Professor Paddle: WA's Best Class V Rapid vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Open Forum
 Professor Paddle : The Class Room : Open Forum
Message Icon Topic: WA's Best Class V Rapid Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
RemAcct3
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RemAcct3 Replybullet Topic: WA's Best Class V Rapid
    Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 12:47pm

We have alot of sponsored paddlers, professional paddlers, and full time paddling junkies in washington so I am pretty sure this question might generate more than one answer.

What is the best class V rapid in the state, and why?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 1:28pm
Daryl, this is just like my thread.. well a little different but really cmon be original for goodness sakes.

My vote is Richochet. You get ledges, horizon lines, holes and even eddies at different levels. The whole rapid is roadside and to make it all just a little bit better it is right next to nothing but more quality whitewater!!!

There are a few other rivers that could have some beefy rapids on them but I have never done those runs. I can't really speak to the quality of the rapids on the Clear fork Cowlitz, Ernies Canyon, etc... Those are the runs that seperate the amateur level paddlers from the pro level paddlers and for that reason I am still working up to them.

So to all you pro's what can top Richochet out there?
CRG Productions
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote CRG Productions Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 1:44pm

the top of Gettin Busy to the bottom of Boulder Sluice on the Little White. It may be two names, but at 3.7feet it's a great single rapid!

why: becasue it moves fast, you have to stay on top of your game and it ends in the best boof anywhere! it also gets you preped for what is downstream!

Edited by CRG Productions - 08 Nov 2007 at 2:27pm
www.gorgehits.com
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 10:57am
I can't believe it ... I am sitting here typing a pissed off message because Robe is at 5.5 and all my friends are going to be out there enjoying a perfect level while I am sitting at home. THis is the worst weekend of my whole year so far... I would rather slide down the freagin sultan with a cracked boat then deal with this cuff one more day.

Why post here... while I don't think that any rapid on the Robe deserves to be on this thread, I do think that the run as a whole ranks as one of our states premier class V's. Not any single rapid stands out as more quality than Gettin Busy or Richochet but there are tons of good rapids and not much flat inbetween. So I figured I would toss Robe to the list of States Best class V runs but not individual rapids.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 7:58pm
I haven't run the Little White and only looked at Ricochet (6000?) once, but I understand the LW is world class and Ricochet is a very quality looking rapid. Of the rapids I have run I would say Big Brother and the lower section of the Carbon where the stacked up V's are before the flats are both high quality. I ran big bro at 1'10". I understand the gauge read 6" lower now since the flood (2'4" on the old gauge) and Carbon at 600. Both are very high quality in rapids and scenery. The commitment of the Carbon adds to the mystique, respect, and feeling of almost a forbidden place. It's magical.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by water wacko

I haven't run the Little White and only looked at Ricochet (6000?) once, but I understand the LW is world class and Ricochet is a very quality looking rapid. Of the rapids I have run I would say Big Brother and the lower section of the Carbon where the stacked up V's are before the flats are both high quality. I ran big bro at 1'10". I understand the gauge read 6" lower now since the flood (2'4" on the old gauge) and Carbon at 600. Both are very high quality in rapids and scenery. The commitment of the Carbon adds to the mystique, respect, and feeling of almost a forbidden place. It's magical.

dude, monique swam more class V than you have ever ran.. 
suck it
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 8:36pm
I'm sorry your jealous Hugo. it's obvious you won't even post your name. Pussy.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 8:45pm
I dunno Brett... Monique swam a whole heck of alot of class V lol..

Hey on the Carbon are those rapids much like what you find in Robe Canyon? I have looks silty in both places...

J
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 8:57pm
Are not you guys forgetting a classical easy class V? FITW, maybe not the hardest, but certainly one of the best!
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 9:02pm
hey Dave, this is the Bash A Pro section. You must've forgotten. No wonder pros hang out with other pros. Everybody else is just a jealous bitch.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 9:34pm
No Comment!!
Apparently just a JEALOUS BIOTCH!

Edited by newtobin - 11 Nov 2007 at 9:35pm
Sure?
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 9:36pm
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned any of the runs in Whatcom County.  The Clearwater, Canyon Creek, The Middle Fork of the Nooksack.  I haven't boated any of them but from the class V boaters I know they never stop talking about them.  Also I hear that Robe is the best V in the I 5 corridor.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 10:27pm
Uhh, it's says IV+V in the books, but I guess if your a class V junkie then it may not be a V to you. In the end it's all matter of perspective, kind of like one of Einstien's theorys.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 11:11pm
I don't know if I'd call FITW at medium and lower flow a class V (minus the top drop). Sure it's steep, but it boats rather easy and is pretty forgiving.  Not trying to downgrade, but when you compare it to a solid V, there's noticeable difference.

That being said, I'm always pretty relieved to run Fisherman's cleanly.
CRG Productions
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote CRG Productions Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 10:17am
while I don't think that any rapid on the Robe deserves to be on this thread, I do think that the run as a whole ranks as one of our states premier class V's. Not any single rapid stands out as more quality than Gettin Busy or Richochet but there are tons of good rapids and not much flat inbetween. So I figured I would toss Robe to the list of States Best class V runs but not individual rapids.
[/QUOTE]

I think James was on to something by re directing this a little. It's hard to pick one best rapid since skill level, personal preference, and mental game play a HUGE part. and it seems as if there are paddlers on here from all different regions of the state and when you get into your local run you end up running them at higher levels and get more comfortable with them than most who just run them while visiting the area. I have not run Robe or Ernie's, but I'm sure they have HIGH quality rapids on each and not just the rapids but the over all run...that is why you keep hearing about each of them. Here are my top 5 runs based on my local area and quality based on personal experience.
1)Little White
2)Green Truss
3)Salmon River Canyon
4)Eagle Creek
5)Hagen Gorge

Edited by CRG Productions - 12 Nov 2007 at 10:20am
www.gorgehits.com
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 10:55am
Thanks CRG,

Your dead on .... Kinda of what we were talking about at Sullivan... Once you get to know the lines levels start to get changed quite a bit for the locals.

As far as FITW goes... I just would not say it is class V anywhere... The first drop is of course the hardest drop of the run (FITW proper) but it is a single drop. I dunno I just would keep calling FITW IV+ maybe IV-V depending on water levels.

I dig those last 3 rivers CRG ... Rarely heard about in Seattle Zones but high quality runs from the sounds of it.

I am not sure why you called this the make fun of a pro section... Nothing to laugh at with CRG's stacked up list of tasty suggestions. Is there something funny in your list of suggestions Brett?
CRG Productions
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote CRG Productions Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 11:54am
maybe it's becasue the bar was set high at the begining of the post. Gettin Busy and Richochet are a couple solid class V rapids and class V varies between each paddler. Richotchet at first scout could look like class VI to some paddlers. Let's here what some favorite runs are, not just scarry in your face class V's. Sounds like Fall in the Wall is a local favorite up there as well as Robe...what else?
www.gorgehits.com
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 12:05pm
Zig zag on the truss is a pretty sweet rapid.  Who doesn't love to have a legitimate reason to zig zag through a rapid?
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 12:37pm
James in answer to your earlier question about Robe vs Carbon... Carbon is a much easier run in my opinion, even more so since the recent floods.  They differ in a few areas. First carbon is more narrow and pool drop, it just feels ominous becausue it's so dark and gloomy in there. Robe is more continuous and has larger more complex drops.

Here is my top five.

1. Little White
2. Icicle Creek
3. Green Truss
4. Ohanepecosh
5. Robe

Btw- imo... FITW is not class V  with the exception of FITW proper, even that is a stretch. And i would only rate it that way, because of the undercut cave as a hazard.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 1:35pm
So wheres the biggest baddest runnable rapid in the state?

Bridge Creek, Icicle?
The Monster Ledges & Slides on Thunder Creek?
Landslide on Robe?

Not like a waterfall, sunset, snoqualmie etc... I'm talking runnable rapid. lol
J
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 1:48pm
Exit , Tumwater Canyon 
CRG Productions
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote CRG Productions Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 1:58pm
hmm...well by no waterfall you mean start in a pool, and fall into a pool.

I would say Silver Falls (Ohanie) would count in the catagory your talking about. Big stout lead in, straight into a big drop. It's not exatly a pool to pool waterfall and has been run by a few paddlers.

Other than that the W.F. of Miller seems to be HUGE! never seen it in person, but from what I've heard there are some class V+ boulder gardens and Class VI, depending how you feel that day.
www.gorgehits.com
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 2:16pm

That's the thing, this state seems to be full of one-shot wonders....maybe linking a few moves between pools ON AVERAGE (ya, I know there are exceptions like Icicle,Clearwater, etc.).   So imo, there are tons of stellar runs as a whole, but not so many great "rapids".

We actually looked at W.F. Miller this weekend and that creek just looks to be one long rapid.  I'd like to see it with a proper flow going down it for a better sense.

Fish, Exit?  If I've run it, it can't be considered the hardest.

edit:   ok, I've only been up here a year and a half and there are a lot of creeks I haven't paddled so take my comments with a grain of salt, eh.

Edited by PowWrangler - 12 Nov 2007 at 2:41pm
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 2:26pm
I agree on Exit ... really a one move rapid more or less....
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2007 at 2:33pm
Sure i've run it a bunch of times as well... still makes my stomach turn everytime i pull out of the eddy though...  what flows have you guys run it at? Sure at 1500cfs no biggie, what about  4000cfs 

Then i guess that opens up a whole can of worms when we talk flow... then everything changes i suppose.  Richochet at normal flows is a mile of bliss, get in there at high flows and were talking something totally different, ya know. 

Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version