Professor Paddle: Gauley Fest vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Gauley Fest Post Reply Post New Topic
LuckyLiam
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LuckyLiam Replybullet Topic: Gauley Fest
    Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 1:03pm
Went out east the other weekend to the Gauley Festival 08. I'd never paddled back east so I didn't know what to expect. My friends from NoCal and I had a great trip. There's quite a crowd, including 70 + yr olds' running class V and video paddlers jumping in every hole on the river. It's a pretty big river though and crowds weren't as bad as we thought.The whole trip ran us less than $350 each including food and campling since we had miles tickets. You could also do the week before or after and avoid the rush.

Highly recommended if you like:
-Warm water
-Good rapids
-Parties
-Free beer

Flew into Pittsburgh on FF miles. From there we headed down to the Yough. Met up with some local Friendly Friends 'villians' (Keith, Jim, Bob ...) who were super-coolio.
We were able to scam some boats from assorted locals, but another option would be to rent from Rocky Mountain Kayak outside of Pitt and avoid paying the airlines to ship your boat.
Upper Yough is a great tight technical 4, and usually releases the week before the Gauley Fest. Some years the Sandy may be going too.
From there we headed down to the Gauley, got there in the afternoon and ran the lower. Lots of good play spots.
Saturday of the fest, we waited to put on the upper until after 1 pm and managed to avoid the bulk of the crowds. Insignificant, Pillow, Lost Paddle, Iron Ring and Sweets Falls were great fun. All not too difficult once they are broken down. There was a lot of talk about Pillow, but I saw people run it every way including upside down along the left wall and come out fine. You could cut back after the first hole and miss it to the right if you wanted. Preferred double bonus route was to run the meat left center, move back right, and boof off of Volkswagon rock.
At the festival you could see every type kayak that exists in the work. Pyrahna is coming out with a new boat that looks like a hybrid of the Burn and a displacement hull. Instead of the hard edge it's got a bevel.
Saw Liquid logics new play boat. ( what were they thinking?).
Lot's of schwag too. My friend won a free astral lifejacket. Legends and BS flyin in every direction all night long. We had great weather all weekend.
Sunday ran the upper again (definitely worth doing twice) and flew back Monday am.
I'm going back some year...

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 6:38pm
YES!!!!!!
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 8:29am
Yo Liam,

Sounds like a sweet trip.
Thanks for sharing.   
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 8:58am
I made it out to Gauley with Nookie this year, and I will tell you....they do their festival right!!!!!!!!!   Everyone paddles in the morning and they open the festival area at 5pm Friday and go through 10pm...then everyone paddles in the morning and the fest area opens again Sat. at 2pm and goes through midnight!!!  no 6pm bedtime!  What boater is up before noon anyway.  Then there is more paddling Sunday, taredown and venture home.... One Solid day of amazing things......   Retailers, distributers, factories, bands, beer, food, fun  all open all night long!!!   Now if we can convense Wenatchee Fest to style it that way....... I think we will have a better turnout at the event site, I know I rather be on the river when its light out then woundering booths!!  But when the lights go down, I am in for some beer and gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 5:41pm