Professor Paddle: Chronicles of Giardia vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Chronicles of Giardia Post Reply Post New Topic
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Topic: Chronicles of Giardia
    Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 10:17am
Well, I'm thinking I have contracted Giardia for the second time.  It's been about four years since the last episode and boy was that fun, I think I lost about 15 pounds that time. 

I think this one is courtesy of the Green River on Thanksgiving, the last time I boated.  I'm pondering just waiting it out and seeing if it goes away in a week or so since my insurance won't cover the lab tests and they are a bit pricey.  Anyone else ever try that?  And am I the only one that has gotten this damn bug twice?

Oh ya, is anyone hitting the Sky tomorrow?  I might be game if my energy levels stay up.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 10:50am
Do you need an extra $*% plug?
xanthopb
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Can Fangula the Greek!

Quote xanthopb Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 11:37am
Brutal.

Maybe it's E Coli.  Have you eaten at Taco Bell recently?

-Brad
O-Qua Tangin Wann
Sisu
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Sisu Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 1:22pm
Your doctor may give you a prescription for flagel without the tests if you have the symptoms and indicate that you have been playing in the Green.  Some people say goldenseal does the trick, and there are some other natural remedies to try (didn't work for me).
Hydro
Super Looper
Super Looper
-logy 101

Quote Hydro Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 2:38pm
Tequila, Lots of it.
Whiskey as a backup

I had an unpleasant run-in with that disgusting bug this summer as the heat fermented the skykomish.  I lost 10-15 lbs too and was knocked way out for a week or two. 

Doc tested me, confirmed it, and gave me the prescription for flagel. However I never took it since by that time I finally felt like I was on the mend.  I don't think he would have given the prescription without the test though.  Unfortunately from my understanding, the fix is about as bad as the bug.  It really nukes your interior of good and bad bugs.  Typical normal course of the bug is like 6 weeks - so if you can ride it out, try. 

This is gross, but don't eat any greasy stuff - the bug stops the GI from digesting the oils, and well, you'll smell the result.   

An old paddler girlfriend had it and tried everything to knock the bug for weeks - western med, holistic, diet stuff - nothing worked.  Finally, she got sloshed on tequila one night and the bug was done.  I swear I felt better after a stiff whiskey this summer. 

If you need an excuse to drink the bug away - it's the 12 bars of Xmas saturday night in Fremont!!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 3:15pm

Hmm, our company Xmas party is tomorrow night with an open bar, maybe I can nuke it there...       I forgot what meds they gave me last time, they got rid of it, but it took over a week.  I've heard that some of the meds with some of the people result in worse side effects than the little bugger itself.

John, you still have that Flagel??

Hydro
Super Looper
Super Looper
-logy 101

Quote Hydro Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 3:47pm
Am I supposed to share prescriptions on a public forum!?!  Deals Everyday at Hydro's Med Shack!

Take 10 shots and call me in the morning.
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 4:12pm
Dood, c'mon...I sold you some meth last week.  
Hydro
Super Looper
Super Looper
-logy 101

Quote Hydro Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 4:26pm

Yeah, meth is great.  Who needs a job anymore, when you can just smash kayaker vehicles for your next installment.  Bah.

You must have begun your treatment already!

BTW - I find it entertaining to note that your thread title is about the best metaphorical description of the horrible christian-laced film of hypocritical and deceiving values.  It puts the right smell to that film.  And yes, you can ask, what the hell prompted me to watch it...?

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version