Professor Paddle: Full Moon Snowshoeing vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Full Moon Snowshoeing Post Reply Post New Topic
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Topic: Full Moon Snowshoeing
    Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 5:22pm
You snowshoers should get up there. Looks clear and nice with a bright full moon overhead!
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 4:12pm
I might be out there tonight or tomorrow
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 5:07pm
James if you're going tomorrow around 5 or so I'd love to hook up. Call me if you're going.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 6:21pm
I will give you a call tomorrow afternoon. I am going to head up to the pass at around 6 or so.

I don't get off till 4:30 and I like to have a bite before I go. We should either meet up in Renton or North Bend. I take 18 out.

J
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 7:16pm
yeah, let's meet in N Bend. I'm leaving from Montlake in Seattle. If you want to meet up for food on the way I'm in. Let me know.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 2:22pm
So here's the planski

Were going to hit up the circuit tonight and do a little snow shoen... I am meeting Brett at the safeway in North Bend at 6:30ish... If your in call me or meet there at that time.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 10:31am
Just a quick re-cap of last night.

A few brave souls met up at the alpental exit last night for what was the coldest evening I have ever experienced at the circuit.

The night started with a blazing ascent of tumble slope. We really ripped up there, mainly because we were all so cold. Once at the top we regained our warmth and started the move up the creek. I watched D1 and Fish cross the log and jump off right in the middle because there was so much snow... it was great... no worries there.

So we keep doing our normal jumps and at every big mound fish is going ... is this the biggest jump on the run.... So after 3 or 4 big jumps we come to the plank, and fish again asks... is this the biggest jump on the run... we all walk the plank and then come to Omega which was currently the biggest safe jump on the run. Me and Fish span the gap and then at the bottom fish says.... was that the biggest jump on the run?....

Finally me and Dave are like yea that was the biggest jump on the run, and luckily just below is "park yer butt", daves favorite spot to sit and enjoy the view. Park yer butt is a nice little snow ledge you can sit on that goes right to the lip of a 10 foot slide falls. At the bottom is a pool,  a pool we thought was only like waste deep.

So me and dave are chillin sharin a beer when all of a sudden fish gets up and says check this out. He cruises up and around to the other side of the river which is a gorged wall thats like a 80-90% grade and from the top like 30 feet above the pool he yells... how deep do you think that pool is?

Me and dave are like dood... that is crazy... but the pool is only like waste deep ....

Then fish yells... do you think I will be able to stop......

Me and dave are like... dood that is crazy... you will have to land fully planted and arrested or your going in!!!

I figured he would come back down and then all of a sudden off the lip of this mount he goes down like 20 feet onto the slope creating a small avalanche that slides him and a good portion of the wall right into the pool below.....

Once in the pool fish totally goes under the water and then pops back up and swims to the side...... with frozen shrieks me and dave scramble to the banks where we tried to help fish climb out.

All I can say is that was not only the biggest drop I have seen on the circuit... I don't think anyone will ever come close to that one again... I know I won't!!!

So if your looking for dinner tonight and you wanna just eat it good....

Head up to the circuit because there is a special on frozen fish!!!
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 11:06am
Is fitw or franklin's the circuit?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 11:19am
It is above both FITW and Franklins....

We have established 3 different quality hikes in this area.
1. The Circuit. - Start heading NE from the alpental exit parking your car at the snowed in turn to FITW. Your basically hiking into the headwaters of the s. fork.

2. The lower circuit - Start from the bridge where The Circuit ends. Head down stream bounding different boulders until you come to the freeway overpass just above FITW proper. - Nice Short fun hike.

3. FITW hike - Basically hike along the FITW run turning around at franklin falls.

ordered by quality
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 12:16pm
First off, thanks to James and Dave!  without their help and quick thinking things would have really sucked, lol

Last night was epic!!!   The jump was HUGE. and the landing was the steep and very far away.  Thinking the water was only 6-8 inches deep,  i  at worst   expected to be wet and run back to the car,   as we were almost finished anyway.  When i ended up in the frozen creek i extended my legs expecting to stand,  i was terrified to find out the water was over my head,  and i was swimming in snow shoes.

I swam through the ice to the side,  but was so weighed down from 3 layers of wet clothes and show shoes,  i could barley keep my head above the frozen water. i was reaching for the side to pull my self out,  but the ice was breaking away and i was walled in by snow.  There was no way to pull myself out of the frozen water.

After a few minutes of being submerged they were finally able to pull me out of the water, the air temp was around 20 degrees and my clothes had frozen stiff by the time we reached the cars.   Pretty epic evening, i'm convinced that my conditioning to cold water kept me awake and able to hike out unassisted.  Not sure how long i was swimming  for... felt like forever

Edited by Fish - 24 Jan 2008 at 12:30pm
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 12:47pm
That sounds like class V snowshoeing.  Dayum.
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 2:07pm
Flying Fish?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 10:36am
Gonna get Fish a cape with a superhero insignia!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 8:27pm
Holy crap! I have done those jumps too and have great respect for the chances we take up there. I keep telling James that one of these days someone is going under. It just sends chills up my spine thinking about it! 
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version