Professor Paddle: 2008 PP Ball Volunteerism vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: 2008 PP Ball Volunteerism - Event Date: 24 May 2008 Post Reply Post New Topic
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Calendar Event: 2008 PP Ball Volunteerism
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:21pm
2008 Professor Paddle Ball Volunteer Sign-Up Thread

Welcome to the 2008 Professor Paddle Ball volunteer sign-up thread.  As we move towards the big event, it is critically important that we have people in place to assist with some aspects of the party, in order to help make this the best event yet.  Due to the magnitude of this year’s event, we need to ask everyone who can to participate in the effort.

With the exception of safety boaters and first-aid, there are no requirements, so this call for volunteers goes out to boaters and non-boaters alike.  Sadly, there will be no sign up for volunteering to judge the rodeo.  You will note that jobs are divided by venue, and feel free to sign up for multiple jobs if the timing does not overlap.

So, please post on the thread below along with the job to sign up, and do let me know if there is anything I forgot.  Also, if you are signing up for a medical-related job, please state your certification so we can ensure each event is properly covered.  I will add your name to this post under the job to keep track.  This will be the official sign-up, so if you have already committed to helping (this goes out to the medical professionals who have already been contacted), please sign up here to help us keep track of things in one place.

I want to thank you all in advanced for your assistance in making the 2008 Professor Paddle Ball a great event!

Party Venue

Registration/Sales/Information
2-4 people to take shifts covering registration and sales activities (camping, beer card, tee-shirts, race participation).  Important hours to cover this function will be Friday 4p-10p, Saturday morning 8a-10a, and Saturday afternoon 4p-8p.  Please note: this role will include making sure all campers pay...

Ambre L.; Megan B.; Ashley D

Traffic Coordination
1-2 people to help coordinate parking during peak arrival hours.  We have a finite amount of parking, and will need help ensuring it is used optimally, particularly during peak arrival hours (5p-9p Friday and 3p-6p Saturday).
Yotes; J.P.

Security/Forest Fire Prevention
We are using land from a private land owner.  Having 2-4 people during the party Saturday evening to ensure that activities stay reasonable is required.  Obviously, folks signing up for this should plan on not drinking excessively.  The primary time for this job will be Saturday afternoon/evening, but some assistance may be required Friday and Sunday afternoon/evening as well.

Ashley D. (Yes, she can kick your ass)

Waste Management
4-8 people will be required to help with clean-up, both on Sunday (large clean-up effort), but also during the course of the event.  This may not seem like an important job, but it is the most critical, because if the venues are not spotless when we leave, we will not be able to use them next year.

Tom B.; Dave E.; Jon S.; J.P.

First Aid
2-3 people will be required to assist with first aid at this event.  Since the venue is the same as the big air ram, your participation in this can overlap with providing first aid at the big air event.  Coverage is necessary during festivities Saturday afternoon and evening.  Requirement: You must have relevant knowledge and/or certification (EMT, Paramedic, WFR, MD, RN etc.)

Tobin D.; Jeff D.; Roger

NOTE: We need first aid supplies if someone can help out here
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:49pm
Hey Leif,

Thanks for coordinating.

I will volunteer to help clean up trash on Sunday.

Edited by septimus prime - 02 May 2008 at 3:50pm
Jon Shell Bee
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:04pm
Leif, you know I'll help out with whatever is needed. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:11pm
Tom I want you to manage the trash, and security. Find your helpers and make er happen!
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:12pm
I'll help with the ongoing/Sunday cleanup as well as fill in gaps other places.
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:26pm
hey tradguy is the massuese going to be there again this year?
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:01am
Leif,
  I'll help out with first aid during the days, but come drinkin' time in the evening, I will have to sign off.  I can help out wherever else you need me.  Do we have any access to any type of 1st aid supplies? 
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2008 at 3:48pm
I can safety boat for the freestyle and big air..... =)
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2008 at 9:28pm
So, just to mention, we need some non-boaters to help out with traffic direction and registration...perfect jobs for folks planning to hang out at the camp site...
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2008 at 12:41pm
Sorry Justin, sorry no masssages this year. 

My wife realized that bringing here table out there was a lot more work than it was worth.  Besides, one creepy kayaker (myself) is probably more than enough. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
gloclimb
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gloclimb Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2008 at 4:03pm
Hi, Leif!  I would like to volunteer for one of the following tasks if you still need people. Let me know where I can help the most.

Coordinator for the Rodeo
First Aid for the Race
First Aid for the Rodeo

My First Aid/CPR certification is up to date, and I could provide back up for someone who has more training.  I also plan to help Tom with garbage patrol.

Thanks, Gloria  : )
kebm1979
Paddler
Paddler

Quote kebm1979 Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2008 at 7:34pm
Leif,
I can help Friday, or perhaps Saturday for a lit bit, but I really want to do the 'State Play Run' (is this really what peeps refer to it as?) on Saturday as I have never done it before.  Be nice if someone could show me down so I could see where the play is, but I am guessing it won't be too hard to find somebody at the putin?  Sunday I got plans to go to Sasquatch so no help then, but Saturday does got lots of daylight so let me know where I am needed.  
Bests,

Kristian

PS: Since I should be able to get out of work early on Friday, I could drive a couple people over than and perhaps we could sneak in a little play then?  Right now my car just got me, and the roofrack just got my lit' rad.
Everyday has at least one happy hour
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 11:09am
I'll be up friday (might even go up thursday night, although the spokane "hydrotherapy" session is mighty tempting as well. I'd definately be down for a play run on friday, but I'd like to get an Ingalls/Peshastin run in that day too.
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 11:14am
Yotes, I want to thank you for volunteering. You weren't specific as to what you wanted to do; I'll let you know shortly.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:34pm
Look, I think it's going to be a great event. I'm certainly the kind of person who chips in to help out, a "team player" when and where it counts. But honestly I don't think I'm going to lock into any rigid pre-scheduled itinerary.  I'm more of an anarchist that way.

Sorry.

Nonetheless (I can't believe that is really a word), I will participate. I'm bringing some extra water, and I intend to walk around camp with a beer in my hand bitching and complaining about how whenever you get a group larger than 10 people together garbage ends up getting littered everywhere and left behind (not unlike creeking with 10 people or more, ironicly enough).  In other words, it's simple: PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT!  Why does being surrounded by more people make anyone less responsible fo they sh*t? I'm sure I'll end up doing some cleanup by sunday no matter what.

I'll help orient people with regards to parking somewhat, again, as long as I have a beer in my hand and someone to yell at. 

Ya know, the bottom line is, anything I say on this site should be taken with at LEAST a grain of salt, but I will help out.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:37pm
Oh yeah!! Maybe I should volunteer for first aid at the Ramp-o-Rama. James, you HAVE to call it "Ramp-O-Rama", don't you think?

Anyway, I'll watch. That sh*t's crazy!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:52pm
I know you are a bit of an anarchist JP, but I did add you to the list.  You might think folks would pack stuff out, but you should have seen Oly's place Sunday morning after everyone took off...  I put you down on the parking detail, we just need to make sure people maximize the use of our available space.
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 10:49pm
you put me on the list... didnt you?
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2008 at 5:23pm

That's cool, Lief. Just be forwarned that my FREE SPIRITED TOM SAWYER nature may make it tough for me to COMPLY with any RIGID schedule or Itinerary.

I mean, my first job ever, was Whitewater Raft Guide. Need I say more? I'm STILL trying to discover what a work ethic is. Mama Don't let yer babies grow up to be raft guides...

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2008 at 9:34am
Bump...

We still need volunteers for the event.  We are in particularly desperate need of a few folks to staff the registration booth (and sell tee shirts)...

- Leif
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2008 at 6:30pm
Posting again to get this back on the PP home page thread list...we still could use a few more volunteers.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2008 at 6:47pm
too bad, so sad... I'm just coming to drink beer and throw wood on the fire. 
oh, and maybe dip a paddle blade.... 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2008 at 6:45pm
I'm pretty much with you, Mike. I mean, I will help out spontaneaously, but, I already see my name chiseled into the web, here, and it's... well, don't be dissapointed if I'm out paddling most of the time, and hanging out by the fire most of the rest of the time.

I will contribute with garbage clean-up only by picking up after myself. If I can do that, so can everyone else. Pack it in, pack it out. The funny thing is, the more shit you pack in, the more shit you have to pack out. Hmm. Imagine that.

Still, I intend on providing some hors d'ovres (sounds dirty) and I'm bringing some extra water. I also plan on helping out a few people who may need relief from this or that. That's as specific as I can be at time.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
oliver
Paddler
Paddler

Quote oliver Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 8:16pm
Hi Leif,

Do you still need volunteers?

I have seen that there is only one person down for safety
on Icicle creek.
I could help out there.
Either throw bag or safety boating.

For the safety boating, however, I have to say that I am new in Seattle and  have
never done the creek myself.
If there is a big pool, I can sit in there with my boat and pick out stuff that comes down,
but other than that I'll probably be more useful outside of a boat.

-Oliver

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version