Professor Paddle: Rutherford Creek BC Whitewater Park vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Rutherford Creek BC Whitewater Park Post Reply Post New Topic
gowithflow
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gowithflow Replybullet Topic: Rutherford Creek BC Whitewater Park
    Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 1:54pm
Does anybody happen to know anything about the Rutherford Creek whitewater park next to Whistler?

1).  Functional
2).  Operating hours and protocol
3).  Key websites

I saw on youtube they held the 2008 BC slalom championships there.  There we supposed to be a couple of play features put in.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 2:29pm
I have never boated the park but I have walked the course when it was low water, and I have heard quite a bit of rumor from locals about the course.

What I saw was no playpark, and with enough water I saw a pretty stout beatdown run made out of concrete and good ole BC granite.

Rumor has it that when flowing the locals found little play but plenty of "beatdowns", which also might explain the non-existent trips and discussions about planning to visit or boat the park.

Edited by James - 14 Aug 2008 at 11:39pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JAM1
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote JAM1 Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 12:21pm
For anyone who may be in the Whistler area this weekend or in 2 weeks, the Rutherford Artificial Course will have water. 

Please be aware of the risks below.  This is a course that is not well-suited to a wide range of paddlers.  In addition to some rough and sharp areas, the course is steep in places, and the water is cold.  I know of at least one broken paddle and heard of another individual whose legs got pretty banged up after swimming.

==============================================

BC Whitewater Slalom Training Camp & Recreational Paddling Events

September 13-14 and 27-28, 2008

Rutherford Whitewater Park Artificial Course (Class III-IV)

Description:

The Chilliwack Centre of Excellence is holding two training camps at the Rutherford course, on Sep. 13-14, and Sep. 27-28. These camps are targeted to expert level whitewater slalom athletes. The training camps will only utilize specific sections at the top of the course, so recreational or freestyle paddlers are welcome to attend also, and take advantage of the play features. The water will be on from approximately 11am to 5pm each day. The training camp is being run by CCE coach Kurt Braunlich. For athletes already in the CCE coaching program, the camp is free. For any other athletes who wish to attend, the fee is $50. Recreational paddlers must pay a $5 daily fee to use the course. All participants must be members of CanoeKayak BC (sign-up available on-site), and must sign a liability waiver before paddling.

ATTENTION – IMPORTANT

THIS IS A NEW AND RELATIVELY UNTESTED FACILITY - UNKNOWN HAZARDS MAY EXIST.

RUNNING THE DROP AT THE OUTLET OF THE COURSE IS PROHIBITED.

CONCRETE LINING THE COURSE IS EXTREMELY ROUGH AND SHARP. CUTS, SCRAPES, AND DAMAGE TO EQUIPMENT ARE LIKELY. COURSE IS FAST AND STEEP, WITH EXPOSED ROCKS. INJURY IS LIKELY IF CAPSIZED OR SWIMMING.

PARTICIPANTS MUST BE STRONG INTERMEDIATE/EXPERT PADDLERS (MINIMUM) WITH A RELIABLE ROLL.

HELMET, PFD, AND FOOTWEAR ARE MANDATORY. GLOVES, FULL WETSUIT, ELBOW PADS AND FACEMASK RECOMMENDED.

YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO OFFER ASSISTANCE AND FIRST AID TO COMPANIONS. NO DEDICATED MEDICAL/RESCUE PERSONNEL ON-SITE.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.

ONLY REGISTERED PADDLERS ALLOWED.

PADDLE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Directions:

The course is located on the Sea to Sky Highway (99), between Whistler and Pemberton. It is approximately 8km South of Pemberton, at the Rutherford Creek Bridge and INNERGEX Rutherford Power station.

Kurt Braunlich

Email kbraunlich@gmail.com

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version