Professor Paddle: First kill all the lawyers?? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: First kill all the lawyers?? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arnobarno Replybullet Topic: First kill all the lawyers??
    Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 5:31pm
Saw what is copied below in the newspaper today.  Obviously, this is a personal tragedy for this woman and it is hard not to feel sorry for her situation.

BUT, where is personal responsibility?  Do stories and accidents like this lead to less access to rivers in general?

And, my quote from Shakespeare notwithstanding, the lawyer is (probably) only responding to market demand.

Clearly, as paddlers, I expect most people would say that they expect to take responsibility for their actions and would never think about suing a city, state, etc. if an accident occurred.  But, what about in other aspects of your life.

What do folks think?

Bellingham sued over swimming hole injury

By The Associated Press

BELLINGHAM — The city of Bellingham has been sued by a woman who was paralyzed in a fall at a popular swimming hole.

The lawsuit filed last month says the city knew the whirlpool area of Whatcom Falls Park was used by swimmers and failed to post conspicuous warning signs.

Katie Hofstetter fell two years ago while climbing on rocks and broke her back, leaving her without the use of her legs. The suit seeks money for her medical care and disability.

The city parks operations manager, Marvin Harris, says large signs near the park entrances advise there are no designated swimming areas. He says smaller signs inside the park have been torn down.

Firefighters have rescued injured people from the creek five times in the past two years.

arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 6:20pm
She's so stupid. She should've sued the rocks and the river. Swimmers are dumb. When did common sense leave this country, anyway?
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 7:21pm
Just hearing about this makes me want to go swim there! Can I sue the press for informing me about the swimming hole after I get hurt, I would have never swam there if they hadn't advertised it as a swimming hole. (Stupid Press)
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 8:10pm
Brett - Are you saying I'm dumb?
Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 9:24pm
Good one Leif. I like it!
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by leifkirchoff

Brett - Are you saying I'm dumb?

Ummm? 
Sure?
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 10:04pm
Our society tends to not let us take personal responsibility.  Hence all the labels on things like window cleaner telling you not to spray it in your eyes etc.  Hopefully the courts in Bellingham will see through this shallow case.
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 11:08pm
We've got a similar case developing here in the tri-cities.  The family of the kid who drowned in the culvert at beer falls is suing the kennewick irrigation district for not having warning signs telling people not to swim through the culvert.  This was the same incident that cause the KID to fill in the pool at beer falls, ruining the great park and play spot that was 5 minutes from my apartment.
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 9:18am
on a side note, there is some video of big bad devin smith running that same drop that the chick got messed up on.  chris t made the video.  it comes at 1:35 in the clip.  the rest is just good ole' b-ham whitewater....

j

Edited by jondufay - 11 Dec 2007 at 9:19am
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
hardboof
Paddler
Paddler

Quote hardboof Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 11:16am
First, kill all stupid people. Second, kill all money groveling PI lawyers. These are the kind of cases I defend against. You think this is bad? Sadly, this case has stronger legs than most we see where folks go after deep pockets to profit from thier own stupidity. Deep pockets is not even the word for it. As the defense of this lawsuit is inevtibly paid by us the tax payers, its an attack on multiple shallow pockets.
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 11:44am
As I said in my initial post, I don't think that lawyers, in general, are really the problem here and I'd view you as the good guy if you are defending against this nonsense.

Why do you think this case has stronger legs than most?

Edited by arnobarno - 11 Dec 2007 at 11:44am
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 11:55am
I'm leaving to try out that swimming hole right now! I really need the money, is this a sure thing?
Nomad
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 12:07pm
Ya, unfortunately frivolous lawsuits happen quite often.  There needs to be a law put in place that monetarily punishes those that bring these to court......but what would be the criteria for that?

My main concern with some kind of sweeping legislation to remedy all of this is that legitimate lawsuits will be very hard to prosecute.  If a public/private entity really f*&k's up, they need to learn a lesson the hard way, and that is usually through a lawsuit.  

Corporations view business through a cost/benefit analysis and some will cut corners because the savings will be greater than the potential lawsuits.  If you drastically cut the chances of a lawsuit, you can see what will happen.

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 1:41pm
Well, I think the "standard" proposal to monetarily punish is what is the law in England and most of Europe - i.e. loser pays.  The idea being that the lawyers would vet cases better.  Strong cases (even when the injured party doesn't have any money/resources) would still go forward but weak cases would be winnowed out.  I think some jurisdictions say that it is the judges discretion to enforce this (so a reasonable case might still lose but not have to pay).

I am still very interested in hearing why this particular case might have long legs.  Because, on the surface it seems pretty frivolous - certainly more so than other cases I've read about.
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 1:42pm
I say, the loser of the decision pays everone's legal fees in the case. 

Damn, arn.  beat me to it.

Edited by septimus prime - 11 Dec 2007 at 1:43pm
Jon Shell Bee
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 1:44pm
I guess I am a bit puzzled by all this "kill the lawyer" mentality.  After all, lawyers give predominately to the dems (over 75%), which I would guess, given the political sensibilities of the kayaking community, would make kayakers love lawyers.

What am I missing?
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 1:49pm
Looser pays is one of those great ideas that few support, because no one really knows where they will wind up (loosing or winning) if our legal system sees that big of a change. 

It is kind of like the immigration issue.  Until recently, no one (on either side of the political spectrum) wanted to talk about illegal immigration, because no one was really sure how it would impact the bottom line of their existing base in the hispanic community.  Because neither side new whether they would win or loose, little happened of consequence until the last mid-term election when the issue was elevated by the voters as a cornerstone in this current presidential election.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 2:04pm

I guess I am a bit puzzled by all this "kill the lawyer" mentality.  After all, lawyers give predominately to the dems (over 75%), which I would guess, given the political sensibilities of the kayaking community, would make kayakers love lawyers.

What am I missing?

Ummm  the boat???? 
 And all republicans are what?  Pedofiles?  I heard that somewhere  ?
Sure?
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 2:10pm

What am I missing?

Well, the title was given by Arn who is a righty....errr Libertarian so I don't know if you can subscribe that line of thought to everyone here.  I think most people see the silliness of this lawsuit and are reacting to that.

Personally, I despise corporate interests bribing politicians to vote certain ways so the fact that lawyers bribe disproportionately to Dems doesn't make me anymore inclined to like them. 
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 2:14pm
p.s.  I'm friends with several graduates of UW law and they're all bloodsucking hounds.

J/K 
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 2:37pm
I'm at the trends trade show in seattle right now and I'm so bored, someone come visit my booth and shoot me! So sleepy...............zzzzz........so bored...............
Nomad
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 3:48pm
Dave (D4),
Why are you in a booth when you could be swimming off of a waterfall into a hole??  And, weren't you talking about suing the car manufacturer on Saturday when you were locked out of your car - through no fault of your own??
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 2:47pm
Unfortunately, that was my fault...
Nomad
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 4:54pm
Remember when Lief drove his roof rack into the parking garage and tried to sue the owner of the garage...? That was funny.

would you still want the looser of the case to pay all fee's there?

Edited by hugo - 12 Dec 2007 at 4:56pm
suck it
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 5:19pm
Small claims court filing ... $35 dollars
Driving to Issaquah      ... $15 dollars
An hour of my time      ... $100 dollars

Making Kemper Freeman, Jr drag his fat ass into small claims court ...
                               Priceless
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version