Professor Paddle: Boat for the Grand Canyon vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Boat for the Grand Canyon Post Reply Post New Topic
Camrun
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Camrun Replybullet Topic: Boat for the Grand Canyon
    Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 9:18am
Hi all,
I have a permit for the Grand in August. What would folks suggest for a boat?? I have a Riot Sniper. Any feedback on kayaking the Grand would also be greatly appreciated. My 15 yr old will be boating it as well.
Thanks
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jojo
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jojo Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 9:30am
My buddy used a Jackson Fun on our trip last year and he was very happy.  Most of the Grand is flatwater so I would suggest a boat that is comfy in the flats and easy to paddle.  The rapids are not as big as the stories about them.  They are super fun and a creek or river runner would be ideal in dealing with a few of them but out of 250 miles there are maybe five big rapids.  Most of the crazy eddylines I saw where in weird places during flat stretches and not in the rapids.
rainpaddle
Paddler
Paddler

Quote rainpaddle Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Camrun

Hi all,
I have a permit for the Grand in August. What would folks suggest for a boat?? I have a Riot Sniper. Any feedback on kayaking the Grand would also be greatly appreciated. My 15 yr old will be boating it as well.
Thanks

I used a Pyranha Burn which, for me, was a good choice. My buddy used a Jackson Fun which looked like a great choice. Trip leader used a Drago Rossi Pintail. Others used slalom boats. Comfort is key. I liked the maneuverability of the Burn, as muddy water was hard to read and lower flows reveal more rocks. Speaking of muddy water, bring along some adhesive medical tape. When the water goes brown the silt really affects your handling of the paddle shaft. I was greatful for it as some slippage occurred at inappropriate times. The Rivermaps Guidebook to the Colorado of the Grand Canyon by Tom Martin was a great book to have along for the rapid, hike and camp descriptions. It is truly a great river adventure.

Cheers,

Rob G
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 11:59am
You will be fine in a well outfitted play boat.
Moon
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Moon Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 2:26pm
I leave this week for my trip and I am taking 2 boats.....a Jackson Fun and a Cataraft to put it on during the flat water.

I know a lot of folks have taken squirt boats and have some great stories of mystery moving entire rapids... fun but not my style

I have done tons of boating in silty rivers and while the medical tape is a great idea, I prefer some surf board wax for my control hand only... anything on you non-control leads to big blisters.
Camrun
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Camrun Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 3:01pm
Great feedback, thanks. Interesting about the Fun. I have one and I have been hearing this boat mentioned several times now in different places. Comfort vs play is a big concern. Our party will probably require a few of us to be in the kayaks quite a bit of the time just due to raft space. I did the Green last year in the Fun and I was miserable a lot of the time. The river was low, slow and HOT. So again any comments on the Sniper since I already own it or should I look for a bit bigger play boat?

rainpaddle
Paddler
Paddler

Quote rainpaddle Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Moon

I leave this week for my trip and I am taking 2 boats.....a Jackson Fun and a Cataraft to put it on during the flat water.

I know a lot of folks have taken squirt boats and have some great stories of mystery moving entire rapids... fun but not my style

I have done tons of boating in silty rivers and while the medical tape is a great idea, I prefer some surf board wax for my control hand only... anything on you non-control leads to big blisters.

I worried about that too, but it didn't happen. When the temps got hot the wax melted and never contributed towards grip. Pretty much every one bailed on the wax after a few days and just used med tape. Your pending trip doesn't seem like it'll be as warm as it was for us. Have a blast, I wanna go back! The Fun is a great boat for the river.

Cheers,

Rob G
Moon
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Moon Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Camrun

Comfort vs play is a big concern. Our party will probably require a few of us to be in the kayaks quite a bit of the time just due to raft space. I did the Green last year in the Fun and I was miserable a lot of the time. The river was low, slow and HOT. So again any comments on the Sniper since I already own it or should I look for a bit bigger play boat?

Tell your group to man up and rent some rubber!  Hell you need more rubber on the trip, I loan you my raft..... it comes pre-packaged with a rower!   When you think about all the crap (literally 336 userdays worth) you take on a trip, the weight and space of a kayak is nothing if you agree to row anytime your kayak is strapped on.

While the grand is the trip of a life time and you want to have fun/be comfortable.... don't buy a kayak that you won't enjoy when the trip is over.

never paddled a sniper so I can't comment
kebm1979
Paddler
Paddler

Quote kebm1979 Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 4:56pm
So jealous. I did the GC in June of 2004, and took my inazone as it was good for surfing and comfortable. The fun could be a great choice too if are comfortable in it. However, if I am lucky enough to go again. I would do the whole thing in my own raft, renting one if necessary. Like others have said the whitewater isn't really that exciting, but the canyon itself is amazing. Go on as many sides hikes as possible. I orginally went as a safety kayaker and backup rower, but I ended up rowing more than half the trip for several different reasons. You don't have to be a very skilled rower to do the GC, just being coordinated, and more importantly smart about how to navigate a raft and reading water.

As one said previously if you are short on rubber, all the people not providing a raft should contribute to rent another one from PRO or somebody else. It is worth it for sure.

Have fun!
km
Camrun
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Camrun Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 10:30pm
It's not the rubber but the rowers. This is my second time down. The first time I rowed  the whole thing and it was the first river I ever rowed. (You all are absolutely right, if you can read water and are somewhat aware of where you are, this is not a hard river. Even though I had never rowed I had no probs) Three of us had to combine permits to get next year's permit. I have a family of five and I'm the only one who could row of my family. We are asking a friend to come and help with the rowing so I can paddle. With having to combine permits and everyone wanting to invite family we may well end up being short on experienced rowers.
It is so hard to get a permit now that people end up having to combine permits which really cut down on having the ideal group make up. As it turns out to have an experienced oars person on our raft, at least 3 of my family will also need to be on that boat. The other permit holders are forced to decide on family or oars people as well. It gets to be a mess.
Since I can't decide for the other permit holders whether they will trade a friend or family member for a oars person, I decided that my family's raft should be pretty self sufficient and unfortunately full.
In the ideal world I would have my own permit for 16 people and could invite a balanced group of family, friends and experienced rowers. (Not that they are mutually exclusive but you get my point .)

Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 12:23am
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  
kebm1979
Paddler
Paddler

Quote kebm1979 Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 11:06am
Get tips Kyle, I imagine horn the ditch is a lot different at 800cfs.  The thing that practically drove me crazy with my group was they were so slow setting up and breaking camp.  If you are going down with people who are new to multiday trips, I would recommend planning days of a simple menu and camp to correspond to the days you want to do longer hikes so you have the time to do them. 

Also I was so happy I brought my poogies.  They really were a life saver in protecting my hands from the sun, when I was kayaking.

Suerte,
km
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version