Professor Paddle: Cedar River Race vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: Cedar River Race - Event Date: 04 Apr 2009 Post Reply Post New Topic
twier
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote twier Replybullet Calendar Event: Cedar River Race
    Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 2:40pm
The WKC Cedar River Races for 2009 will be held on April 4-5.

Come practice on the course Friday, April 3rd.
Saturday, there will be open slalom practice on the course, and downriver sprint, classic, and head to head races.
Sunday will be the slalom race with beginner and advanced courses.

Registration will start Friday afternoon at the race site.  Entrance Fee is $20 for ACA members and $25 for non- ACA members.  $5 extra for additional classes.

The race will take place at Landsburg, where 276th ave SE/Issaquah-Ravensdale Road crosses the Cedar River.

Please email Tom Wier at twier@yahoo.com if you are interested or have questions.

An approximate schedule is as follows:
Friday, April 3:
     Slalom course set up. 
     Registration open in the afternoon.

Saturday, April 4:
     8:00 am: Registration opens again.  Slalom course open for practice all day except   during downriver events.
     9:00 am: Racers meeting for downriver sprint and classic
     10:00 am: Downriver sprint round 1
     11:00 am: Downriver sprint round 2
     12:00 pm: Downriver head to head competition.
     2:00 pm:  Downriver classic start

Sunday, April 5:
     8:00 am: Last minute Registration
     10:00 am: racer's meeting
     10:30 am: Slalom Race Run 1
     12:00 pm: Slalom Race Run 2
     Prizes directly after slalom course take down.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 3:41pm

Can you describe the downriver, classic and head to head races? Are plastic boaters allowed to compete in any or all of these events? If so, what are the length restrictions and any other requirements? Thanks

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 1:53pm
Thanks so much for posting those details here, Twier. I'm glad to have some advanced notice and will try to be there unless some spectacular trip developes somehwere else that I can't miss.

I checked it out in 2005 and it's a cool scene.

To answer your question-- WA -boater:  You can definitley race with plastic boats. I don't know the specifications on boat lengths/regulations, but there are divisions to accomodate the broader whitewater public (plastic boats). Email Tom Wier.

While plastic boats are woefully ill-suited for slalom racing, Shake your money maker.
Bring what you have. It's a good way to challenge your skills.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 3:23pm
Nice work with the Event thread. I was about to add it to the calendar and then I saw that it was already done!

Don't know if I will be there yet but with it in my backyard I will sure try. Anyone have a diablow I could borrow?    (j/k)
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 5:19pm

even I'll tell you that you cna do lots better than a Diablo for running gates!

But I guess if plastic is your poison, you could do lots worse. I'm going to try to go at least one day. Have to see what shapes up that weekend.

But to anyone who's never been to a real slalom race before, I highly suggest you check it out. There are dynamics at play on a slalom course that are very applicable to running difficult, technical whitewater. Boat designs change, and fads and trends come and go, but the river still flows the same way. Even the most rudimentary slalom skills can really sharpen up ANY paddler's game!

In fact, anyone interested in going should let me know, because it would probably ramp up my interest as well.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 4:04pm
I'll be there ripping the Hurricane! 
twier
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote twier Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 2:38pm

You can definately paddle whatever boat you want for any of the races.  For the head to head sprints, we'll try to pair people with boats of similar speed, so that a wildwater boat doesn't end up racing a Kingpin down the course.  Just show up Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

twier
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote twier Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 8:28pm
The Cedar Races are in ten days!

On Saturday, April 4th, we'll start the day with a racer's meeting at 9:30 am, then do a sprint race through the slalom rapid.

There will be head to head sprints at 11:30 starting at the lip of the rapid- boater cross style.  Plastic boats are perfect, and probably desired if there's any contact... You don't have to compete in the sprint to race in the head to head, but it will help us with pairing racers.

Later in the afternoon, we'll hold a downriver race (30-45 min, depending on boat type). 

On Sunday, we'll hold the slalom race.

To get to the race site from Seattle, head east on I-90 'til Exit 17 (Issaquah/Front Street).  Head South on Front Street.  It turns into 276th Ave SE and then becomes the Issaquah Hobart Road.  Go for about 12 miles, 'til the road crosses the river.  You'll see the kayaks there.

Registration will be Friday afternoon at the race site, all day Saturday, and early on Sunday morning.  $20 for ACA members/$25 for non ACA members covers all races.

Edited by James - 23 Mar 2009 at 8:35pm
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 8:36pm
(This was on the calendar twice - pulled the re-post and moved to event thread!!!)

Be there or B [ ]
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 9:42pm
Ok I'll be there.
jP
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 12:15am
So I'm going to the Cedar. It'll be fun. I wish I had a legit slalom boat, though. I'll bring the diablo just in case. Anyone who's never been to a slalom race should check it out if they'll be in the area. It's coming up this weekend!!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 7:36pm
Damn. No interest huh? Why? from talking to many of you outside of this forum, it sounds like the Reg. fee is a deal breaker for you. $25 is a lot of money during a recession, it's true. Understandably it's to pay for the insurance required at ACA events, for better or for worse. And I have to be honest, money is tight for me right now, too. But for the record, I'm just voicing what you all have told me.

Insurance sounds like a great idea in an economy that actually works for those working for it, in a ridiculously litigious society that operates in such a wasteful way. But the reality is that there is evidently a tipping point. So people won't go. For better or worse.

It makes me sad, because I see a rich heritage that is dying. And it is being strangled to death by  people on both sides of the spectrum. The old-guard and the newschool (sorry, but half of you ain't newschool-half of you are just plain driftwood and could stand a lesson or two how to properly paddle).

Everyone's been talking me out of going, and I confess there's valid points-- (there are plenty of more exciting downriver racing events, it's true) But sunday is the Slalom event. It's in our backyard. I'm defintiely gonna show for it. I proabably won't register to race because I can't afford it, but I'll be there in spirit, and maybe get to run the gates on my own. So if anyone wants to go down there with me give  me a call.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JAM1
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote JAM1 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 8:53pm

Nice flow on the Cedar today with a good mix of plastic, race, and open boats.  I heard a lot of positive comments from those who have never tried slalom before or haven't spent much time running gates.  As the course is set for the race, it's bound to challenge paddlers of all skill levels.

If money's the issue, perhaps something could be worked out.  Speaking as a race director from years past, I'd rather see you in your boat on the water then on the sidelines.  Talk to the folks at the table in the morning.  Just try to give them enough notice before the racers meeting at 10 AM so they can get your name on the start list. 

Either way, come on out to support the Seattle area's only permanent whitewater slalom site.  Hope to see you there!

See http://nwwhitewater.org for a schedule.
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 1:01pm
Thanks for putting on this event. I had a lot of fun and have a whole new perspective on what it means to nail every move in a rapid.

There are some folks from NW Whitewater that are heading back up to the cedar tomorrow (Wednesday) night meeting there at 6. Just putting the word out in case anyone from PP might want to go out there to run some gates.

I would be interested in carpooling from Seattle. Let me know if you want to go 248.505.1637

Brian 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 5:28pm
Wow. It's tempting to head out there Wed. I certainly am glad I showed up for the Slalom.  I had to make a tough decision between Ernie's and the Cedar race, and I'm glad I made the right one! These rivers run all the time, but the race is a once a year event!

Thanks for putting the event together and keeping it going every year! Thanks to Bob for loaning me his slalom boat! That really is the way to run gates without question!

I got really fired up being out there, and hope to have my own slalom boat again so I can race in the future. Maybe I can fix mine. the cockkpit rim is busted and the haul needs some SERIOUS grinder work!

It's a great little rapid for the course, and the course was well designed to accomodate a broad swath of skill levels!! If it's easy for you to clean a batch of gates, hey, you can always paddle faster!

I plan on being there next year as well!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version