Professor Paddle: Pickup Truck Racks vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Pickup Truck Racks Post Reply Post New Topic
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ryan Replybullet Topic: Pickup Truck Racks
    Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 1:39pm
I am looking for a better rack solution for my truck.  It's an older Toyota with a canopy.

I talked to some Bellingham guys up in BC this summer that had a great simple rack built by someone local up there.  There were even holds to put mountain bikes on the side.

It was simple but looked like it worked great.  Both the guys said they were real happy with them.

Any B'hamers know what I'm talking about? 

I'd love an excuse to head up north, drop of the truck, run horseshoe bend and get a sweet rack built!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 2:18pm
I am just going to throw this out there for all the people that are doing rack research.

I am in the midst of it too. If your not Leif or willing to drop a few K on a custom rack here is a sweet alternative.

Contracter Kargo Master racks. They make them in sizes for just about every pickup, canopy or no canopy and for vans too. I am buying one this weekend for less than $500 bucks!!!!

Quick Pic of a kargo master... Click for our local craigslist search of available racks.

Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 2:48pm
I checked this out for a while but the one that fits a small pickup with an extra tall canopy is their top of the line rack plus extenders and over $1,000.  
Capt. Bill
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Capt. Bill Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:29pm
Is your canopy strong enough to mount a rack on it?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 6:52pm
Ryan, You could pretty cheaply add a lot of usefulness to your current set-up by adding some angle iron between the bedrails and the canopy so that you have a step to work from.  Otherwise, unless you go with a construction truck ladder rack, you are looking at a custom rack, which as mentioned before can be pretty expensive but lets you get exactly what you want.  I've seen the ones that have bike racks on the sides and they are pretty nice.  If you decide to go the custom route, let me know and I can give you some pointers from when I did mine.

Dave
Moon
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Moon Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 4:01pm
I have a tacoma with tall canopy and a cargo master rack (like pictured) on it.  It did run about a grand but it has been awesome.  We can put our fully inflated cataraft on the rack and drive 65mph no problem.... we rock 2 wide boxes for big ski trips in the winter by using pipe clamps instead of Thule brackets.

It's like a drysuit.... buy once, buy the best!!

Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 8:38am
I know those are the greatest racks ever and all but I'm really interested in the racks I saw on a couple B-hammers trucks up at the Upper Check takeout/campground.

Anyone know about these?
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 9:29am
Hey Ryan, I don't think that those racks were actually b-hammers.  If it's the one I think your talking about. 
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version