Professor Paddle: Green River Clean Up vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: Green River Clean Up - Event Date: 02 May 2009 Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Calendar Event: Green River Clean Up
    Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 8:53am
Anyone know when the Green River Clean Up is?

I want to get that on the calendar. Thanks

Edited by James - 29 Jan 2009 at 9:53am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 9:37am
Saturday May 2nd.  
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 9:53am
Thanks Fish

So does anyone else think that PP should have a group that meets up to help with this function. I mean its one of the more frequented rivers in our area and home to Paradise. Just seems like something we should put some effort towards.
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:34pm
I definitely agree
... preparing for a river beating!     
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:46pm
If you want to pursue involvement, I'd suggest getting in touch with Mark Burns, president of WRRR. 

This year is going to be one of change for this event, which is a good thing.  Meeting are already occuring to coordinate the efforts of WRRR, Friends of the Green, Middle Green River Coalition, King Couty, and the parks (and everyone else I've forgotten ... )

It would be best to have a point person for the qp community, and have that person be involved in those meetings. 

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 4:29pm

Check this out, the HH dam is gone to shit:

jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:00pm

It was interesting during the start of the recent flood event to see the “below HHD” gauge at HHD go from something like 7000cfs to about 80cfs in a matter of hours.  My guess is they miscalculated the potential side flow caused by the warm rains and wind on the low elevation snow, and had to slam the dam shut to keep the river within the confines of the valley levees.  With HHD releasing the 80cfs, the river was still cranking at Auburn.  This was short lived, but I’m sure there were a few tense moments as the inflow to HH reservoir approached 30K and the reservoir level rocketed up.  The lowland inflow then subsided, and they cranked up the outflow from the dam to release pressure.  At some point they discovered a “sink-hole” in (I believe) the face of the dam.  I've heard that an indicator placed in the water on the reservoir side transfered "quite rapidly" to the downstream side of the dam, which is not what you want to hear if you are a hydro engineer with the ACE.  Not sure if the sink hole was caused by the drastic fluctuation in discharge and resulting rapid rise of the reservoir level, but due to this newly discovered “oops”, they kept the outflow cranked up long after inflow discharge had subsided in an effort to drop reservoir levels and keep the size of the sink-hole from propagating.  As a rule of thumb, if you live or work in the historic flood plain (think Auburn, Kent, etc) like I do, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the weather.  Until they fix the problem at the dam, outflow will pretty much mimic inflow, and the valley levees are only engineered for 10K or so cfs… 

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 9:06pm
I watched the little clip on one of the K5 news pages and the sink hole looks like it is on the North West bank of the reservoir. I believe they called it an abutment, it is within 100 yards of the face of the dam from what the video shows. From how close it was to the waters edge it is a surprise that it is not larger...

How do you fix something like that? Pack in some dirt and call it good?

The ACE says they will be happy if it is prepared by next winter.

Although this is nice for boating since it will be a more un-regulated flow, it brings up the issue of this reservoirs purpose. The state and the ACE claims it is soley for water regulation on a flood prone river (Green). Interesting that ever since we started selling the drinking water, releases have slimmed down and even at the beginning of a season they start Bogarting the water for sales not considering the flood potential that each season brings. This never would have happened if so much water was not kept in the resevoir to begin with, if the release patterns were more inline with flood prevention not water sales.

I just saw a movie in Hollywood video tonight but it was all checked out. I am going to get it next time I am in. Check it out if your interested ... along these lines.

It's called FLOW
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 9:06pm
I would definitely want to be involved in the cleanup.  Not sure exactly how the green cleanup works, but I've helped out on the Clackamas cleanup in Oregon and that is one heck of a good time.  There isn't too much that feels better than cleaning up/restoring a beautiful place.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 9:18pm
Here is a trailer I found on that movie... Not exactly the same as the Howard Hanson scenario but very urgent none the less.

Edited by James - 02 Feb 2009 at 9:19pm
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 3:09pm
The cities of Tukwila and Renton are rushing to put emergency evacuation plans together.  I just spoke to a City representative that said the impacts of a 100 year event before the dam is fixed could be biblical.  Southcenter will be under water.  Neat.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by bdrkayaker

I would definitely want to be involved in the cleanup.  Not sure exactly how the green cleanup works, but I've helped out on the Clackamas cleanup in Oregon and that is one heck of a good time.  There isn't too much that feels better than cleaning up/restoring a beautiful place.

You show up and run the river like you normally would... whatever section.... Headworks, Upper Gorge, Lower Gorge, Yo-yo.... downstream of Yo yo even: PLUS:

First sign in with a volunteer before you launch. Volunteers from WRRR and Friends of the Green will be at the Headworks, Kanaskat Palmer, and Flaming Geyser to sign up volunteers. They will give you trash bags. Then pick a spot or more on the way down the river and collect trash. The dropoff site for trash is at Flaming Geyser.

If you are kayaking the gorge or headworks... after you collect your trash, you can leave your trashbags on the river side at an obvious to spot location and rafts will be running sweep behind you to pick them up.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 5:24pm
man-- I rally wanted to do this this year. Then I saw the Nordheimer race in Cali and lots of inertia is flowing in that direction.

We'll see. It's still a long ways out. If I'm in washington that weekend I'll do it.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 7:29pm
I think that video is wrong, just check out this website! YOu can make your own fresh water....

Water from air

Edited by dave - 25 Feb 2009 at 7:29pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version