Professor Paddle: baloney vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: baloney Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Online Status: Offline
  Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by wetmouse

As much as I (seem to) like getting worked up about this stuff, I actually see both sides. Yeah, there could be wood in the Final 5 that wasn't there a week ago.
But I've been there and you do have to pretty much tresspass to portage. And like it or not, our country has very convoluted and wacky laws and litiguous tendencies. I don't like this specific situation down there, but it is what it is. I also can see the property owner's side, even if I agree with your sentiments, Franz, about goodwill and all that.

The rub for me is that if you read the guidebook description of this run, Bennett warns about this very scenerio, so it's not a new one. YET I KNOW that there are a lot of complacent, inconsiderate kayakers among us. SORRY for telling it how it is. They want to take a bunch of stupid photos and make a bunch of noise, DRAG their boats because they aren't man enough, woman enoufgh, or considerate enough to carry them, ect. So many people stuff 10-12 person groups down creeks barely big enough to accomadate 4 or 5. Large groups exponentially increase impact in forests and exponetially increase noise, and the duration of their passing.

There's NO EXCUSE for running Copper Creek and claiming that you were unaware of
the private property owner's issues there. Part of me wnats to say F%*# it and agree with OLY on this one. SUCK IT UP, punk. or find another creek to run. There are plenty
from Hood River to Squamish, from La Push to Wenatchee. If you really want that run, maybe you should plan on running the final 5. (in full disclosure, I portaged when I was there, and I do stop short of actually wanting to defend the "suck it up" stance) There's a waterfall or two upstream, but the rest is rather ordinary. Plenty of better runs elsewhere. Why do kayakers feel THEY have some entitlement to tromp through private property to "run" whatever they want?

To close, I don't fully agree with the "suck it up" attitude, but then, I do see all sides. If you must go in there, go in small groups, be VERY quiet, maybe camo yourself, and just keep it on the downlow. Or better yet, "suck it up"! No one's forcing you to go in there, and there's plenty of paddling everywhere else.

Well said JP.  I don't mean to be too harsh on property owners and not on kayakers.  I will personally never run Copper Creek because I won't know if I will be up for running the Final 5 and I don't want anything to do with that area. 

If more kayakers took my approach and no one ever boated the Copper Creek, I bet we would make a lot of property owners down there very happy.  Good for them!  May they enjoy their beautiful property and never allow anyone on their land!  May never a kayaker spoil their peace or mar the landscape that God has given them the right to OWN.  I hope their land never gets significantly damaged by anyone including mother nature.....

May they rest well knowing that they owned that land and saw to it that no one ever sued them for getting hurt there while they protected it from the crazy kayakers who would have done all kinds of significant damage to the area....

MORE RAIN PLEASE
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
windwaves
Paddler
Paddler

Quote windwaves Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 3:22pm
< ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><>

Interesting....
I grew up on a farm in Eastern Washington.  Hunting season would bring throngs of armed out-of-towners who thought because they enjoyed hunting, they were entitled to march around wherever they wanted without permission and without regard to the damage they were causing.  The fact they were tearing up the crops (a.k.a. my family's paycheck) was irrelevant to them.. because they were recreating!!  Many were less respectful leaving trash vehicle damage.

When my father would confront them (the folks from the "city" were usually the problem), he would usually ask if they thought it would be OK for us to come drive up on their lawn in Seattle, have a picnic in their yard and leave the trash... maybe take a dump on the porch?

On the other hand, I don't remember him ever saying "no" to someone who showed the courtesy of stopping to ask and checking where they could go without causing a problem before they assumed it was fine to use his land.

Point is, as others have said, a little human courtesy goes a long way.  Ask first if you can, explain what you are doing, and try to abide by the landowner's wishes.  If you unexpectedly have to trespass to portage and get caught, don't be an a-hole.  Explain the situation and apologize.

Be proactive by picking up some trash so that landowners don't see kayakers as part of the problem.  Maybe you are not the problem, but I’m sure between the tweakers, the poachers, the party and trash crowd, etc… most landowners are are fed up with the ones that are.

The mess at some of the public assess sites is sad.  Even if it’s not private land, it really doesn’t hurt to stay on the good side of the locals.  It might just protect the next “sunset falls”.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 5:17pm
Franz, I really do agree with the SPIRIT of what you're saying. Maybe I'm just being a realist in this particular case. I won't rehash what I've said, and you know I consider you a brother an all.

Windwaves somehow managed to conjure up my own childhood memories: In between weekends of kayaking that were often too brief, I'd be at my house, which happened to be right immediately adjacent to a GOLF COURSE. I'm not about to knock golfers or peopl who like golf, but there were the bad apples of that group that negatively impacted our life there.

We had several windows broken by golf balls. We also probably had a few people own up to what they did, but those few examples are overshadowed by the majority who never appologized or came to compensate us. Golfers were always tromping through our property to recover their golf balls, and some had the audacity to try to "play through". Needless to say it got old quick. Now that these memories are flooding back, I'm suddenly faced with the irony of being TEMPTED to side even more with the Copper Crk prop. owner.

One time (I was a pretty scrawny kid when I was 14 or 15) I told some golfers to leave my yard. He stood his ground in defiance and pulled the "why don't you come over here and make me" routine. Unfortunately for him, Big Brother came storming out of the house after him with his Championship-caliber-workout-training-on-slalom-gates
torso, fists clenched. The Guy litterally ran off, so did his friend. This wasn't the only such incident either.

The world is a messy place, and sometimes it just is what it is.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 6:46pm
I like your conversations JP!  You are on eof the few who isn't afraid to say what you mean!

Ive had my land tresspassed upon to when I was a kid.  My land did not border a popular river stretch or a golf course but we had some game that people thought they could come after.

One time the neighbor who always posted his land was caught on our farmer friend's land hunting.  He would post his own land and not give anyone permission to hunt there and then he'd hunt with no permission on the farmer's land.

I understand that there are jerks from every corner of the world.  My point I was trying to make that got glossed over is the attitude of "suck it up and run it".  I want to boat with people who support me whether I'm up for a drop or not.  I hate boating with people who think stepping up your game needs to be getting trashed.  Fish is a perfect example of of the people's I like to boat with.  He pushes me to up my game but if I'm not up for something he's cool with that too.  Example:  Big Brother.  I chickened out with him on our first run down the Truss but he didn't try to make me feel like a pussy for it. 

This guy was implying that you're being a wimp if your not running the Final 5.  Any number of circumstances could force the BEST kayakers to get to that drop and want to portage.  If they feel they can't make a quick portage because they might be imposing on someone's land and they run the said drop and get hurt then who's to blame?  No one I guess but you see the whole situation could have been avoided had the LAND OWNER realized that there are good and asshole kayakers just like anywhere with any group (ie golfers) and that in this case letting one bad guy ruin it for the rest of em could result in someone's getting hurt bad.   Again, the landowner knows that he lives near a dangerous drop and should expect certain things. 

Maybe an olive branch could be extended by the landowner beings that he should expect kayakers trying to portage using his land while the kayakers shouldn't expect that they will be tresspassing when they are doing so just to portage a dangerous drop.

IN ANY CASE IT IS ALWAYS OK TO PORTAGE A DROP THAT YOU ARE NOT READY TO RUN EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO TRESSPASS...JUST TRY TO BE A GOOD KAYAKER WHEN YOU DO IT!  MAYBE YOU'LL MEET A GOOD LAND OWNER WHO WON'T MIND THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE JUST AVOIDED A CATASTROPHE!!

I'm sorry that my view on this is warped having seen a murder over property lines and rights next to a river......

MORE RAIN PLEASE
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 6:47pm
These kind of posts happen when I'm waiting for a sample to finish on my machine.  They get longer as my machines take longer for my samples!!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version