Professor Paddle: River / Run & Feature Maps vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: River / Run & Feature Maps Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: River / Run & Feature Maps
    Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 10:05am
This is just an FYI for everyone out there that is wondering about the mapping tools.

There are three different types of maps right now that I have built with the GMap API. In the near future they will be combined onto one mapplet for for ease and trouble shooting they are together right now.

1. The River Map - This map allows you to cruise around to find runs. Once you find a run you click the take out or the put in and it will allow you to select the The Run Map. Rivers that show up on this map are only the ones with GPS coordinates. Many runs in our database do not show up although we have beta etc... This is because we have no GPS coords for the putin or take out. * Only one set of Coords is required to get it on the Map *

2. The Run Map - Each River that has coords listed has a run map. This map shows all of the features that have coords on the run in the place they are located. Each feature is clickable and allows you to visit that features beta page or just keep cruising the map.

3. Features Map - This map allows you to cruise the state map like the River Map just viewing individual features that are listed on rivers. Find that wicked rapid you want to run or that sweet playspot you want to park at.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 10:22am
That kicks ass!
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 10:40am
I was playing around with that last night - awesome maps! I know how much whitewater there is around here but when I zoomed out to see the whole state it kinda blew my mind to see all the runs. Very cool.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
windwaves
Paddler
Paddler

Quote windwaves Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 12:20pm
James,
Very very cool.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 3:12pm
I am glad you guys like it. It will get a bit more fluid and better with more work.

The real effort is getting those GPS coordinates which is what took me the most time. Driving around and taking data when I was in the areas. If you have a GPS unit be sure to lend the data ... it will be in good use!!!!

My goal is to have this be a tool accurate enough that it is useful for planning trips and finding other spots to visit while in the area. The next update will have a photo tool and a combination of all the maps into one.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 12:47pm
very helpful tool. Helps put locations to names of rivers, especially on the peninsula.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 12:14pm
The River map feature is unusable. when you click on a class of rapid it quickly moves the screen up and turns off the picture of the rapid. I have tried on several computers (around 5 different ones with different os) and they all do the same thing. So I am not being a pebcock here. Just thought I would let you know.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 4:36pm
The Feature Map has now been updated to prevent the icons click and disappear.

I have also added a search criteria to narrow down the returned features. This was really so I could start archiving my sink spots and keeping a nice record of whats where and what not. You must drag the map before search criteria is submitted. Unfortunately I have not yet tied the dropdowns into the map reload yet.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version