Professor Paddle: To Face Mask or Not - That is the Question vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: To Face Mask or Not - That is the Question Post Reply Post New Topic
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arnobarno Replybullet Topic: To Face Mask or Not - That is the Question
    Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 5:45pm
I'd like to solicit opinions on face masks.  My wife, Deborah, literally "took it on the chin" this weekend.  She'll be fine but it got us thinking about face masks.  I hadn't really given it much thought before this weekend but saw Kyle with one this weekend and Otterboy with a face mask as well during previous outings.

Now then, her accident was on the way over - if she had been over and in setup position, she would have been fine - just a bump somewhere less exposed.  But, it seemed a face mask would certainly have helped her yesterday.

In doing some research on the web, there really aren't many helmets with face masks.  This made me question why - visibility, snagging concerns, etc.  Clearly, snagging underwater is way worse than a busted nose or bruised jaw. 

A quick note to our helmet manufacturer (WRSI) solicited a reply that they are indeed looking into a face mask but it will be 2008 at the earliest before they have one.  I see that Shred Ready sells a LeKtor Protector which seems to "solve" the snagging problem with a break-away chin guard/mask.  And, Deborah only had nightmares for a week after watching "Silence of the Lambs" so this would allow her to relive that pleasant memory every time she boats.

So, this is a long way of asking the question - to face mask or not to face mask?  And, if you are face masking, which is working for you.  And, do you know of any good retrofits for a WRSI helmet.

Thanks for your responses.
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 5:54pm
I used a face mask when I started out.  It made me a lot more comfortable in shallower rivers.  Now I only use it on more bouldery, continuous whitewater, but I like having it around just in case I feel the need.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 6:03pm
For me I think I will keep going without one. Until either a. I get hammered in the face, or b. I see my buddies get hammered in the face.
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 6:47pm

I had a friend in the southeast that had one of these.  They seem to be pretty solid helmets, though I've never tried one on.  The people I knew that had them liked them.

Jimmy
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 7:52pm
I played Lacrosse at PLU and I swear the my helmet was the "Cascade" model in the previous post.
myak
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote myak Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 7:54pm

while boating last sunday, I had some funk laid down on me and took a shot full on in the face mask, without one, for sure blood. I am glad to have one on my lid ...hoov

Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 8:02pm
I saw the ill fated flip, and I do not think a face mask would have prevented  the blow to Deborah's chin. A chin strap might have helped. The rock probably would have come up under it andnailed her in the chin anyways. I decided to put a face mask on my to protect my face and eye sockets. Pretty much everything else is fixable. My face mask isn't made for a specific helmet. If you put a few washers on the front of your helmet it would fit over your helmet's plastic lips and fit correctly.

Kyle
I smell bacon
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 10:08pm
I think I've chimed in here before on this topic, but I'm a big proponent of full face masks so I'll recommend them.  I have the FNA X-Stream made in BC and it's saved my jawbone twice. Of course, I came from Colorado where in most runs, you are destined to get pummeled with sharp rocks half the time you roll over.  I use a normal helmet on class III/IV play runs and most big water stuff. 

Their spendy, but worth it...and the chin probably would have been fine with the FNA versus the cage type Kyle is referring to.  The only downside is communication is harder (supposedly the lector helmet corrects that, but a large part of the communication issue is being able to see the mouth move which that doesn't help with.)  I wouldn't worry about snagging as there has been no known reports of that happening to anyone.

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 10:49pm
Thanks for all of the replies so far.  I've continued to do some reading on BoaterTalk and other forums and the snagging issue indeed seems to be a red-herring.  Lots of things to potentially snag (pfds, etc.) and no known face mask snags.  And no death by getting head ripped off reports.  Not that it couldn't happen but probably a red-herring.

It really seems that those that have been injured or know someone injured are passionate about full face protection and others are willing to take their chances.  Now then, that is all fine, for sure.  Your face, your risk calculation - hey, I'm a libertarian!

Now then, I'm also an avid mountain biker and I've seen this same "protection calculus" in the mountain bike world.  At first it wasn't cool or you didn't look good in photos or it was really unlikely to be a problem because of your skill level.  But in 2006, it is rare to see a serious downhill guy out there now without serious full face protection (among other things).

But I digress... back to kayaking helmets - sorry.

Kyle - I'm not sure that the cage you have will work on my helmet.  There is a lip that protrudes a good amount on the WRSI helmet that may make it awkward without *VERY* large washers.  We'll see - I'm going to check out your cage tomorrow in Issaquah (I think you said it is the one that Kayak Academy sells - correct me please if I'm mistaken).

Now then, I'm not against buying a new helmet, just figuring out what to buy is also difficult.  The FNA x-stream or Storm Trooper both look like they provide excellent coverage for the chin and would reduce the overall facial exposure considerably overall.  Any idea who sells these locally if we wanted to try them on?  FNA's web site is pretty lame so it is difficult to get more info.  Any other helmet suggestions?

Thanks.  Arn
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 8:14am
Just my little bit of advice on full coverage helmets:

I would not get a cage. It means that the helmet you are using probably was not meant for that kind of coverage (I also heard of someone getting their cage caught in a bush once...but that is just hear-say).

Go for all out safety and get the FNA helmet or something similar. I know the Shred Ready Lektor Protector is good to go as well.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version