Professor Paddle: Looking to get into the sport vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Looking to get into the sport Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
xtrmln
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xtrmln Replybullet Topic: Looking to get into the sport
    Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 10:31pm
Hello all, I just made the decision to  try this whitewater stuff in a kayak. About 6 years ago I took a 5 day class and did 2 trips after that. Unfortunately before I could get back out there again I had a pretty gnarly car accident that had me out of action for quite a bit. I'm looking for a bit of advice on gear. I still have my old boat and am wondering if it is just too outdated now. It is a Perception ARC. I was thinking that I have it and I should probably just use it but being a motorcycle racer and a big fan of technology would I be shooting my self in the foot with the old girl? Also I have checked out some reviews but what are some opinions on top of the line dry suits?
F.M.S. wmrra #866
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 5:18am

Edited by water wacko - 08 Nov 2007 at 8:52pm
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 7:07am
 Hey, welcome to the sport,  What size are you? heigth, weight?    I agree wit hBrett,  Kokatat is the bomb for drysuits, if a grand is outta your price range, check out the Palms.
  I think they are only second to Kokatat in quality, and about $450 less.
Sure?
xtrmln
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote xtrmln Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:27am
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Kokatat gore tex suit. Guess thats the one I'll go with. Since its the offseason I'm thinking I'll hit the pools and maybe try to rent a few different boats to see what I like. One more thing when spring rolls around what are considered top of the line in the way of schools? providing they don't interfere with my race schedual I may look to try a couple to get me going. I'm an instructor for a different sport that I love and thus I am a firm believer in good instruction and a firm grip of the fundamentals.  Thanks for the input guys!
F.M.S. wmrra #866
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:47am
 Talk to Brett (waterwacko)  He is a kick ass instructor,
Sure?
xtrmln
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote xtrmln Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:51am
ok will do. pm replied to tobin. Thanks.
F.M.S. wmrra #866
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 10:37am
That ARC may be considered a dinosaur by today's standards, but is a decent boat... Go ahead and start using it. Then as you gain time on rivers and check out other folks boats... (many kayakers don't mind swappin out and letting your try theirs out for a bit)
... you can get an idea of what direction you'd like to go and what kind of new boats you'd like to have.

Note I said "boats"... if you get the whitewater bug, you'll want more than one boat. Having one boat is like having one golf club.
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 10:59am

Palms look pretty damn nice to me as far as dysuits go.

Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 11:56am
Getting some formal training I'm sure is a good idea but not necessary.  I took a beginner class but have benefited from the community of boaters in the area to improve my boating.  No real need to spend money on "lessons" that you could get for free from some new found buddies.

I tried to take a creeking class a couple times but they never happened.  The Prof. Paddle community taught me everything I needed to know and I now have a great crew of creekers to call on to go paddle with or ask help.  Same goes for playboating.

We've had the dry suit conversation many times.  Here is a thread I started a while back

http://professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5604&KW=

As far as boats... Get your roll dialed in with your old boat and take a few runs down the 'ole Sky to work out the cobwebs and then try some new boats.  As Joe said, most people here are willing to let someone borrow a boat to try.

Also, SRK's pool sessions at Meadowbrook pool on Monday nights is a great place to try new boats.  Call them and tell them what boat you want to demo and they will bring it for free. 

SYOTR!
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 12:00pm
Oh, and get a pee zipper in your dry suit.  No brainer.

Worth the extra cash the first time you have to go pee... so I hear.  I still don't have a dry suit.
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 2:00pm
Check out the Riot Inferno. It is a great river runner as well as a sweet boat for surfing smaller waves. http://riotkayaks.com/v3/ww_inferno.asp

Kokotat makes bomber stuff but you should also look into Immersion research. Their new seemless technology is really inovative and prevents the possibility of water leaking through a loose seem.

As Ryan pointed out, relief zipper is totally a good call in a dry suit.

Edited by kayaktheworld - 07 Nov 2007 at 2:03pm
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 4:58pm
Riot Inferno???? what?

Like always KTW's pushin the house gear. If ya gotta do it at least push the air/flair thats a way better boat than the inferblow. I love my air 55. Well its toast now but my little waSabi was qualiTy!!

Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 5:39pm
Yeah, but the Flair is a very, very specificly big-wave oriented boat.

The inferno is a river runner that still has great play potential. In terms of Riot, f you want to go for an all out play boat as a beginner, go for the Astro. It is a little more all-around play boat than the flair, with good performance on both waves and holes.

James- I know you love Riot ;). Anyway, Brett is pushin his product, why not push mine? Also, I am coming from the stand point of having paddled both companies' boats extensively.
xtrmln
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote xtrmln Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 5:49pm
Well for me I'm thinking I'll probably be looking for an all arounder. Something predictable and maybe a little forgiving for a novice boater. Thanks to all for the good imput. I want to start with something a little confidence inspiring. I wont have any issues with getting multiple boats to suit multiple needs as I (hopefully) advance.
F.M.S. wmrra #866
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 5:56pm

Edited by water wacko - 09 Nov 2007 at 6:06am
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
cloudpeak
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cloudpeak Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by water wacko

I will never "push" Jackson, just to be clear. My friend Kyle paddles a big Crazy 88 and it is the best boat for his body type and physical condition. I recommended he try it out. I'm not into 'pushing' products. Products speak for themselves. I just explain how they work and fit peoples' bodies. Nothin' against you or Riot, David. I just like to be clear.

I happen to like Jackson boats and think the Fun series works well for beginners. Just a gentle reminder, though, those who are sponsored should make that sponsorship clear in their posts IMO.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:01pm
That is a good point cloudpeak. I think they should put it in the signature like KTW.

And I am going to go ahead and call BS, on that one Brett, you sell Jackson like a mofo. I can't remember the last time I heard you recommending a different boat. And I can't count the number of times I have heard you defending or promoting them, even the mega rocker. Now your saying you will never "push" Jackson? Your the new sponsor? I am lost on this one...

I can honestly say I am still not neutral. I am a fan of Riot, I have always liked the designs but I don't paddle one right now. Mainly because they don't sell them here and they don't really want to support a company that does not see value in our region.

I am just about ready to start selling boats myself so we can get Riot back here. I miss those boats.

But right now I would say your best bet is a Necky. Their Team rocks!

J

J
spindrift
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote spindrift Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:37pm
Well, you've got two PP members on Team Riot (or is it two Team Riot members on PP?) - kayaktheworld and his brother lazaruslong1108... Maybe you oughta see what their take is on Riot in the PNW. Of course one of them is theoretically about done eating breakfast at 12,000 feet on the Mekong river right now - so that part of the conversation might need to wait a while...

Or you could just start nudging the local shops.

In the interest of that full disclosure thing, you could say I'm proud to be affiliated with both of said paddlers.   

Edited by spindrift - 07 Nov 2007 at 8:46pm
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 9:06pm

Edited by water wacko - 09 Nov 2007 at 6:04am
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 9:25pm
Hey Dave/KTW, am I crazy or weren't you representing Jackson recently?  I forget.

James, what happened to your shoulder?
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 9:43pm
Wrangler:

I represented Jackson up until about a month ago. I switched to Riot for many reasons but one was the number of problems that I (and my brother) had with Jackson boats and the company's failure to address them. IE: Plastic cracking and blemming, outfitting breaking, etc.

Also, I will say a few things here: 1) I will always be upfront about my affiliation with a product. 2) Despite this affiliation, I will never, ever, try to sell a product that I do not feel is the highest quality money can buy. This is easy for me to achieve because I would never represent a product that I did not feel this way about. That is why my brother and I are now paddling Riot (not to mention that this company is just a cool, goofy, honest group of people who are all a joy to work with).
spindrift
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote spindrift Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 9:46pm
WW, let's be clear - you are sponsored to sell the product. Claiming otherwise is BS. Simply put, you are provided with free or discounted gear in order to motivate you to pitch the product and to compensate you for doing so. This is true of all sponsored athletes. Period. Hence the importance of full disclosure.

Now you may believe in the product you choose to affiliate yourself with. And that's the best of all possible worlds. It is great when people believe in the products they are affiliated with. But don't "BS" folks about the inescapable foundations of that relationship. If you don't want to deal with that, don't take the compensation from them.

I'll avoid putting words in anyone else's mouth & will speak only for myself. I've plunked my $$ down on no small number of Jackson boats the past few years (several family members have been paddling them). I have to say that IMO Jackson Kayaks should be ashamed of themselves with respect to their quality and their non-responsiveness wrt same. Out of the boats family members have owned (both retail and pro deals), one was destroyed in under 4 weeks of daily but reasonable use, one is in questionable condition after only a short period of moderate use, and the outfitting in a couple of them failed very prematurely (one after only two weeks use on the Grand Canyon).

EJ has personally seen two of the failed boats and has done bubkas about them. One he claimed was due to abuse (yeah, lots of sharp rocks to gouge your boat on during 4 spring trips on the Wenatchee play run...) and one he said would be taken care of (it literally was being held together by duct tape). Nothing happened. Why don't you ask him about whether or not there are plastic issues with the SuperStars and ask him how they've dealt with those... I think I can answer that though - he went paddling while leaving his customers hanging.

We went to great effort to get Riot boats shipped here before lazaruslong1108 headed for the Himalayas - because we felt taking a single current production Jackson boat would be unsafe. Simple as that. And the honest truth. In general, my family liked the designs, fit, comfort, and adjustability of the Jacksons - but the overall poor quality means we'll never send another penny their way. This is a pretty major turn around from a paddling family that was initially very excited by the boats and was even willing to forgive one or two issues.

All that aside - if you are proud to be associated with Jackson, why not just make that crystal clear. Then pitch/defend them with everyone fully informed.

Edited by spindrift - 07 Nov 2007 at 10:06pm
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 8:43am
I guess I should be a good paddler and go paddle, or work on my shoulder, but that is not what I am going to do. I am going to get right back on and Laugh out Loud baby. Cuz if your last post Brett was not yet another big fat shameless promotion of jackson I don't know what is. Simply put your posts of late resemble the strategy of a sideways politician grasping for things to validate his distortion of the truth.

Dude don't fight it... just let that black spiderman suit cover you up... It will give you powers that you have never felt before.

I guess the thing that I find the funniest about this whole thing is that new boaters really have the least amount of need for a specific boat or special design. Its the advanced boaters that have that need.

I hate to say this but sales and advertising are a process of business and not a something that can be changed. I will explain... When beginners buy a boat, thats a sale for the boating company. Without sales they go out of business. Advertising is when the boating company uses different ways of gaining attention to their product and company. One method of advertising is Sponsorship. See so your a sponsor because your helping increase sales. If you decreased sales you would not be a sponsor you would be a liability, and if you left to go to riot you would be a competitor. i am guessing both would result in a loss of sponsorship.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 8:58am
That last little bit was a little spiteful... Brett you know I love ya. Let me put it in a different scene. If I were to start talking about PP and how it was the best site on the internet, then I said I am un-bias and I just want to help new boaters get situated in a good community for posting and that I would recommend any board or community, its just that PP is the best.

Lol ... well that would be a lie. I want to rule the world, I want to force the White House to its knees and into re-form, I want to become a supreme dicktatortot that could in one motion force everyone on the planet to play glowing frisbee... just for the change it will have in their life!!! Of course that would be the bad example because everyone knows the benefits of Glowing Frisbee... By the way I got in a session this last weekend and it was superb... Franz you would have been in heaven!
CRG Productions
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote CRG Productions Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 9:38am
The Glowing Frisbee was pretty awesome! My first encouter with it and..well...life changing is a great term for it!
www.gorgehits.com
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version