Professor Paddle: Sat Sky Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Sat Sky Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
Sat Sky (Trip Quick View)
Find out more details by Viewing the Trip Page
Skykomish  (1 - Index/Powerline to Railroad Bridge)   Class III+(IV+)   Min 1000 cfs    |    Max 15000 cfs   Current 3590 cfs (Reported on 03-28-2024 06:30:00)
Trip Leader : skim
Contact # : 206-501-0752
Meeting Time : 11/17/2007 11:00:00 AM
Meeting Place : There are two Access places for this run. The best is known as the Powerline Putin. At Hwy 2 mile 35.1 (just west of bridge across the Skykomish) take FR 6020 0.4 miles to a parking area near a big po
Paddlers Paddling
<< Prev Page  of 2
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 4:48pm
Brett.... I am just curious and this is for the sake of everyones knowledge here... what kind of boats were you guys using on that 20k day? And what lines did you guys take though boulder drop.... At those levels I freakin get lost in that thing....

J
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 5:54pm
Well, I can't speak for everyone but in my opinion it is playboats all the way at that level. Apart from the manuverability that smaller boats offer in that kind of water, it is worth it to bring them for the waves at powerline and the weir! Not to mention the fact that there are no huge, cross-river ferries that you need a lot of speed for. So yeah, give-r in the spuds.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by water wacko

Mike, take it easy. Just so you know I did run the Sky at 20,000 last year with Bowman and Rob right after the flood. I've run the N fork at 25k on the main also. 

Am i thinking about the same sky?  When the fuck did that become the river to test your mettle against (unless you are that one crazy dude that put on at mad high h2o last fall in his old ass diablo).  Bragging about your feats on the most commonly run river in the state is like half a step above saying you are a bad ass because you paddled the MM at 10k or the powerhouse at 20k.  Maybe I am crazy, but when did running the sky at any level consitute running the proverbial shit? 

Hugo has spoken.
suck it
The OAC
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote The OAC Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 6:36pm
James, if memory serves we were all in playboats.  Mercy shoot is the "standard" line at that level.  There is another line down the far left, and numerous other possibilities waiting to be tested.  Mercy shoot at that level has a fun, fast feel with very few consequences.  You can either ride it down the whole way or work back toward the middle after the picket fence.  On that note it was proven today that the needle goes at 13g, by braver souls than I (one guess as to who that was). 

Jeff
The OAC
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote The OAC Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 6:40pm
PS... ease off there Hugo.  There are plenty of ways to make the Sky more than challenging at 20k.  For that matter there are plenty of ways to make it challenging well below that.  I haven't been on it (yet) at 45k, but there is no reason to assume that that level is inherently any more difficult.  It may or may not be.  You don't have to go out of your way to be exotic just to test your mettle.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:24pm
I was just curious, I figured as much, well that and I was trying to set it up so Brett could make another post with this Brand.... lol

I would say that Boulder Drop could go on the Top Class V rapids for the state! Access! Routes! its a rad little spot!

J
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:42pm
Well, thanks for asking, James! I happened to be paddling a Fun made by Brett's Sponsor's Kayak. (The best kayak manufacturer around in my opinion) It was a lot of FUN, actually! And the differences aren't that pronounced between 10k and 20k. Yes, some of the holes are bigger, but they are still in the same places. That said, I would expect if people are paddling above 10 they have the skill and know the lines. Above 14k mercy chute has a ledge hole develop at the bottom of her that deserves a scout. Left side goes too, all the way down. 20 is as high as I've run it, but I can't imagine the water is that much harder between 20 and 30k. This is only speculation. Play boats are better in big water because they correct easier. It doesn't take 20k for a ball check on the Sky. I know a hole at 2k that'll whip ya.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:43pm
Brett's Sponsor's
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:44pm
that's good, James. let's try this Jack son
Jack's son        Jakcson        Jakson       Jacson
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:46pm
I could have fun with that. James, I'm going for full disclosure, damn it! I don't want to lead anybody on! They need to know I'm a J A C K S O N   T E A M paddler!
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 8:22pm
Brett's Sponsor's   kayak
Brett's Sponsor's   KaYaK
Brett's Sponsor's   KAYAK
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 8:23pm
funny
skim
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote skim Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 8:28pm
dave post a message if it's still a go in the morning.  like around 8 to 8:30.  
boof it for crying out loud
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 7:51am

Well, I'm going to run the Stilly this morning.  Feel free to join me.  Meet across from the verlot ranger station at 11.  This will be a fun level but not scary as Arn put it in an earlier post.  I'm going to post a trip for this as well since this post has gotten kind of muddled.

Dave

Dave
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 8:00am

Muddled?! 

Sky today... some time afternoon (and hopefully after tt).

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 9:00am
Cmon you guys have to think thats funny.... lol

I'm jess playing around... I knew if I asked you would drop the sponsor and I could test my little word sniffer ehehheh.. I can disable it .... it was just a little funski!
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 9:05am
Brett's Sponsor's

you might disable it James as there are many others who like to talk about J A C K S O N   K A Y A K S !!!!   and it might mess with them a little.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version