Professor Paddle: The Upside to Global Warming vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: The Upside to Global Warming Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Topic: The Upside to Global Warming
    Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 8:42pm
I realized that global warning isn't all that bad! Antarctica is a very mountainous continent and has abundant river valleys under all those snow capped peaks.

So, although we may all perish of heat exhaustion up here, we can just go south and have first D's for all!

So turn on that gas guzzler and lets melt that snow quick before we are too old to boat the epic whitewater beneath.......
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 9:53pm
Ya, maybe we should go homestead a few hundred acres down there before everyone else moves down!
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 10:07pm
Dude you guys are talking my language, long term investing here... how does this work... is there a government down there yet? If not I would want to move down and be a dicktater. I mean really... aren't those pretty rare now a days.

J
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 10:22pm
You said "Dick.. Tater" 
Isn't he the VP?
Sure?
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 10:35pm
Actually, while the evidence seems compelling that the far northern hemisphere is warming (regardless of whether you believe that this is natural, man-made or caused by Haliburton), that is definitely not the case in Antarctica.  In fact, while it doesn't make the headlines, Antarctica, overall, is actually cooling or stable.

And, even though casual empiricism is not scientific evidence, any visit to Antarctica - even to the Antarctic peninsula which seems to be warming somewhat - will confirm what I'm saying.  Even in the height of summer very little melting is observed.

So, don't get too excited about the boating opportunities down in Antarctica just yet.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad (?) news.  Head to the High Arctic instead - it is a better bet for possible boating opportunities.  Just bring your rifle to protect yourself from polar bears! 

And, yes, there are way more polar bears up there today - even with global warming - than there were 30 years ago.  Mostly because of decreased hunting and other conservation measures.  This isn't to say that those populations couldn't be threatened in the future.  But, for now, I'd bring that rifle.  Because, there are only two important things to know about polar bears: (1) They always attack from down wind and (2) They always want to eat you.

Edited by arnobarno - 19 Nov 2007 at 10:57pm
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 8:20am
Arn,

You seem to know quite a bit about bears.  Speaking of which, have you guys seen that documentary entitled, "Grizzly Man".  Worth watching.  You talk about misguided...
Jon Shell Bee
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 9:27am
Arn is correct (well, half right anyway).  While the Arctic Penensula has seen significant warming the rest of the continent has not.  Unfortunately this news is not as positive as it may sound.  If you are interested you can read more here: http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=18
... preparing for a river beating!     
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 9:50am
Tom, The climate in Antarctica is amazingly complex as your link alludes to.  And more data is being discovered all the time.  I think that particular site wants to explain the cooling away (much like other people want to explain the warming away in the northern hemisphere using similar theories). 

The data is the data but who knows what the future will hold.  Models can't predict the weather or river levels tomorrow with any accuracy - IMHO, there is a little too much belief in these models without scientists explaining about the sensitivity analysis of their models (small changes in assumptions produce huge changes in outcomes).  The general public and media latch on to scare stories (remember Y2K, multiple Katrina-like hurricanes predicted in 2006, 2007, etc.)

One other interesting fact that people typically aren't aware of is that the ice extent around Antarctica (winter sea ice) in 2007 has been the largest recorded in the last 30 years.  In fact, there was a huge melt from 73-77 and since then it has been growing.  If you are interested, you can google search on Antarctic sea ice extent and there are sites which will show you the area.  2007 set a 30 year high.

Jon, I have seen that movie.  That guy was a super-kook.  I'll just add one other fact about polar bears.  If you don't want to bring a rifle, bring a buddy instead - one that paddles slower than you.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 10:07am
"super kook"
cmon, Arn.  That guy was/is awesome.   Total committment to his path.  Willing to be bear bait at any given moment, and yet chilling with the consequences.  Give me an example of a similar endeavor  so original, passionate, and raw.  It is true that there were some emotional issues beneath the skin, but then we all got those more or less.   Superkook is a bit too easy.  Stick to the global warming anaylsis .....
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 10:16am
Sweet, another GW "debate"..

Speaking of total commitment to a path.  Did anyone catch the Mike Libecki profile on Nightline last night?  Back in the day, it seemed like I was always reading about his solo climbing exploits to the most remote areas on Earth.  That guy knows what he wants and just does it, such a passion for the moment..
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 10:17am
Mike,
I agree.  That guy was committed and I should refrain from making a sound-bite judgment about his mental state.

But, you have to admit that he crossed over from studying bears to almost thinking of himself as a bear.  It was an accident waiting to happen - much like the "Crocodile Hunter" guy.

So, here is a question, when does "commitment" cross over and become foolhardiness?

Edited by arnobarno - 20 Nov 2007 at 10:35am
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 10:34am
Whoa, now that's mixing apples and oranges.  Crocky dude was an expert with tons of experience growing up and a Dad as a mentor.   His tragic passing was "in the line of duty".  True, they both were treading that line, but  Timothy Treadwell aka "super kook", was an amatuer.  Yeah, maybe he did start to see himself as indespensible to their survival, but you got think like a bear to hang with a bear.  Or something like that....
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 10:37am
aNd
to address the committment part- only individual experience and sound judgement can answer that....
and if we're really interested in exploring our capabilities and potential, there HAS to be some room for error (acceptance of consequences). 

and for all you grammar hogs, i went back and put in the freaking apostrophe - boneheads

Edited by huckin harms - 20 Nov 2007 at 10:41am
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 10:50am
Are you guys saying that hugging a polar bear is a bad thing? Also, wich way is downwind? And isn't hugging a tree just as dangerous as hugging a bear, after all, it could fall on you!
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 11:05am
That crock hunter thing was a complete fluke... I mean stinger through the heart... a few inches and a different outcome would have been there.... Dude this coming from a WW boater?/?? Risk Calculation???

If you asked Steve Irwin to chuck his junk off a water fall he would probably have said ... Krikey ... your running with the dingo's mate!!! Its all perspective... He grew up doing that stuff!
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by James

Krikey ... your running with the dingo's mate!!!

I'm breakin' that quote out next time I portage lol
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by arnobarno

Models can't predict the weather or river levels tomorrow with any accuracy - IMHO, there is a little too much belief in these models without scientists explaining about the sensitivity analysis of their models (small changes in assumptions produce huge changes in outcomes).  The general public and media latch on to scare stories (remember Y2K, multiple Katrina-like hurricanes predicted in 2006, 2007, etc.)

Arn, you are mistaken about the climate models.  The comparison to how they predict the weather or river levels tomorrow is a false analogy since those models are microscopic vice macroscopic.   Generally speaking, models become more accurate as the ends of the spectrum and less accurate in the middle.  For example, it is difficult to accurately forecast the weather in Gold Bar this Saturday at 3:27 pm.  On the other hand I can reasonably tell you what it will be like in 5 minutes (micro) and that the weather is likely to be colder and wetter in January than in July (macro). 

The fact is computer generated climate models are fairly relaible.  Contrary to what many people believe the models can, and have been, tested by running simulations starting from a given point in the climactic record and comparing the results of the simulation to what actually occured.  While far from perfect they do provide meaningful results.   

You are certainly correct about the way the media jumps on predictions such as those aboput the hurricanes.   The media often misinteprets the science and blown it out of proportion in the name of ratings. 

franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 7:31pm
has anyone heard of the river in antartica that actually flows with salt water inland?? a bullshitter i used to boat with said it was unrun and unknown...he used to live there....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 9:06pm
Tom,
You are right that my analogy with weather and river levels was not perfect.  But models are not proof.  They are models.

And, any models of a complex system - are extremely sensitive to small changes in assumptions and these changes can produce big changes in the forecast.  Furthermore, and most importantly, even if a model that uses historical data can then be "played forward" to predict that historic data up to today, it doesn't imply it has *ANY* predictive value for tomorrow.

At a simple level, if I gave you the sequence 2, 4, 6, 8 and asked what the next number was, most would say 10.  But, I can come up with a formula such that the next number is anything I want it to be.  That is true for any finite set of numbers.  Or any model based on the past.

Let me use an example on something less controversial than GW since that is such a politically charged topic.  For example, there were models in 1987 that people were using to model the stock market and portfolio insurance.  They predicted all past events perfectly and were used to model the future.  Those models never anticipated the 20% decline in stock prices in a matter of hours and thus when it occurred it in 1987, it broke not only the models but also lots of wall street players.  This happened again in 1997 when two Nobel laureates practically caused the breakdown of the bond market with LTCM.  These guys were incredibly highly leveraged and made tiny amounts on lots of transactions.  They never anticipated the crazy credit meltdown that happened in sovereign debt.  The Fed practically bailed them out.

It is great that climate scientists are trying to study these things and create models.  But mother nature (and social/market systems like the stock market) are amazingly complex and there is a lack of humility in many of these scientists in terms of describing 100 year projections with overstated confidence.

And, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything - except perhaps that they are wasting their time right now to try to boat anytime soon down in Antarctica.

my two cents (or three)...

Edited by arnobarno - 20 Nov 2007 at 9:15pm
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 9:15pm

I'm not sure what your point is Arno.  I agree, models are not perfect.  Are you suggesting that we should ignore the implications of the models because they might not be correct. 

I do enjoy a good debate/discussion. 

Edited by tradguy2 - 20 Nov 2007 at 9:16pm
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 9:37pm
Yeah, it is fun to have a discussion without people calling each other names or assuming they are the devil!

My major point was simply to respond to David's (joking) assertion about getting some first D's in Antarctica.

But on the models specifically, my point isn't that we should ignore models but we need to understand their limitations.  It is very interesting this debate, because as a planet there are so many problems competing for scare resources - unsafe water and lack of sanitation, hunger, malnutrition, lack of education, diseases, deforestation, air pollution, among others - and climate change, of course.  All too often, models are presented as proof and the general public takes as "facts" things that are speculations - albeit sophisticated ones.  And, this can lead to a very inefficient use of society's resources.

Edited by arnobarno - 20 Nov 2007 at 9:37pm
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 9:45pm
I agree, although most people claiming there is proof of GW are politicians and special interests, not scientists.  Most scientists do understand the limitations of modeling and science.  That is the reason they talk about things in terms of probabilities and likely outcomes.
The OAC
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote The OAC Replybullet Posted: 22 Nov 2007 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by tradguy2

I agree, although most people claiming there is proof of GW are politicians and special interests, not scientists.  Most scientists do understand the limitations of modeling and science.  That is the reason they talk about things in terms of probabilities and likely outcomes.

I've got to disagree with that statement... the scientific consensus by an overwhelming majority is that the Earth is in a warming trend and that this is a result of anthropogenic forcing. 

You are correct in that scientists understand the limits of models, which is an uncertainty often exploited by people with an interest in confusing the issue for the public.  However we don't need models to understand global warming.  The biogeochemical (and to a lesser extent astronomical) factors that regulate climate are well understood and we have an extensive geologic record to tell us how climate has always worked. 

It's no great mystery what happens when too much CO2 or methane or water vapor ends up in the atmosphere.  There's no doubt as to the source of the excess CO2 currently there.  The only disagreement within the scientific community is in the details, ie the effects on ocean cirulation and local precipitation patterns, etc which do rely heavily on modeling.

Jeff

Edited by The OAC - 22 Nov 2007 at 1:34pm
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2007 at 11:59am

You are preaching to the choir Jeff.  I am in 100% agreement that with the viewpoint that global warming is the result of anthropogenic forcing.  My statement (which was worded poorly) was not meant to imply otherwise although I can see how it could be misinterpreted. 

The statement you quoted was in response to Anro's assertion that climate scientists are overconfident about their models.  I strongly disagree with that position.  No climate scientist believes that their model predicts the future with absolute certainty.  They readily acknowledge that there are shortcomings in the models.  That is not however a basis for discarding the models entirely as Anro seems to be implying.   

My choice of words had more to do with semantics than anything else.   "Proof" is not a word scientists use lightly since proving something is far more difficult that disproving something.  As a result a common approach used to prove a theory is to systematically disprove alternative explanations.  This makes the life of GW skeptics easy.  All they need to do to cloud the issue is propose an alternative theory (no matter how absurd it is) and until scientists disprove it the skeptics can claim there is no proof

Getting back to my quote, I was simply trying point out to Arno that if he has the impression that scientists are claiming their models are proof of GW that it is likely that he got that impression from someone other than a scientist. 

Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2007 at 12:10pm
Wow, I never thought that my jesting comment about bountiful Antarctic first D's would spark such lively debate.
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version