Professor Paddle: Matheny!! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Matheny!! Post Reply Post New Topic
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Online Status: Offline
  Quote franzhorner Replybullet Topic: Matheny!!
    Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 12:50pm
We got room for one or maybe two in Big Red if anyone wants to go to Matheny Creek.  We will leave later this evening from Ballard and get over there late tonite.  There will be plenty of water for  lower/middle runs but we are also hoping the Queets comes up to about 8K or so for the Upper!  I will be riding bike shuttle!

Anyone want to join us?  We could use one more for our group or squeeze two to make the gas really cheap...

We will camp tonite and tomorrow  with full ktchen and outfitter wing for dinner and fire tomorrow eve...

Give a call or send message if you are interested...

Horner
two zero six, six nine six, one one nine five...
MORE RAIN PLEASE
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 8:25am
snow, rain, sleet, hail, sunshine, cloudy, Freezing, Melting, Drying and Soaked.

That weekend pretty much had it all, what a blast! Thanks Franzie
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 11:23am
Great trip!!
We MUST find out about the access to the Upper.  There's got to be a number or somebody we can call to get permission to go up there...I want that upper section bad!!
The lower would be a lot of fun too with some more water eh??
Horner
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 4:38pm
I don't really know but I've heard that the only way to get to the upper is a hike in. the road might be washed out.
RPMMAX
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote RPMMAX Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 5:00pm
What was the problem/ Why couldn't you get to the upper??

Bill pett
RPMMAX@juno.com
RPMMAX
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 5:36pm
Hey just talked to Bill (RPMMAX) Apparently that gate is fine to drive through. I don't recall the exact verbiage that was used on the sign but it was more or less "No Public Access, Gate Closes and Locks at any time"

That was enough to scare us off. I just put a question into Thomas O'Keefe to see if he has any info on this and I will post the response when I get it.

On a side note, Matheny was a very scenic run, and luckily we did not get as wet as Horner crossing the creek to Sam's.... Apparently from Bill the hike in to Sam's was another 2 or so miles from that creek!!!!

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 6:06pm
Definitely a problem there.... From Tom OKeefe in an email a few minutes ago, "The district Ranger assured me they would keep it open on weekends" and that is the same thing that Bill told me on the phone.

Sounds like they are either trying to scare folks off with a nasty sign or access has recently become more complicated, or perhaps that sign should just be revised... Bill take a Magic Marker up there on your next run and apply correction!
RPMMAX
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote RPMMAX Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 6:29pm
If anyone does go to Matheny just be pleasant we don't want to piss off the ranger. That could cause them to keep us out.

Bill RPMMAX@juno.com
RPMMAX
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 8:18pm

okay, that makes sense. you just have to be there on the weekends. any idea for what flow to look for? in relation to the queets gauge?

RPMMAX
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote RPMMAX Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 9:48pm
If your just asking whats the minimium then you can do it very low.
Matheny, Tshletshy, and the Sams all flow into the Queets plus many other smaller creeks.
4000 cfs on the Queets is quite OK, however you can do it lower and a lot higher.
There is a large rock river left under the bridge. Based on how much is showing will tell you a lot.
With a foot or so exposed is an OK level. If there is a lot of the rock exposed I look upstream river right at a flat rock. If there is 4 inches of water over this rock then the river is runable. If it exposed then it would be very low.
Matheny Creek is a very nice run.

RPMMAX
RPMMAX
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 10:11pm
In another email from Tom he mentioned a webpage that has information on FR2160 and the general area here is a update from it:

FS Road #2160 Lower Matheny CLOSED on WEEKDAYS per 36 CFR 261.54 (a) MP 2.0
Conditions: OPEN on WEEKENDS.   Expect some debris on the road. High clearance vehicles are recommended.

Remarks:     Contact Graeme Ton @ (360) 374-1240 for further closure information.

Oh and it goes without saying that we should be very courteous to everyone that is working up there!

Edited by James - 31 Mar 2008 at 10:13pm
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 10:36am
Great info re the roads -- am I reading this correctly?  Sounds like it's possible, on the weekends, to drive to the middle putin, from which you can hike to the upper putin?

And for Sam's, it's a 2 mile hike to the putin. 

Anyone know about the Sam's takeout? 

Also, what is the official status on the 2160 spur?  Is it legal to drive, or not?  Is that sign just BS, or are the rangers letting us in somewhere we're not supposed to be?  seems odd ...
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 12:18pm
Last year in April, we didn't even need to hike to the Upper put-in.  There is a bridge that goes over a small creek (might be NF Matheny, it is mentioned in the write-up).  This is where the road ended for us last April.  The bridge wasn't out but blocked by a huge pile of dirt.  From this bridge we hiked down to the river, just above the confluence rapid that is the first on Upper Matheny creek.  It should be noted that to get to the Upper put in, there were many abandonded culvert  "dips" that require a car with some clearnance.  Driving slow helps up there. 

As for correlation to the Queets gauge all I can say is that we ran Upper Matheny between 7500-8000K on the Queets.  The water was barely splashing over the rock mentioned in a previous post on this thread.  This was enough for Iking but I think a hardsheller wouldn't have had such a good time.  I would say more like 10K on the Queets would be good for the Upper for hardshellers...

Maybe if we head up past the gate we should leave a note telling them there are kayakers in there and not to lock it on us.  I'm glad we can still go up there!!!

I love Matheny Creek!!!!!  If its up...I'm there...
MORE RAIN PLEASE
okeefe
Paddler
Paddler

Quote okeefe Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 9:50pm
Here's the story on Matheny:

I had a good chat this morning with the USFS contact who works with the folks who have the timber contract. I've gotten a little bit worked up over this one because I worked with the Congressional delegation on securing funds for repair of this road. It's incredibly frustrating that they would open it up to a timber contract and then close the road to the public as soon as it was fixed.

The contractor is supposed to cover the sign on weekends and leave the gate unlocked (he may leave it in a closed position). The USFS has apologized for the inconvenience and the fact that they did not catch the fact that it is important to the whitewater community when they issued the contract for the timber sale (I had provided comments on our use in previous correspondence with USFS but this was missed).

Thanks James for bringing this to my attention. The good news is the fully open to the public by October 1, 2008. If anyone encounters additional issues with this road please contact me.
Thomas O'Keefe
PNW Stewardship Director
American Whitewater
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 10:15pm
Thanks for clearing that up!
franzhorner