Professor Paddle: Some rivers I want to check out... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Some rivers I want to check out... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: Some rivers I want to check out...
    Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 1:43pm

The Bennet Book has a whole bunch of runs that go during the rainy Season, from November to March or so. Pretty much the whole first 150 pages or so is chock full of them. Many of these rivers are in South Western Washington, and most of them I've never paddled.

There's the Chehalis drainage, the Toutle (Hollywood Gorge), The Grays R., and some tribs of the Wind I'd like to explore. And of course I'd like to return to the Tilton.
Lots of these are in the class III-IV range, accessible to paddlers of a wide range of skill levels. so I'm throwing the idea out there for people to think about and keep in mind for later this winter.

Maybe there's a reason why there isn't more of a buzz for some of these runs, if so, I'm willing to go and personally find out why. I'll paddle any river once. I like checking out a new blue line on the map. Let me know if anything in particular interests you, send me a PM or whatever, and maybe we'll plan some trips!

jP

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 1:53pm
Oh yeah--- How could I forget? One of the runs I really want to check out is the Puyallup Gorge above Electron. It's supposed to be a class IV version of the Carbon. Anyone ever done it? I guess there's some cost prohibitive access issues, so maybe that would be a "no".

"Do the Puyallup"

And I'd like to check out S. Prairie Creek class V, provided I can get a beater boat for it.

Edited by wetmouse - 11 Sep 2008 at 1:56pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 1:58pm
I love the Wind, Chehalis, Grays, and Tilton and I'm down to run them when they come in.  My first choice would be the Gray's since I've only run it once and it was BADASS.  I think it rivals the Cascade.  The Upper Wind is just so great.  I love that run.  I've only run the covered bridge section of the Chehalis and it was super sweet at high water.  I would love to that again.  The Tilton is pretty good too although I would do the others over it any day..
I also need revenge on Yellowjacket Creek!
Bring on the Rain!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 5:05pm
I really want to check out the puallip gorge. accordidng to bennet the access fees are something like $13 but that was 10 years ago, it could have changed.
and the tilton has a sweet gorge in the last mile or so.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 6:00pm

I looked into access on the Puyallup last year and current "access passes" are in the $400 range. That said, I'd love to get into that gorge, too. I've also heard that S. Prairie Creek has some very sharp, unfriendly rock that cracks boats. That said...

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 8:13pm
on AW it says it's $165 for a annual key...
idk, if someone got it it could be shared or something...
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 9:35am
I have checked this out before, all the way to calling and showing up to talk with Campbell Land Management. The bottom line is that at one time you could buy an access key for the day or weekend, per person or per car. Due to high volumes of dumping and abuse of the land they discontinued that policy.

The current policy is now the sale of access per person or per family per year only. There are no monthly or weekly usages allowed.

At last the family access was around $400.00 per year. I have posted the details on who you can contact at Campbell land management on the Puyallup Gorge river page. So far I don't know of anyone that has done this. If there is significant interest I am sure that 8-10 people could split that fee up, the problem would be getting Campbell to issue access to the group as one family, which they indicated to me that they would not do.
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 11:47pm
well, has anyone actully been in there and run it?
I mean is it worth the $400?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 12:07am
Considering the dense amount of goods, sporatic nature of beta and variety around this area .... I would not trust anyone but myself to make that call.

I am pretty sure that there have been guys that have run it before. Was it on cascade classics?
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 7:18am
I know Almquist, Stano, Exe, and some others made an orvernight trip out of it. They accessed it from the Park side and ran a lot of stuff before getting to the gorge. BITD
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 2:59pm
If there's any other way to access it from upstream, I'd be down. I mean, I'd even do a three day trip if it meant I could put in upstream of the put in requiring an access fee. Otherwise, $400 is, like, a whole tour of California rivers living high on the hog. $13 for one day is reasonable. I don't see myself padling that stretch more than once anyway. Who needs a year pass? If I'm gonna go that route, I'd just get a ski pass somewhere.

From the Park side, huh? That sounds like the adventure for me.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 3:03pm

S. Prarie Crk is listed in Bennet's book as a boat breaker ("Bring a spare") -- so I really don't HAVE to hit that one up. I mean, even with a disposable boat: who wants to be stuck in a canyon w/ a broken boat after going in knowing that such an outcome was probable? I guess we can cross that one off.

Or go when it is PUMPIN da JOOSE! (the Joose reference is for you James, as I know you have a soft spot in your heart for said beverage)

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 3:04pm
And the Grays-- Really want to check that one out!!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 3:27pm
the only video on the grays river page on aw is a cataraft getting beatdown...
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 7:55pm
S. Prarie creek is a great run. There are some hard drops, a big 25-30' waterfall and some difficult portages. We paddled it with a crew of 6 or 8 a few years back, and I remember it was challenging getting everybody into eddies. All in all it was a good time and I'd recommend at least one run down before you write it off.
It is hard to get a good water level. I'd stick with a healthy flow rather than a low one. The spare boat deal is more of a joke than reality. If run at low flows, it would be hard on boats just like the Upper Upper Cispus or Ohane at low flows. I think they had a bad experience. Ours was great.

14kayaking2
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote 14kayaking2 Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 9:22pm
I think that there should be a new book.  Anyone seen Whitewater of the Southern Rockies?  That is the ne age of guides that is for sure.  Maybe someone should start working on something like that for around here....  Any takers?  James?  Wetmouse?

Edited by 14kayaking2 - 16 Sep 2008 at 9:34pm
"We are only boaters between swims" Matty
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 10:53am
That was me getting the beat down on the Grays.  That flow was too high.  We climbed/hiked out from that spot.  It took 5 throw bag tosses to get me out of there.  The toss that got me was done with a coiled rope and extended the full length of the line (60ft).  Don't be fooled by that gauge!  The Naselle and Gray's don't directly correlat as led on in the guide book!  Although I would like to try at that high flow again, I found half the flow to be super fun all the way to the take out!

PS the video is posted on PP too...
MORE RAIN PLEASE
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 11:14am
Yeah, Franz!! I'd be into goin with you if you make it back to the Grays this winter!! I'm comfortable being on the river with catoats-- although, when I went to the N. Frk of the Payette a few weeks back, and found myself running with Shelly and the gang, I found that run to be very tough to run with the cats. But that's a unique run all its own.

WA-Boater: thanks for your input, dude! I figure if you add enough water, it's gotta smooth out some. Never been an "E.L.F." boater (although my mom is a hobbit, and my dad is an ogre). I'm sure too much water would be too much.
  So your account is enough for me "un-cross" off.
Two questions for ya:
1) would ya go back?
2) what sort of flows did you have? Do you remember any cfs numbers?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 11:21am

14kayaking2:

I agree there needs to be a revised addition of Bennet's book. I wish it could be just that: a revised addition. I think overall it is a great book full of lots of info that is still rellevant today. It would be great if he could turn it over to a group of people to add and update the info in it, rather than reinventing the wheel and starting a whole new one from scratch.

Then again, maybe the internet is the new medium for such info. as mobile devices get better, more of us are using them in more and more remote places. On the other hand a book is cool because it is truly a stand alone "device"-no need for a sattelite connection that trees and canyons can block, or some weak-ass cellular connection that is unreliable.

Maybe we need to flesh out the descriptions of rivers here on this site.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:09pm
way to go!!! that as a entertaining video!
the only people who I know who have run that ended up having a bad swim and one guy hiked out. It sounds like a pretty serious run for IV+.
14kayaking2
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote 14kayaking2 Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 8:07pm
yeah.  I agree with that Wetmouse.  It really doesn't need a reinvention...more revision.  But a serious one at that.  In the last few years a lot of new "creeks" have opened up, and so has the average ability risen.  It makes it so that a fair look at all of it is not a bad idea.  Digital is great, but still not like having the text anywhere, anytime.  Also the digital age definitely takes a bit out of the adventure.  Though the argument can be made for guides too.  In my opinion making the revision would be the adventure in itself...  Find a fair group of boaters interested that have a like mind in classifying....  It would be fun to be working toward something like that, and quite rewarding upon completion. 

Hey I'm having trouble finding that video..got a link?

Edited by 14kayaking2 - 17 Sep 2008 at 8:08pm
"We are only boaters between swims" Matty
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 8:48pm
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 9:27pm
Count me in for some of the IV+ type stuff!  Not sure about full on V yet, but I'm always looking to check off runs in my guide book, even if it's only to say, "Well, I don't need to go back and do that again!"  Chehalis, Tilton, etc,  as well as stuff up on the Peninsula - Matheny, Dungeness, Grey Wolf??  How about the North Fork of the Tolt?  It is supposed to be a Class V canyon and it is not far from my house.  Access is tricky and I can't get O'Keefe to write back to me with any beta.  Maybe even the Raging River in Fall City.  I know there is a lot of wood and may require a low water scout/saw mission.  Would like to check out the upper stretch of the Rapid for wood clearing as well.  Ok, I'm rambling now...
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 9:54pm
the grey wolf has a amazing mile or so canyon section of whitewater, class IV ledges and fun boatscouting. this was with 420 (haha) CFS on the dungeness guage. then there was one other memorable fun class 4+ drop that ended with a log limbo to a quck ferry to aviod being stuffed under a log. the rest of the drops, decapitation canyon, had wood in them. be careful because the entire run had wood in it. when in doubt scout. that being said, it was a great run, the hike + frequent portages combined with a attempt on mt constance the next day, were very tiring. but I think it was well worth it.
I wouldent go in there with more than 700 on the dungeness guage, unless I knew the wood situation.
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 5:03am
NF Tolt does have some class V and some class IV and some swift currents. 
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version