Professor Paddle: high float pfd options.... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: high float pfd options.... Post Reply Post New Topic
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Online Status: Offline
  Quote franzhorner Replybullet Topic: high float pfd options....
    Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 3:18pm
SUCK!!!

What is wrong with this world?  There are basically 3 options out there for a high float jacket.  There is the Extrasport B22, the Extrasport swiftwater ranger and fury, and some piece of junk looking NRS PFD.  Do people not see the value in high float jackets??  They don't make America's Cup Jackets anymore either.  I would like to find my girlfriend a highfloat PFD that will fit her relatively well.  When I look out there at all the PFD designs it seems as if the manufacturers are more interested in how cute they are instead of their function.  This is what happened to Whitewater helmets too.  See how many options are out there for a decent helmet that covers your ears!!

Also there are hardly any options for rescue PFD's and only 2 I could find that are high float...

Who wants to start a PFD manufacturing company with me??  
MORE RAIN PLEASE
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 4:20pm
Yo Mr. Horner,
I feel your pain even though I am not big into the high float pfds.  What about that wierd NRS floatation underlayer in conjunction with a "cute little" pfd?  Just an idea.  Sorry I missed you this weekend.  I actually drove passed you guys around 9:30 am with my red creek boat ontop of my Subaru.
Ohta
H2Ohta
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 6:45pm
oneill also makes a more fashionable flotation "shirt" to complement a smaller profile pfd
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 10:54am
Originally posted by H2Ohta

Yo Mr. Horner,
I feel your pain even though I am not big into the high float pfds.  What about that wierd NRS floatation underlayer in conjunction with a "cute little" pfd?  Just an idea.  Sorry I missed you this weekend.  I actually drove passed you guys around 9:30 am with my red creek boat ontop of my Subaru.
Ohta

Right on Ohta.  We saw you traveling west and figured you were headed for robe...Tumwater was sweet!

I've considered these float shirts for myself but what I'm looking for here is a high float PFD for my girlfriend when she's riding on my raft.  I thought I would buy her an America's Cup jacket but they don't make them anymore.  The choices left are an MTI Big Bouy, Extrasport B22, and the new NRS high float. 

I really don't like any of these choices....

I may just get her an Astral women's jacket and hope that since she weighs a little over 100 pounds that the 16 pounds of float will do fine.

I once swam the Drop in my Lotus Rio and didn't surface between the picket fence until after flypaper and I believe that had something to do with my low float jacket.  I've also been in Hells Canyon at a huge flow and wished that I had a higher float jacket!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 3:22pm
I wish I was heading to Robe or had stayed to do Tumwater but it was a friends birthday so we went to their house in Concrete.  We were shredding the gnar on the "Ole Magic Skagit".  Bald Eagles are cool but they are so much cooler when you see them from whitewater versus flatwater. 
H2Ohta
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 3:49pm
http://www.altrec.com/extrasport/hi-float-b27-life-jacket
I just saw these on Altrec and they are pretty cumbersome looking.
Ohta
H2Ohta
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 7:19pm

This is going to sound bad, I predict. But personally I think Floating is over rated. Not very much, but just a tiny bit overrated. I mean, no one would argue that it's important to float, but it is also important to have a lifejacket that allows a freedom of mobility. Swimming in whitewater often requires a measured alternation between passive and active states of motion.

Often just a few, well timed and well placed strong swim strokes will both keep you on the surface and attached to the current that is going where you want to go. and sometimes you want to be able to go deep to latch on to some out flow from some bad ass hole.

On the other hand, if you're paddling lots of Big Water, floodstage, huge sh*t good flotation is essential, and you can't count on being able to swim your way out of trouble, or even to shore. So what kind of flotation you choose for your specific activity is an important choice.

Many people seem to like the Astrals because they provide that range of motion, but I'm not sure I like the bulky concentratin at the belly. Seems like it would suck for climbing into rafts, not to mention playboating , but I've never worn one.  I think I was checkin out a Stolquist that I liked. It was less bulky and had that flotation spread out over the whole torso more.I've had a few Lotus jackets and have been happy with both the range of motion and the flotation they provide. Then again, I'm a light wieght person.

All the fassion b.s. you cited-- the industry has always been like that. Good gear is usually around, though.
 If you really want a high float, I'm confident you'll find one. You could always make you're own, if you wanted to bad enough!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version