Professor Paddle: Four Rivers Lottery vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Four Rivers Lottery Post Reply Post New Topic
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote huckin harms Replybullet Topic: Four Rivers Lottery
    Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 11:15am
Just got the email results for the 4RVS Lottery.  
For my picks -Selway and/or Mid Salmon unsuccessful.
Boo hoo.
Oh well!  Check cancellations and/ or go for early season are backup options.  And try for next year.   I have heard of Tributary Permits for the Middle Fork Salmon (ie BigCrk).  Anyone familiar with these and the process?  Anyone score Selway permit?!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 2:48pm
I was also unsuccessful for the Selway, but, my girlfriend got her second choice of the Main Salmon for the 29th of September. It could be a nice warm-up trip before the Labor Day weekend festivities at the NF Payette...
MORE RAIN PLEASE
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 3:45pm

Big Creek Tributary Permits

Big Creek floaters must obtain a Tributary Permit from the Krassel Ranger District but they are no longer required to obtain a Middle Fork of the Salmon launch reservation and permit if they will go all the way out in one day (no overnight stays). Contact the Krassel District at 208-634-0600

go here ... http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sc/recreation/whitewaterrafting/mfriver/index.shtml#bigcreek
Liz
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote Liz Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 8:05am
No MF or Selway for me either.  Boo hoo.  My dad picked up a Main for Sept. too.

If you do pick-up a dropped permit on the MF and need someone to row your lunch down the river, I volunteer my services
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
1150lbsofaire
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote 1150lbsofaire Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 9:22am
my buddy scored a selway for the end of july. does anyone know what a good low cut off level is for a raft. if thing dont change fast late july could be not so good i imagin
lookin for a bow cap for a storm
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 9:38am
The snowpack is low enough that you should have no problem getting over Nez Pierce Pass and running the Selway before the permit season.  I've done this 3 times now and although the weather can be a bit chilly it is well worth it. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 9:39am
Anything under 2 feet at the Paradise gauge is getting bony for a raft.  You can proabably run it down to 1.5 feet or so. 
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 8:43am

So who's done the Big Crk stretch before?  Slickhorn?  30 miles on the Middle in a day sounds long but feasible -  worth it w/o the overnight stay?  

Tom- how do you 'know' whether Nez Pec pass is passable?  I'd be bummed to drive the distance and get skunked.  I know I am being lazy here, but lets here from the experienced....

thanks guys

slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 9:38am
We didn't have a very successful attempt at Big Creek.  that said, I'm very eager to get back in there and give 'er another go, so if a group wanted to get in there, I'd love to join.  I've got some maps and basic beta/logistics dialed in. 

30 miles on the MFS shouldn't be a problem -- heck, I've done 30 miles on the Jarbidge, including portages, at 500 cfs with gear boats.  That's way slower than the MFS. 

Big Creek is very lovely.  We ran only as far as the first gorge, then scouted the river down as far as monumental creek.  Wood is the big obstacle, it feels like an OP river where wood is just everywhere.  It was fast, blind, and sketchy.

The first gorge had some fantastic IV water.  Nothing hairy, but some shitty wood that ended our trip.  Some really epic carnage in there last year by other groups -- we were finding shavings all along the trail as far as we hiked.  Looked like someone hiked out 10+ miles, and had their trip ending carnage farther downstream than we made it. 

With all that said, I don't think its a V trip by any means, just good IV with some canyon sections, and wood.  The trail makes it easy to scout ahead, which is how I'd probably approach it next time. 

Other thoughts: Loon Creek I hear has a nice run on it, but you'd need to meet up with a group w/ a MFS permit.  Sometimes Outfitters with open slots are willing to have folks join mid trip.

Moose Creek into the Selway is another option, you can fly out at Tony Point, or run the Moose Juice, but it will be really cranking if moose is runnable.  I IK'd it with Fish at 3' which is a nice medium level.  I think 4' and up is high, even for rafts, and 5' and up starts into expert big water territory.  Gabe, I'm sure you'd love it. If interested in Moose creek, I'd check in on the spokanekayaker list, I think they are looking to put a trip together.

SF Salmon - better canyon, better whitewater, no permit needed, no crowds.  4' and up she's big water IV-V, or 2-3 feet she's fun technical IV.  That's where I'll be in July unless we score a selway cancellation.  Among my favorite multidays anywhere. 

For less common overnight options, Lolo Creek has been overnighter intentionally.  While it hass less whitewater, the NF Boise has some great camping.  Up out of Coeur 'd Elaine there are some great multiday options on Granite creek/St Joe.  I think Todd Hoffman is the guy to hit for beta on those, and I think you can find him on the IEwhitewater list.

Don't overlook the Jarbidge/Bruneau either.  It is in my top 3 canyons of all time. 

--b
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 9:43am
re the MFS being worth it without the stay, I don't see any reason a determined small group of kayakers couldn't poach a camp in that canyon.  Stay out of the named, reserved sites, and don't set camp up until after dark.  get on the water early.

Not that I would ever do anything like that, of course ... ;-)
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 9:59am
Harms, I's call one of the shuttle services in the area to find out about the pass.  I'm sure they could tell you if it was open. 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 10:55am
Some good details, Slickhorn. I never done the Jarbridge/Bruneau and have always wanted to. If anyone is serious about planning a trip on that this year, let me know.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:33am
As long as you take out in the dark you should be fine.  Boatman cops on the the river don't issue tickets, land based ones do and they don't hang around the take-outs all night waiting....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version