Professor Paddle: Skagit Safety Skills Buffer Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Skagit Safety Skills Buffer Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
Skagit Safety Skills Builder (Trip Quick View)
Find out more details by Viewing the Trip Page
Skagit  (1. Goodell Creek to Bacon Creek)   Class II (III+)   Min 1500 cfs    |    Max 8000 cfs   Current 2740 cfs (Reported on 04-27-2024 00:25:00)
Trip Leader : tristan
Contact # : 530-966-9152
Meeting Time : 9/6/2008 11:00:00 AM
Meeting Place : Goodell Campground
Paddlers Paddling
PaulGamache
tristan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tristan Replybullet Topic: Skagit Safety Skills Buffer Discussion Thread
    Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 12:22pm

This is the Skagit Safety Skills Buffer discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the Skagit Safety Skills Buffer | Trip Page

This isn’t about me. This is about those of you who paddle water more difficult than class three without a safety vest. I’ve been paddling class five for over a decade. I’m a sponsored athlete (GoPro Head Cameras), certified in Swiftwater Rescue, and have instructed numerous classes ranging from rolling to basic skills. What I’m about to say is something I wish someone I trusted had told me about whitewater skills safety.

It may have saved someone’s life. I believe it is essential that people paddling class four and above use safety life jackets. Investing the time to learn how to use one correctly and the energy just may save a person’s life.

In 2003, I was on a trip in California, Shackleford Creek, when a good friend of mine, Jeff Ellis, died at the base of Shackleford Falls. I jumped into the water to save him. I had no rescue vest on, and had I been tethered into a throw bag I would have been better able to grab him with my arms and perhaps have been able, with the help of Andrew Gerdes, Devin Knight and Ben Stookesberry to pull him out.   

That experience changed the resolution that I have for the correct use of safety gear.  I am happy to share what I know about whitewater safety with anyone interested. I am happy to run any class II-IV run with folks interested in stepping it up and, more specifically, learning good safety skills/ethics. I have paddled all over the West Coast and Nepal. Basic skills I am freely willing to offer include: how to set up an anchor; how to set up and use a tether and how to set up a Z-Rig. You can contact me at tristan.ragsdale@gmail.com, if you would like to join one of these safety minded trips.  

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 6:49pm
Thank you, Tristan.  
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 8:23pm
Glad you're putting this together man, looking forward to some good refreshies,  The  cool thing about this is that no matter what someone's skill level is they will be able to get some great experience out of going to this section.

If there's any Class II-IV(V) level boaters who are looking to gain some info and on how to better their skills this seems like a really good oppurtunity.  Like Tristan I've done year's worth of teaching and wish someone would had offered a similar class to this when I was learning to paddle, espcecially when it's free.  

While having fun playboating this section, I would be more than happy to spend some time helping people out w/ some paddling basics they are having trouble with or some flatwater freestyle tricks (getting ends, cartwheels, loops, helix's, bowstalls, etc).  I miss teaching and would really like to help some people out if they're having issues with something, usually it's pretty easy to spot and solve.

If you don't have any paddling plans and are looking for something to do come check this out.  At the very least it's good exercise, reason to check to paddle the Skagit, and a great skills refresher. 

My rescue / rope skills aren't nearly up to par w/ my paddling so I'm looking forward to getting that down more solid as well.   If there's interest it would be cool to have something like this once a month or so just to keep on it, I forget rope skills simply because I don't practice them enough.

See you Saturday.

If anyone needs a ride from Seattle give a call to 707.484.837zero.

Edited by PaulGamache - 04 Sep 2008 at 8:25pm
27/320 & 1 bootie
JeffJ
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JeffJ Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 10:24am
This sounds great, I am a solid class III boater, but I have plenty I want to learn.  I wear a safety PFD and took a wave trek safety class about 4 years ago, but I am very rusty and in need of a refesher.  I live in Woodinville, and I think the skagit is about a 2.5 hour drive for me.  If I can make it I will let you know.  If I can't I will look forward to the next one you can offer.
Thanks, Jeff
Liz
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote Liz Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 7:28am
I'm also interested in a future safety skills run.  Unfortunately, I can't make it today.  I have taken a Swiftwater Rescue class twice, but always need practice on that stuff!  Thank you for the offer.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version