Professor Paddle: Physical Therapist recommendation? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Physical Therapist recommendation? Post Reply Post New Topic
Willy
WW Industry
WW Industry

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Willy Replybullet Topic: Physical Therapist recommendation?
    Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 8:08am
So I gotta start rehabbing the shoulder soon. Last time I went through this my PT guy had not even the first clue about paddling. Strange. So does anyone out there have a good recommendation for an experienced PT who can rehab me with a focus on paddling? Preferably someone who is a boater themselves?
Ruby Creek Boathouse LLC
Eddyline, Stohlquist, Bending Branches, Esquif, Skwoosh Cushions, Costa Del Mar shades, Danuu, CRG Rec Repair, Pakboats, YakGrips
http://rubycreekboathouse.blogspot.com/
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 9:10am
You should go to Bellingham Physical Therapy and request Heather Kreizenbeck.  She could help you a lot, she is also rehabing her own shoulder.
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 9:25am
I know it is a trek for you but a good friend of mine, Joe Aponik, at Cascade Medical Center in Leavenworth is not only a physical therapist but a great kayaker as well. He would be a great person to work with or at least talk to in regards to finding a good therapist on the westside. Give me a call if you would like, 425-466-8370. Hope all is well and congrats on the "retirement" if you will.
Chris Ohta
H2Ohta
Hunter
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Hunter Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 12:03pm
Hey Bill
I would recommend going to see my wife, Anita, at Pro Sports club.  She is not really a paddler (mostly a paddle rafter in my boat) but she knows the sport well and the shoulder even better.  I went to her for about a month after I dislocated my shoulder and torn my labrum on the Sky.  Together we designed some cool paddle related exercises.  Pro Sports is an epic facility too.  The trick with shoulder rehab for paddlers is you just can't quit - ever!  As soon as you stop doing your rubberband exercises (or paddling) things start loosening up in there, your shoulder gets sloppy and then you get some kind of impingement or tendonitis.  So if you (or anyone on here) wants some free PT advice feel free to ask.  I work mostly with kids now but I still have all that orthopedic PT stuff stored somewhere in the back of my head.....
Hunter
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 2:09pm
I used Nicole at Seattle Orthopedic Center in Wallingford after open surgery from a torn labrum and she was great!  Not a paddler though.
raindancer
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote raindancer Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 3:29pm

I blew out my shoulder snowboarding 2 seasons ago, and went to Ballard Sports Medicine.  Vicki Lube set up a sweet rehab program and curtailed it to my intended spring / summer activity. (kayaking)...   They definetly have experience dealing w/ Kayakers, and  are good people.  Plus my shoulder has felt bomber since....

Good luck

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
toddg
Paddler
Paddler

Quote toddg Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 5:32pm
hey bill --

i had my shoulder worked on last year on oct 1 & paddled my first whitewater (sky) just 8 weeks later. most people would scoff at this, and while i was super tentative & nervous, once i got over the initial fear factor, it was all about speedy recovery after that.  i attribute the quick (& thus far, lasting) recovery to 4 things:

1. constant isometric resistance exercises as soon after surgery as i was able
2. a PT program put together by 2 dudes who "get it" & whose goal is getting you "back to sport" asap
3. yoga
4. climbing

since you didn't ask about the other stuff, i'll just say that i fully recommend consulting with Dave at this place:

Pioneer Sports & Physical Therapy

506 2nd Ave # 100
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 264-9780

hit me up on email if you have any other specific questions or whatever.

later,
t

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 10:08am
Speaking of all this... I got back from the doc yesterday and I have a sprained rotater cuff and it might be torn. Going in to get an MRI on wednesday of next week.

This is not a club that I want to join!!! Heres to hoping its just a sprain.

J
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 11:42am
Good luck James.   Mine is still messed up from Idaho, I am procrastinating going ot the MD, cuz I dont want to know.
Sure?
Willy
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Willy Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 3:37pm
So in the midst of all that discusssion a while back, I neglected to thank everyone for all your input. I start PT soon so gotta make a decision. One name I heard in a PM which I stupidly deleted, was Mike Stano... anyone got his contact info?

Thanks all you guys n gals for all your ideas. Hope to be back on the water by Spring, yeah baby.
Ruby Creek Boathouse LLC
Eddyline, Stohlquist, Bending Branches, Esquif, Skwoosh Cushions, Costa Del Mar shades, Danuu, CRG Rec Repair, Pakboats, YakGrips
http://rubycreekboathouse.blogspot.com/
cronar
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote cronar Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 7:33am
Yes, Bill I do.  Check your PM again and this time print it.
-Nick
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version