Professor Paddle: Clark Fork Yellowstone Box vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Clark Fork Yellowstone Box Post Reply Post New Topic
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Online Status: Offline
  Quote slickhorn Replybullet Topic: Clark Fork Yellowstone Box
    Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 11:15am
Great new TR on Rackley of the Clark Fork Box. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23638979/

Does anyone know the title of the piece Yvonne Chiounard wrote about the first D of this run?  Always wanted to read it, never been able to find it ...

Edited by slickhorn - 24 Mar 2008 at 11:31am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
cronar
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote cronar Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 11:25am
Hey Brian, the Clarks Fork doesn't have a Box section.  The Clark Fork of the Yellowstone, however does.  There's a few hundred miles and a continental divide separating the two.  Next I'm going to ask you to point out Montana on a map.

-N

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 11:30am
maybe that's why my google searches for the book never turn up. 

I know where Montana is!  It's near South Dakota, which is not nearly as close to pakistan as idahoans seem to think ...  lol my bad
toddg
Paddler
Paddler

Quote toddg Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by cronar

Hey Brian, the Clarks Fork doesn't have a Box section.  The Clark Fork of the Yellowstone, however does.  There's a few hundred miles and a continental divide separating the two.  Next I'm going to ask you to point out Montana on a map.

-N

actually, you are wrong.

there are two rivers -- both spending part of their time in MT & both named after william clark of lewis/clark fame -- that are commonly confused: 

1. the clark fork river (no "s"), a relatively flat river which flows nw thru missoula & into idaho;

2. the clark's fork of the yellowstone (with a possessive "s", & usually referred to as simply the clarks fork), which flows south, then east, then north off the beartooth plateau, outta cooke city, past cody & up toward billings. it would be incorrect to refer to this river as either "the clark fork" or "the clark fork of the yellowstone".

so, brian was in fact referring to the correct river that is home to the box canyon, the best whitewater in the rockies.

PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 11:52am

I've read that before, what a ballsy first d.  There's an excerpt in Montana Surf, but the full write-up I read was either an online version from the AW magazine archives or it was in a book Chouinard wrote.  I'll try to confirm later.

cronar
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote cronar Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 12:31pm
Todd, while I appreciate your opinion, I being a native of MT we referred to the Clark Fork through Missoula as the Clarks Fork (notice no possesion) and the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone as the Clark Fork of the Yellowstone.  We also call the Absorka mountains near there the Absorkee mountains.  So while Brian may have in fact stated as out of staters do, I put it as the local population does and in the dialect of how I grew up.  Perhaps a parenthetical would have been in order in this case.  So I'll go with both being right.  But I think we can all agree it's some stout water in The Box.
-N
spilly
Paddler
Paddler

Quote spilly Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 2:08pm
A relative of mine wrote this in American Whitewater about his attempt at a first descent on this part of the river.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Journal_show-page_issue_1_year_1977_page_28_
Sarah
toddg
Paddler
Paddler

Quote toddg Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 2:11pm
Fair enough dude, I'll defer to your local nomenclature knowledge .. but .. in the interest of healthy interweb debating & wasting some more valuable work time, consider ...

Anyone I've ever paddled that river with call it the Clarks Fork. My friends in Cody, Red Lodge, Billings & Bozeman all call it the Clarks Fork...  These dudes are the local population.  It's listed as the Clark's Fork on AW & by the USGS.  And in the MT guidebook (written by Montanans).  And in the Encyclopedia Brittanica. The diner up there with the kickass pie by the put-in for the Box / takeout for Honeymooner is the Clarks Fork & Spoon -- of course that's out of state, in Wyoming, where the Box Canyon actually is -- so maybe it's more of a MT vs. Wyo thing?

But then a quick Googlin' shows that the whole World Wides of Web, as well as MT local businesses including flyfishing shops call it the Clark's Fork. 

Parentheses would've helped, but you could also just restate your original comment as "Hey Brian, you're perpetuating the correct nomenclature of a river that my friends & I would rather you refer to as the Clark Fork of the Yellowstone"  

BTW, the town of Absorkee has great, cheap burgers & shakes at a drive-in staffed by deadly-cute local jailbait ... East Rosebud's a fun run..

Cheers,
t

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 7:38pm
Well, since the ClarkS Fork of the Yellowstone  STILL ranks as my favorite run ON THIS PLANET, I simply can't help but weigh in. When I was there living in Bozeman in the 90's those of us paddling the Box were quite careful and specific to annunciate the "S" in "ClarkS Fork of the Yellowstone", to distinguish it from Missoula's "Clark Fork" river.

That, as has been stated, is how each blue line is named on the maps. The ultimate authority, I think it's fair to say. The box is basicly a Wyoming run, accessed through Montana and the Sunlight Basin.

Please allow me to wax poetic, as never had my aerated eyes beheld such beauty in all of its granite bound, emerald, diamond encrusted, terrible splendor!

Giant handholds to assist Paul Bunion
Take care lest even he
Cut his hand upon the sheared  fragments
high above HER muscular ribbons!

Higher still
In the forest where mortal men
must labor to continue their downstream progress
avoiding the den
of the Green Monster
Juicy dragonfly panic stricken
writhes in thin air
the invisible trap realized too late
within  the swift opportunity of the spider's preparation

Back down to the boulder strewn riverbank
And into her voluptuous embrace
the power of a hundred oxen
the gravitas of a dozen tragedies
the constriction of Kali's thighs
the sparkle of a thousand diamonds
in clouds of water illuminated
by rare shafts of sunshine
adorned with rainbows
made brighter still by corridors
of cold darkness
sensuous curves of her secret habitat
eclipse her emerald depths

There are trap doors to other worlds
underwater tunnels
Charon himself would fear to navigate
Rooms and Chambers
That reduce the bravest of men to crying infants
deceptive passages that seduce young daredevils
only to dash their skulls

O.k. Sorrry  I can't help but get carried away. Suffice to say I've seen a LOT of shit go down in there for the few runs I made there. several harrowing rescues, a few nasty injuries, and a couple of bonafied near death situations.

I'm sure there's a lot more people running it these days. If you haven't been and want to go, don't take it lightly. Only go with someone who's truly intimate with the Box, and you really want every link in the chain (group wise) to be solid. Too big of group can really fuck you in there too.
Having said that, it's pretty magnificent, and the whitewater is high quality if you run it when it's got some push. I never felt that the mankier water levels were appropriate to really enjoy the run. You want some frothy power.

Edited by wetmouse - 27 Mar 2008 at 7:42pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 7:38am
Originally posted by spilly

A relative of mine wrote this in American Whitewater about his attempt at a first descent on this part of the river.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Journal_show-page_issue_1_year_1977_page_28_

Wow! Awesome! A great story and I can't believe somebody C-1'ed it. And the others were in Hollowforms! Holy crap. Good stuff.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 8:37am
nice words jp.  thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version