Professor Paddle: Waterproof Digital cameras.. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Waterproof Digital cameras.. Post Reply Post New Topic
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jeff Replybullet Topic: Waterproof Digital cameras..
    Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 2:22pm
My digital camera is slowly making it's way to the great electronics graveyard in the sky and I want to replace it with something new and shiny, and waterproof.  What are peoples thoughts on brand, price, quality, etc. for the waterproof digital cameras on the market?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 3:03pm
Hey man,

I've got a Pentax W20 (last year's model). It takes really quality pictures and is totally waterproof. I keep mine looped around my pfd and inside a pocket in my drytop. The one thing that I've noticed is that on cold days when I pull the camera out intially since it's close to my body then exposed to the cold the lens fogs up.  However, this only makes a difference if I'm trying to take picture from my boat. Usually if I get out and try to get a good shot it comes out really well.  There's a newer version of the Pentax this year called the W30, my buddy has one and it takes really amazing shots.

I know Olympus also makes a waterproof camera you may want to check out. I've never used it though so I'm not sure how quality it is.  Whatever you get try putting rainex on the lens to fight off water dropplets.  I hear the W30 does a lot better at not collecting water on the lens.

Shot below is Ben Wartburg running Tunnel Chute on the MF American.

Paul
27/320 & 1 bootie
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 3:07pm
Pentax Optio is a pretty good pic.

I have one, most of the boaters I know have em and they seem to hold up pretty well. The one thing I say over and over again is that you should buy your camera from a chain camera store in person. More importantly you should but it from a camera store with technicians onsite. Stores like Wolf, Kits and Ritz etc.... offer replacement and warranties that others do not, and when it comes to water and electronics it is a good idea to back your investment up.

I know that most of the models are sold for around 200 - 400 bucks.
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 3:26pm
I just got the Hero3 helmet/ anything mounted digital cam. Don't buy it. The cold of sking nukes it in less than 2 min. No display. Crap.

Ryan's optio seems sweet ( a little sluggish on the action shots).
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 4:14pm
I purchased a Pentax Optio W-20 a year and a half ago with the extended warranty ( I strongly recomend it) I had it replaced a few months ago under the warranty.
  The replacement camera was the W-30, the differences are subtle, but worth looking into.
  As far as brand, for picture and video quality I really prefer the Pentax, the downside of it compaired to the Olympus is the amount of frames taken in rapid shoot mode.
  I can only get mine to take a max of about 5 pictures, where as the Olympus will continue to take frames as long as the shutter is depressed.  I think it is an internal memory thing. If it is adjustable I dont know how to do it.
  I loop the strap of my camera through my helmet strap and tuck the camera in the gusset pocket of my drytop neck. It protects it well and is very easy to get out for the carnage shots.
  Hope this helps Peace

Sure?
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 4:56pm
I got the extended warranty from Kitz Camera on my Optio W-20 because when I was talking to the girl about it I said, "So, basically if I run over the camera with my truck... a couple times... and then bring it in to you, you'll give me a new one no questions asked?" Her response: "Yes. A lady ran over one with an ATV earlier this year and we gave her a brand new one." Sold.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 5:38pm

Sea & Sea DX-1G 10 mp Digital Underwater Camera

Check out this bad boy!

http://www.waterproofcameras.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SS06581

Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 5:52pm
I have a W20, and am very impressed...however...

Does anyone know of a waterproof camera that shoots 720p or 1080p HD video?
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 6:02pm
I have an Olympus 720, and cannot say enough good things about it.

I have used it for two plus years now of kayaking and police work. It has been dropped, kicked, hit, stepped on, submersed, bounced around on rough roads at high speeds. It still works like a champ!

Mount Vernon PD started issuing 720's to their officers last spring. With over 40 camera's in the field everyday they have yet to replace or repair one camera.

The down side to this camera is that the auto focus is on the slow side, and the power button likes to turn itself on when it is in a pocket.

Battery life is good. Between work and kayaking I only need to charge it once every two or three weeks.

Kyle
I smell bacon
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 6:55pm
I've also got the Olymplus 720 and it's great - waterproof and shockproof and takes pretty amazing photos. 
Haven't tried the others...

Dan

p.s. I can't watch Tobin's video's because I need some special codec or something, so don't get the one he's got. 
Life is short, paddle hard!
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 7:03pm
Dan,
  It's not rocket science if I can figure it out,  its a Divx codec, free and should be auto loaded when your vid doesn't play.

Sure?
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 7:23pm
That Sea & Sea dx-1g 10mp earth modguelator Is wicked sick, but I'll have save up for a year or two to afford that sexy machine !!!
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 1:41am
HOLY S*^T Paul,  That pic is SICK!  I got scared (ok, and a little bit o' wood) just sitting at my computer!  Thanks for all the advice peeps!  Now it's time to start saving up some dough!
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 10:45am
I have a W20 and it works good.  I think the picture quality has diminished since I bought it but it's still good. 

I treat mine terribly and expect to buy a new one at the end of this summer.  I think you can expect to get 2 seasons max out of it.  If you take better care of it it may last longer.

Oh and turn digital zoom off b/c it's worthless.
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 9:31am
So... It's not waterproof, until you buy a case for it, but I've got a Canon Digital Elph, which is an amazing point & shoot camera, and a special made waterproof case for it. The pictures come out fantastic, which I have heard is not so with some of the waterproof cameras. The waterproof case is the way to go. They're a bit pricey, but when you can take a fantastic camera with you instead of one of those pentax whatevers, pictures come out SO MUCH BETTER. I've played with both. And the case isnt too bulky, I stick it inside my lifejacket and forget its there.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 9:33am
PS- I don't remember exactly, but I want to say its 4 years old, and still taking better pictures than most?
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Christian
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Christian Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 10:03am
Video - anybody use the Sanyo waterproof Video?

http://www.sanyodigital.com/e1.aspx

about $500...

(I've got the W20, love it, had the 720, returned it, and have the W30 at work - worth the upgrade)...
Ik'er
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Ik'er Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 1:03pm
I have been using the original Pentax Optio Wpi for about two years now and although it does take some nice pictures once in awhile I am usually frustrated by blurry and or images obscured by fog/water droplets on the lens. However I recently purchased the Olympus 790SW in hopes of getting better images in low light and motion shots but after having the camera out for a weekend those hopes were quickly erased. The camera took awful grainy shots (regardless of any setting) that reminded me of one of my first digitials from about 7 years ago, needless to say I returned the Olympus and will keep using the Pentax until Cannon or someone else can introduce a worthwhile competitor to the Optio.
Moon
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Moon Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 1:16pm
You all should check out the VIO POV.1 helmet cam.

Available at EVO Gear.... Fully digital, waterproof and KICK ASS
paddlefoo
Paddler
Paddler

Quote paddlefoo Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 5:17pm
I have done a fair bit of research on this topic myself and didn't really like what I found.  One thing that you can do is go to Amazon.com and pull up each model of these waterproof cameras.  There are a lot of reviews from tons of users...none of them get very good reviews. 

I opted to buy the camera that I wanted and stick it in a Pelican case until there are better options on the market.

Good Luck
jerryclayross
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jerryclayross Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 5:55pm
so I have a olympus 770 that I'm going to be selling in about a month or so.  I don't know if you are interested at all, but...

I had a problem with it fogging up initially and have sent it in to get fixed under the warranty.  like some have said above it is an amazing camera.  will take a hit, water, freezing cold temps.  I bought another because I was in south america and couldn't get this one repaired, so now I'm going to have 2.  they tend to go for over $300 so I'll sell you mine for $200 if you're at all interested.

ust thought I'd throw it out there
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 9:20pm
The Optio W20 I have takes great pictures and good video.  From what I can tell, the W30 model is not a substantial upgrade.

I'd love to find something waterproof that shoots 1080p h.264 to SD...

Edited by leifkirchoff - 18 Feb 2008 at 9:22pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version