that spot.

Again big props to Joe and thanks to anyone else that wants to help replace his bag. I will post up the details once I have nailed down enough people to make it happen. PM me if your in.

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 12:43pm
There are now two rope bags stuck on both sides of the nozzle underwater. I saw both of them sink into the darkness. hope they don't tangle around a swimmer some day.

I tried to pull one out, but was unable to get a good grip on it from my kayak.

Edited by dave - 04 May 2009 at 12:45pm
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by James

A healthy amount of time went by with not a single effort to assist, by the time I made it back up river he had already roped out one boat and still he was the only one helping. We got the second boat out and despite several offers for beer there was never a throw bag offer...

Just an FYI, I was helping the whole time by sitting the eddy below in position to rescue kayak any possible survivors. If something like that happens and there is kayakers around, at least one or two kayakers should remain in their boats to be ready to assist swimmers.

What blew me away was the fact that there was around 5 or six rafts that were doing nothing to help but just sitting on the rocks eating lunch. They could have been throwing rope or something. Nobody helped until more kayaking reinforcements showed up. Then James and Joe put themselves into harms way to rescue the rafters.
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 12:58pm
No actually Mike Harms was no where around...

I don't even think he showed up for the cleanup, he was probably out on the sky.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 1:00pm
?
Nomad
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 1:03pm
From the details emerging over at WRRR, the problem was not with Alpine, so I'd like to first clarify that it was not a commercial group that had or caused the problems. 

It also is apparent that help was repeatedly offered and refused -- so, while it's true a lot of folks were not actively involved, it wasn't from negligence.  A group had stopped to have lunch there, so were already in spectator mode, so to speak. 

Regardless, thanks to everyone for lending a hand and being on your toes.  Hate to contemplate anyone swimming that right slot.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2009 at 1:16pm
That reminds me of the New Yorkers that don't help people because they don't want to get involved (like that episode of Seinfeld). So now they have a law in New York that you have to help people if you see something going down.
Nomad
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

Fish, do you know if it was extra water?  Just curious if you have any first-hand info for that?  I agree it was about the most generous ACE has been in terms of how they model inflow from which they determine the release level.  From what I understand though, "extra water" is a political no-no.  In other words, if it had been cold and inflow over the weekend stayed in the 900 - 1100 range, we wouldn't have had these flows. 

Regardless, great flows.  It was a treat, I got to take my dad down for his first trip through the gorge, and he absolutely loved it.  Hoping I get him in his own boat to row it next time. 

Brian, they did not release anything over inflow, but they did stop capturing. They had been holding back 300-400 cfs of inflow prior to Friday afternoon to fill the reservoir, and then the flow was adjusted basically to match inflow. Saturday inflow was around 1400 and that's what we got... which was nice.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2009 at 6:27pm
TWENTY-FOURTH GREEN RIVER CLEANUP, 2009: RECAP

THANK YOU PARTY FOR CLEANUP PARTICIPANTS
MAY 30,2009 3:00 – 7:00 PM  
AT FLAMING GEYSER STATE PARK, PICNIC SHELTER #3

Here’s a great big “Thank You” to participants -- especially all the boaters -- who came out to take care of the Green River on May 2.  Friends of the Green River wants to show you how much we appreciate all your good work for the Green.  

So come boat the Green River on May 30, 2009 if the flow suits you. Then you are invited to celebrate with a big “thank you” barbecue and picnic by Friends of the Green River at Flaming Geyser State Park.  We’ll have the usual hot dogs, hamburgers, vegie burgers, pizza, and all the trimmings.  

This will be Friends of the Green River’s “Annual Meeting” so there will be a sign-in sheet for you to put your name on as a Green River friend.  We didn’t have a sign-in sheet at the Cleanup this year because everything was chaos at the Lodge and no picnic at the picnic shelter.  You can join Friends of the Green River by signing in, and you can make a donation of $1 or more if you like.  The only business of our Annual Meeting is to elect Friends of the Green’s board members for the next year, if you choose to be a member and choose to put a few X’s on a ballot.  Additionally, if people want to talk about this year’s Cleanup, we might do a little chatting about that topic.

Please come and bring your friends to help us eat a lot of good food and a little good conservation.  If the river is not at a good level, the party goes on, unless you hear differently.

For further info: Pat Sumption, 206-525-1708,  patsump@juno.com
           Jay Cohen, 206-334-0850

Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version