Professor Paddle: Breakdowns vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Breakdowns Post Reply Post New Topic
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ryan Replybullet Topic: Breakdowns
    Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:12pm
I'm looking for a breakdown paddle and am curious what others think of the few on the market.

Lendal's I'm sure are the best but are too expensive for me.

Werner 4 piece w/fiberglass blades.  $290

Aquabound 4 piece. $130

The Aquabound sounds like the best deal.  Anyone have personal experience with them?  Anyone break one?

I used a Werner Rio (i think)... the plastic version of the Werner breakdown that they took off the market... and it was pretty crappy but got me down the river.  I'd guess the Rio is similar to the Aquabound.

Anyways, I know the Werner is the best option but at twice the cost is it worth it?

I NEED a new creek boat soon and WANT a new playboat so I'm trying to save where I can.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:24pm
Aquabound sucks.  That is all.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:28pm
Look at Lendal's Emergency Paddle. They bumped up there prices this year to $210, but you can still find them at the old price of $175. They are 197-210 cm, have a fiberglass shaft, and plastic reinforced plastic blades. They are half a pound heavier than the Werner break down, but are easily equal in quality.

If you contact Johnson Outdoors in Ferndale they might sell you one at they sale price they had this weekend of $130.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:30pm
please expand Leif.  Do you have an Aquabound? 

Does it suck so bad to spend twice as much?  I can't seem to justify $300 for a breakdown unless the Aquabound breaks in class II.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:42pm
I had an Auqabound breakdown and broke it paddling normally. They are cheap, but will work adequitly as an emergency paddle. Nothing more though and treat it gently...
Nomad
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 6:58pm
I've got the plastic Rio.  It's kinda crappy, but great for an emergency breakdown.

I got it for about $150 new and I wouldn't want to spend much more than that on a paddle that I may never use.

My $0.02

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 7:15pm
It does no good when you need a breakdown to have one that breaks.  I've seen this with Aquabound, and frankly, they make a substandard product in every way, but you do get what you pay for.  What price can you put on safety?  Would you buy the cheap PFD; the cheap throw bag?
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 7:20pm
It does no good when you need a breakdown to have one that breaks.  I've seen this with Aquabound, and frankly, they make a substandard product in every way, but you do get what you pay for.  What price can you put on safety?  Would you buy the cheap PFD; the cheap throw bag?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 7:39pm

Yeah get the werner, would be my advice. For me personally if I break a paddle, usually It'll be in some harsh environment, where the performance and sturdiness of any paddle matter. I wouldn't go so far as to say you can't put a price on that, but it's certainly worth an extra hundered or two if it'll get you the rest of the way through the trip without greatly sacrificing performance, and the comfort of hitting your lines in a reliable manner because your breakdown is a real paddle, instead of some spongey piece od plastic. But 4pc is the way to go for sure, then store it sealed & dry to keep sand and feign matter from getting on it. 2pc units don't often fit in the back of my boat.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 7:50pm
To be clear, I have seen Aquabound breakdown paddles break on two occasions.  Additionally, all their paddles feel like wet noodles.
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by wetmouse

... store it sealed & dry to keep sand and feign matter from getting on it....

Excellent advice.  The one time I needed my breakdown, I had the hardest time putting it together because of all the sand that had screwed up the joints.

Dan
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 11:10pm
What dry bag do you use for the breakdown?
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 12:42am
If your still using the Rio, I sent mine back to werner and they replaced the blades.
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 10:54am
I have had both paddles and I am actually in the market to buy one or the other again.  The Werner 4pc with the fiberglass blades is by far superior in every aspect but it is twice the price.  How much do you actually use your breakdown?  That question lead me to buy the Aquabound 4pc Shred (I think) and for the amount that I used that one it was great but if I had to paddle solid Class V with it I would be nervous.  So if you are running big drops and there is an increased risk of a broken paddle or risk of having to run stout rapids with a breakdown I would say get the Werner.  I think I will bite the bullet and buy the Werner 4pc Player or Sherpa.

H2Ohta
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 5:41pm
Yup. For me personally, I'm likely to lose or break mine in class V water. I'd want comparable performance to remain comfortable after such an incident, because if said incident is bad enough to break or lose a paddle, it might be enough ro rattle my confidence and spook me. Having a decent paddle to use afterward would at least minimize any potential head games that might bounce around in my brain.

And, if my limits were in class IV water, I'd likely feel the same way. I am who I am and my temperment is what it is. I'd forget all about weather I saved an extra hundered bucks or not. It would be all about getting through the run and having an enjoyable day.

On class three,  fluke things can happen. But if you're breaking paddles on class III water you need to take a hard look at your technique, and go back to the fundementals. If you lose paddles on class III, you need to look at who you are paddling with. Competant class III paddlers should be able to chase down a paddle in class III water. Still, fluke things happen, and black carbon fiber werners are hard to see. (My only complaint about them )

Werner 4pc!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by justin

If your still using the Rio, I sent mine back to werner and they replaced the blades.

Why did they replace the blades?  Was there some recall or something?

Dan
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 10:45pm
Hand paddles are always an option. Light, compact, they don't break and easy to store in your kayak.
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 10:47pm
Yep, a while back there was a recall.
dcell
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote dcell Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 7:51am
Is it practical for you guys to use a 2-piece paddle as a spare? (I'm an IKer, so I have the room for one.) I use 2-piece Werner paddles as my main paddles, and they work great, so if you can stow it, that would seem to be a good deal.

I've had the same experience with plastic-bladed paddles breaking. Also, keep in mind that a 4-piece paddle takes some work to put together. A few years ago, I was in a situation where I dropped a paddle while going into a rapid, and I needed to get my spare put together so I could get to it. I ended up dropping one of the shaft pieces in the water and couldn't see it. I had to canoe paddle and I never did find the shaft. I really should get reflective tape for those black paddle shafts...
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 5:03pm
I tried out my Lendal Emergency Paddle yesterday on a lake. My impressions are that it is very solid, and gave me at least as much power, if not more, than my Werner Shogun. It felt great as a river running paddle, but it felt a bit akward when I tried to use it to cartwheel. I think this was from the extra length and weight (I have the 210 cm paddle).

Kyle
I smell bacon
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version