Professor Paddle: Belize vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Belize Post Reply Post New Topic
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobin Replybullet Topic: Belize
    Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 9:14pm
 4 Airplanes, 11 buses, 16 taxi's, 4 water taxi's, 5 hotels, I have no idea how many miles.
  Ambre & I are home after a 2 week tour of the best the area has to offer.
  We flew into Cancun and took a bus to Corazal in Belize, then a water taxi to Caye Caulker.
 Caye Caulker is a small island out on the barrier ref, around 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide. There are no cars on the island, golf carts with big tires rule the roads, alng with bikes.
  The people are amazing, everyone smiles and says hello. It is not touristy at all, and in fact very rustic and if you ever go, make sure you spend a few evenings drinking a Belekin at the I & I. There are no chairs, only swings and hammocks.
  From Caye Caulker we bused to El Ramante, Guatemala, and the Mayan ruins at Tikal.

Where we stayed is a little off the norm for travelers visiting Tikal, most stay in Flores, El Remate is a tiny little vilage that has horses, goats, chickens, and goats roaming the streets. It was perfect, again the people were amazingly friendly and welcoming, and I could get used to the lifestyle.
  Tikal itself? Pictures don't do it justice, as you walk through jungle paths at sunrise listening to the Howler monkeys echo, you know you are somewhere special. The word Tikal means 'sound or echo' and it is true, you can stand in the center of the Grand Plaza and listen to the echo of a light hand clap.
   Walking through the acropolis ruins made the hair on hte back of my neck stand up.
It is a magical place. From Tikal we buses back into Belize to Hopkins, more beach time!
  Hopkins is a tiny little village south of Dangriga, it has the last indigenious population in Belize. They were the first slaves brought to the area, and speak a creole type english with a smile. Hopkins is a little bit dirty, even by Central American standards, the people here only received running water 4 years ago, and garbage service 1 year ago.
  Where they live is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.  The beach is right there, the Sitee River is next door, a slow place life.
  For the last 3 nights of our trip we sold out and went to Cozumel in Mexico. A tourist town, but if you look past the cruise ship strip malls, it has a soul.
  We stated at a Casita de Maya by the aeropuerto. I strongly recomend it, if your in the area. We found little places to eat, local artist galleries, and a pottery studio that defy defintion. The diving off Cozumel is world class, crystal clear water and perfect habitat make for an experience to remember.
  Getting off the airplane was tough, I wanted to go back, but our holiday was great.

I just wanted to share.
Cheers 

Edited by Tobin - 14 Feb 2009 at 9:19pm
Sure?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 8:47am

Wow, that sounds like a sweet get away.  70 and sunny must be nice!  Thanks for sharing!

STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 10:47am
Gorgeous.  What a nice get away from the states and all the problems around here.  Can't wait to hear some more stories.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Ik'er
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Ik'er Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 12:27pm
Great stuff ! We are heading there next month, Can't wait :)

Did you get to cave branch or do the ATM cave tour ?

S ~
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 9:36pm
Did you conduct any "official business" on the trip so you can write it off... ;-)  I hear there is a good market for Bliss Stick developing in that part of the world...
JHB
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 10:03pm
I handed out 2 business cards and a DVD. Totally tax deductible  Well probably not the gallons of rum, but some of it.

Good to hear from you Jon. Hope you have been well! Drop in sometime for dinner, we miss you around here!

Sure?
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version